4 of 8 Axi motors Loose ? to worry ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

been flying all day as far as lipo recharge and weather allowed. Packing in now i noticed that 4 of my 8 axis motors, some of them never involved in any craches are loose. The actual outer casing is loose compared to the other ones.

Small vid to explains. Time to service them get new ones or it normal ?

http://sprealinvest.at/axi.MOV

Thanks

Boris

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
boris,
from what I've seen, that's normal. the 8 roxxy motors on my first mk were the same way.
bart

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm okay I am a little worried though. Do you guys ever take you motors apart and service clean them ?

Boris

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
boris,
it's a matter of the clip ring on the bottom of the shaft bearing against the lower motor bearing. depending on where the motor bell is located on the shaft it will determine how much play there is. some motors are very consistent, some aren't. the Roxxy motors are consistently loose. I'd guess it's part of the break in process that some loosen up and some don't. Take one apart and have a look. I think you'll find that that little bit of movement is ok.
have fun,
bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
hmm i think i will take one apart and check out whats going on. It cant be good.

Boris.. Take the props off and carry out a motor test. Do one at a time and listed carfully to the sound.. You will here ones that are worn. I do this in conjunction with my iPhone and the 'Vibration' app it is very good at showing vibrations on the arm the motor is on.. after my crash I changed three of the six motors as they were way worse than the others. This is now part of my standard service procedure. Its also a good way of checking balanced props...Just make sure you have your copter strapped down!

FlyEYE

I had the same question here a while back and will confirm what Bart said. You probably won't find much to service. In my case it was simple how far the shaft was pressed in. A bit of inconsistency between motors.

you can shim them a little bit if it makes you feel better. Just keep in mind that things expand as they heat up so if you shim them tight when they are cool then they may bind up a bit when things heat up.

I would not worry about it personally, the thrust load will keep them from slopping around much in flight

Tabb

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
you can shim them a little bit if it makes you feel better. Just keep in mind that things expand as they heat up so if you shim them tight when they are cool then they may bind up a bit when things heat up.

I would not worry about it personally, the thrust load will keep them from slopping around much in flight

Tabb

Hi Tabb.. welcome to MRF.. Do you want to tell us a bit about yourself?

Dave