How clear are your TX channels

Cheshirecat

Not sure if these have been discussed before (appologies if a re post)
But i have recently started using one of these to check the 2.4Ghz congestion where i am flying.

http://www.wi-spy.co.uk/index.php/products/wi-spy

I actually use these in the day job to help manage our WiFi network and it took a while for the penny to drop that they would be useful for checking the area when flying.
Altough they are specifically designed to help with channel setting on WiFi networks they are also useful for showing what else is transmitting across the band and how strong the signal is.
They detect a wide rang of 2.4Ghz sources (Cordless phones, Security cameras, IP cameras, Microwave transmitters even Microwave oven leakage)
You can switch on your TX and see the curve appear and then see what it is overlapping with and how strong the other source is on the dBm scale.

I was suprised how much clutter there is standing in an open field altough to date i have not encountered a signal so much stonger than my TX to make me ground the flight. They make a 2.4 + 5Ghz model as well which can help with Video TX fine tuning (in the UK at least)

I realise the above may read like an add but i have no affiliation at all to them, i find it reassuring to use one and they are relatively cheap and easy to use.

Happy Hovering...

kloner

Aerial DP
we use rc explorers. notice that one doesn't do the 433 ezuhf/dragonlink bands. immersion released a 400-5.8 pocket scanner for $150 that is really nice for doing this as well.... easy to deploy.

these really help find a dying electronic part. they start to emit noise, range decreases

gtranquilla

RadioActive
So what this all seems to suggest, is that even 2.4 Ghz fhss RC control can be compromised if there is an excessive amount of rf traffic and/or high intensity rf noise across the portions of the spectrum used for your RC radio system!!!

Haven't been able to track down the Immersion 400 - 5.8Ghz pocket scanner yet....... seems like a good choice.
Andthe Wi-Spy units seem to be exclusively sold in Europe although there was mention of these being used at the Vancouver Winter Olympics a few years ago.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
we use rc explorers. notice that one doesn't do the 433 ezuhf/dragonlink bands. immersion released a 400-5.8 pocket scanner for $150 that is really nice for doing this as well.... easy to deploy.

these really help find a dying electronic part. they start to emit noise, range decreases

Any idea if Immersion still do the pocket scanner, not listed on their site as far as I can see?

Pete

Cheshirecat

So what this all seems to suggest, is that even 2.4 Ghz fhss RC control can be compromised if there is an excessive amount of rf traffic and/or high intensity rf noise across the portions of the spectrum used for your RC radio system!!!

Haven't been able to track down the Immersion 400 - 5.8Ghz pocket scanner yet....... seems like a good choice.
Andthe Wi-Spy units seem to be exclusively sold in Europe although there was mention of these being used at the Vancouver Winter Olympics a few years ago.

No not really it just means anything you can do to reduce risk is a good thing, i guess the chances of Solar activity affecting a flight are low but still worth checking in advance.
They come from a company based in Boise Idaho so should be available state side and in Canada (the link was to the European site)

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I use the wi-spy too. I think it is an excellent device and it gives you a very good idea on what is happening. How you react to it is up to you but with this, at least it is an informed decision. I found it particularly useful in London where 2.4 is hit hard with wifi and all sorts of things. With the the TX on it was clear that we were burning through all the other 2.4 traffic and thus I was much happier to fly than I would otherwise have been. How else do you make an informed decision about the environment surrounding your command link? This is an important point often over looked.