The Motor, ESC, Prop and Lipo Recipe

adanac

I am new to this but it's clear that there is a formula, or at least a loose set of rules that dictate the interdependent relationships between motors, esc's, props and power, and I would love to know it. Is there a primer on this out there somewhere, hopefully one as well-articulated as Bart's explanation of lipos?

Obviously, I would love this as general knowledge but also have an immediate need: I have an F450 and Disco Pro and I'd like to be able to use the same battery, if possible. Could I use the 4S-30C-4500mAh lipo from the Disco Pro on the F450?

sledge57

Everyone is going to direct you to E-Calc I'm pretty sure, another confusing bit but again once you figure it out it's helpful.

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en

Don't know why you couldn't, as long as esc's and motors are rated for 4s, flight times will vary obviously due to weight, motors etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

I agree. I think most motors usually come with information as to battery sizes and amperage ranges and/or it's provided in the sales and marketing information. My motors had recommendations for battery sizes and ESC's.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
No problems with using that battery on a basic 450, if the weight is light you will get a better run time on the Disco Pro.

Depending on the motors you have on your Disco Pro you may get even better performance buy using other props, the DJI 10x3.8 come to mind.

Pete

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
THIS video may help with the very basic rules/calculations. You may know this stuff already, but it's definitely a good primer...