motor balance with/without collet adapter?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey folks,

I have been doing my best to make sure my quad is as balanced as possible - before I get it into the air, so that any tweaks needed though trim/PID are minimal (hopefully!). I have read a bunch about the pros and cons of collet-style prop adapters, but it's what I have at the moment. It makes sense to me that the cheap adapters (came with the Turnigy D2830/11 motors I bought) may be of such low quality to throw off the balance. This would obviously counteract the balancing I am doing for the motors and props, once the rig is fully installed on the quad.

So I am wondering if it makes sense to balance the motors with the collet adapters installed on the shaft (no prop of course)? Would this help for a better balance - as long as I marked a position of where the adapter would land when tightened to the prop? Thinking I could mark it for repeatability.

Bad idea??? What are you all doing to ensure the best possible balance?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Best thing you can do on the XP 2830/11's is to shorten the shafts, they are very long.

Balance will never be as good as the short shaft motors but they work well enough on 3S and a lightweight setup.

Pete