Panasonic's next GH mirrorless camera will record 4K video late February unde...

jfro

Aerial Fun
Unfortunately GH4 will record 4K footage with maximum 100mbps, not 200mbps as in Full HD (1920x1080).

You are correct. I went back to read some of the forum conversations, and that number came up on a "wish list" for a future hack, which I'm guessing won't happen. VK hacked the Gh1 and Gh2, which I still use, but my GH3 is still running in stock form as they have never successfully hacked it. I'm thinking about this camera, depending on price. Have the glass, so it's just body, storage media, and batteries. Will wait to see what the price tag is...

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
We can argue all we like about 4k v this and that but at the end if the day, if that is what the market is after then we need to supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adanac

I totally agree. I will probably buy it because it will be what clients ask for. Not all, but a lot of producers are producers because they have a phone. Out of all the people I've worked with in film and tv, producers are by far the stupidest. My mother used to be a post-production supervisor and I was complaining to her about some clue-bag producer I was working with and she said, apparently quoting a saying she knew, "Yesterday I couldn't spell producer and today I are one."

Sorry, getting off track. The point is that producers echo what they hear elsewhere, so if shooting on an iPhone became the trend, that's what they would want. I can't count how many times I've heard a producer ask for a RED without the slightest idea why they wanted it.

Just a note about this term "price point," which has become popular amongst people who want to sound sophisticated. Unfortunately, it has the opposite result because it's not the same as "price." Unless "panny," to use the cutsey term (are we calling Canon "Canny" yet?) shares with you all of their different price points and demand curves for an item, you can just say "price." It takes less time and is, after all, the correct term for price, unlike "price point." :) :) :)

We can argue all we like about 4k v this and that but at the end if the day, if that is what the market is after then we need to supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Maybe you guys can help me with a long awaited decision. I have a Canon 7d with a pretty good assortment of glass and i know the camera relatively well. It is however big and heavy. I also have/have access to a cx760, nex5,fs700, rx100, and the gopros are not worth mentioning. So on one hand I could just keep my Canon and buy the GH but I kinda feel like I could save the clutter and go full mft. Here's some of my concerns maybe someone with both cameras could chime in on. I posted a link with a very helpful video showing the relationship between DOF, FOV and sensor size. I want to hear it from someone else......can you obtain a shallow depth of field with the faster lenses available on mft? What if I use my Canon glass on the GH4? The thing is that having Canon glass makes it nice for other cameras down the line and I am not inclined to replace my 50, 24-70, 100 macro, 100-300, and tokina 11-16 with the thousands it would take to get the same coverage in MFT glass. So I have to decide if it is better to wait for the metabones to reliably work with the new GH in adapting EF to MFT. I do like the smaller size lenses for traveling. It sounds like the GH4 will take action shots decently well. But I do 75% video and really want the added perks the GH line has to offer. What would you do if you had to choose one or the other? I'm quite torn.

adanac

I am going to keep both platforms. I haven't shot with MFT but have a fair amount of money in a 5D and various Canon, Rokinon, Tokina and Leica lenses. I don't really make money shooting stills with my 5D but I hope to (shooting food). It's such a proven, industry-accepted platform that I would be afraid to completely switch. I guess this is also your quandry.

Let me answer your question with another question. Doesn't the Zenmuse for the GH3, for example, require you use a single lens? Is there another gimbal out there that would let you choose various lenses, add a metabones adapter, etc? If the answer is no, then would that not inform your choice?

And, to carry that question further, would DJI make an adapter for the GH3 Zenmuse, or would they make a completely new one?

Maybe you guys can help me with a long awaited decision. I have a Canon 7d with a pretty good assortment of glass and i know the camera relatively well. It is however big and heavy. I also have/have access to a cx760, nex5,fs700, rx100, and the gopros are not worth mentioning. So on one hand I could just keep my Canon and buy the GH but I kinda feel like I could save the clutter and go full mft. Here's some of my concerns maybe someone with both cameras could chime in on. I posted a link with a very helpful video showing the relationship between DOF, FOV and sensor size. I want to hear it from someone else......can you obtain a shallow depth of field with the faster lenses available on mft? What if I use my Canon glass on the GH4? The thing is that having Canon glass makes it nice for other cameras down the line and I am not inclined to replace my 50, 24-70, 100 macro, 100-300, and tokina 11-16 with the thousands it would take to get the same coverage in MFT glass. So I have to decide if it is better to wait for the metabones to reliably work with the new GH in adapting EF to MFT. I do like the smaller size lenses for traveling. It sounds like the GH4 will take action shots decently well. But I do 75% video and really want the added perks the GH line has to offer. What would you do if you had to choose one or the other? I'm quite torn.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont do DJI anything. I have an AV200 on servos, works well enough. I'm also not asking for aerials at all. I would just like to have one or the other. I find if I have too many different systems I forget how they work when I need to use it in a jiffy. I also like to exchange toys for new toys so doubling up on cameras AND lenses makes this a hard thing to justify. But I love my Canon glass. ugg.

adanac

I understand. A can see why the DOF question is an important one. If it helps at all, I have read more than once that there are very good lenses in the MFT line, which has re-assured me about purchasing a GH4.

Is there no attraction for you in shooting 4K aerials?

I dont do DJI anything. I have an AV200 on servos, works well enough. I'm also not asking for aerials at all. I would just like to have one or the other. I find if I have too many different systems I forget how they work when I need to use it in a jiffy. I also like to exchange toys for new toys so doubling up on cameras AND lenses makes this a hard thing to justify. But I love my Canon glass. ugg.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It may happen. I have had a few occasions where I would like to add tracking markers on a green screen and crop it down to hd. Would have saved me some serious manual track fix nightmares. Also, the higher bit rate can make processes based off of interpolation be a little smoother. Zoom into a green screen shot with a bad lighting job and before you know it there is so much macro blocking and trash that I either need to roto the object or end up turning the gain up so much the person has no hair left! :) So in short, yes it might be nice to have the higher quality for doing the post stuff. Ultimately if you pay attention to detail and properly light your scene, most cameras would work fine. But I dont do this every dau and often rush things that get me in trouble later in post. If I were just doing aerials I wouldnt give a crap. Though things like post stabilization are also interpolation based and the cleaner the source the better the outcome.

Burntpixel

Never ever sell your glass. If you have L series glass keep them. Go FULL FRAME and if the gods are nice he will grant us mere mortals with a GLOBAL SHUTTER! And yes you can obtain shallow depth of field with a MFT camera and fast lens.

I shot this video with a Panny GH2 and a Canon 50MM lens with real life adaptor. That lens set was made back in the early 70,s and is slow @ F 3.5

jfro

Aerial Fun

I had similar question 3-4 years ago with my 5d Mark II when I bought my first mft gh1. I am still trying to figure out what to do. In short, I now have way too many lens. 3- L lens and a few non L lens, plus a bunch of old manual Nikon lens with both Canon and mft adapters. I also have 4-5 mft lens and looking at more. You can get shallow dof with the 4/3, but not on the same level as with the Canon's on the larger sensors. I grab the Canon when I'm shooting in very low light, esp for stills. Video is just not as noisy, but that being said, I use my mft cam a fair amount in some low light situations. There are some reasonably priced fast lens. Biggest issue is it's hard to go real wide.

My suggestion would be to add on. Your 7D isn't going to depreciate too much more and your lens will hold their value. Until you get iris control on the Canon lens on the mft cameras, IMO, they are kind of worthless. Maybe Metabones or someone else will get it figured out some day, but right now, I just don't use the Canon lens on my Panny mft cameras. Occasionally, I'll goof with my 70-200 II L lens, but without being able to easily change f-stops, it's not of much value. Also, the big zoom is more for photos and the mft's don't do it for me on stills. The 5D still rules for stills.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Well as helpful as these comments are, they are not helping. :) I was hoping for " sell that old canon crap and buy all new stuff. "

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Iris man, just sell that old canon crap and buy all new stuff, you know it makes sense!:)

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
I sold all my Olympus OM series stuff few years back OM4Ti and a load of primes as I wasn't using them anymore (35mm) got peanuts for them on fleebay. Even though they would be paperweights on my desk I still regret selling them to this day. My advice would be to keep the canon gear and go for the GH4, I think that you will end up using both for different reasons...

Quinton

It may happen. I have had a few occasions where I would like to add tracking markers on a green screen and crop it down to hd. Would have saved me some serious manual track fix nightmares. Also, the higher bit rate can make processes based off of interpolation be a little smoother. Zoom into a green screen shot with a bad lighting job and before you know it there is so much macro blocking and trash that I either need to roto the object or end up turning the gain up so much the person has no hair left! :) So in short, yes it might be nice to have the higher quality for doing the post stuff. Ultimately if you pay attention to detail and properly light your scene, most cameras would work fine. But I dont do this every dau and often rush things that get me in trouble later in post. If I were just doing aerials I wouldnt give a crap. Though things like post stabilization are also interpolation based and the cleaner the source the better the outcome.

The GH4 will be perfect for green screen, it will have 1080 4:2:2 10 bit clean hdmi out, (I believe) just hook it up to an external recorder like a Ninja 2 and record in Prores.
Actually I just googled and the 7D has clean HDMI out too, just get yourself a Ninja, and grab the HDMI straight from sensor.

sim_io

The GH4 will shoot 4k at 100Mbps, that doesn't leave a lot of room for range and color correction, this is probably the upsetting part of the camera and what is up that 1080p gets twice the bit-rate at 200Mbps? if anything 4k needs it, really eerie. Although it was thoughtful for them to offer clean 4:2:2 HDMI which is excellent for the studio environment it has very limited use in the multicopter world.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Heres another great read. http://www.eoshd.com/content/12057/4k-camera-masses-gh4-vs-blackmagic-production-camera

I never thought to get an external recorder for my 7d. Good idea. It would also help bridge the gap in the decision between the GH$ and the BMPC. I dont care so much about aerials as I do some other things. If the BMPC could over crank that would most likely be my answer. I think I am hoping for too much. I want the Phantom Miro , the ability to take photos, huge DR, use all my Canon glass in something the size of my Sony RX100 so I can travel easily with it and get the camera in precarious positions using smaller rigs. :)

EDIT: Just read that the 7D doesnt have a clean hdmi out. Would do me no good to record the stupid red record icon!