THE first flight test of DJI A2 FC firmware upgrade V2.1

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok so Bart is hankering after closing the long thread I started about the paper weight that was the A2.

But so people can still read my trials and tribulations it will still be readable here

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...re-may-change-my-opinion)&p=140739#post140739

I have now built a craft to trial the new V2,1 firmware on.

Here is Part on of the first flight test and review.

First impressions - GPS MODE

More to come in Part 2

Part 2 Including return to home and failsafe

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
What a great video Dave! I really want an iPad now :02.47-tranquillity:. That is exactly the kind of review we need more of.

Thanks for taking the time to put that together, in this lovely weather too!

Looking forward to part 2!

Benjamin Kenobi

Looked great! You certainly put it through it's paces. My heart thumped a little harder when you turned off the tx :dejection: !

"1001% better...boys and girls" I love your down to earth explanations Dave! They instill confidence. Although let's be honest, we haven't seen any girls on the forum for quite some time!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
my favorite part was where he turned his iPad so we couldn't see the password!

nice job Dave, thanks for the documentation of everything. maybe now i won't have to be mentioned by name in most of your posts? maybe my ears will eventually stop ringing? :)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Great work Dave! Will you be trying out some waypoint missions as well?

Cheers,
Andy

Their on the todo list!

First thing first and thats the XMX3HL that been sat on the bench for three months and I just flew for the first time since the disastrous maiden on V1.

Dave

triise

I'm pretty new to my S800&A2. I was flying a bit with the V.1 of the firmware and was used to this, but when I upgraded, the S800 was acting in another way. As you say in the video, the new firmware version is a bit different.

I'm a totalt newbie and is wondering what gains I should use on my S800/a2/Z15 w/nex-5n. Do you have any suggestions? I'm doing smooth flying and no acrobatic manouvers.

Also, after the upgrade I have a LED-combination I can't understand. 1 violet, then 5 rapid violets. See attached video:
Anyone knows what that means?

Regards from snowy winter northern Norway,
Tore Riise

Also, check out my phantom/gopro video from christmas :)

jmachuca

Well, I finally had time to test it out. For me the A2 flies pretty much the same with 2.1 and 2.0 the same aggressive moves when reaching a waypoint and moving to the next. it seems when I turn on RTL or do a waypoint flight, when starting to move to the next waypoint or going home, it commands a full deflection until the desired speed is reached and then levels out. Very aggressive for my taste. I still have to do a lot of tuning on it I guess to get it flying better.

That said in GPS mode it holds position pretty well and altitude changes are very smooth. For a manual video flight I think its great, but for automatic survey work there are still a lot of things I don't like. I have a video but the drone is so small you can't really tell what its doing. I will post it in a little while.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Also, after the upgrade I have a LED-combination I can't understand. 1 violet, then 5 rapid violets. See attached video:
Anyone knows what that means?

Regards from snowy winter northern Norway,
Tore Riise

What mode are you in? It looks like a very lazy GPS mode after you have started motors then stopped them indicating you are within 10m of motor initialisation.

Dave

triise

What mode are you in? It looks like a very lazy GPS mode after you have started motors then stopped them indicating you are within 10m of motor initialisation.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm in GPS mode. It is the same LED blinking all the way from starting engines until I disconnect the power.
I know that SIX violet blinks means within 8 m of HP, but what does 5 mean?

Tore

PS. the video is slowed down 4 times.

Gerthart

Great videos and thanks for the thorough testing, Dave! Looking forward to your additional tests. I may be flying my new S800 sooner than I anticipated!

triise

Looks as it was the HP indication after all. I manned up and flew away today, and the 5 violet LEDs were gone when I was more than 10 m away.

DJI should update the manual, because 1 single-5 rapid violets are definitely to be misunderstood when the manual says 6 continuous violet blinks.

Strange thing is that it is present in ATTI as well with 1 orange - 5 violet.

Hope this helps anyone else wondering :)

Benjamin Kenobi

All looked good there mate! Loved the voice over, very calm and even. My wifes from Stavanger and I love Norway!

Excellent videos.... So what is the summary on the bluetooth display of MR voltage level.... a configuration issue or a sw/fw related issue?

ddikie

Thanks Droider & Triise,

I just upgraded mine setup to 2.1 and was wondering what the flashes were..I have also experienced it slipping out of GPS mode on a flight tonight..but it was very windy so perhaps that was the case..more testing needs to be done i think..lets see

ZAxis

So, guys, just what advantages do you see the A2 has over the old WKM ? Is it worth the extra cost ?
Won't a WKM with the V2 IMU just as good ?

andy