Budget camera options - not gopro

Looking for a budget camera to strap to my f450 (yet to build it!) and wondered if anyone could recommend something relatively cheap and cheerful with acceptable results. I bought one of these micro cameras once (ebay special - £20) and stuck it on an epp wing and whilst it was no go pro it was watchable. Don't really want to spend more than £50 to be honest until I know that the quad is a keeper!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The one drawback is that the GoPro uses a rolling shutter which leads to jello effect. By the time jello is eliminated by means of extra MR hardware etc. the MR weight goes up again.
Most other cameras also weigh much more. Weight is a major issue as you could end up spending a lot more money on MR mods to regain lost airtime etc.
Extending MR motor arms and upgrading the motors, batteries etc. to carry extra weight leads you into a significant engineering challenge.
Using eCalc for Multirotors can help but not for all situations.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you want something small and decent image - the Möbius cameras are pretty decent. Under $100 USD and smaller than a gopro, with decent YouTube video example results. No pro video, but certainly passable and fun.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The one drawback is that the GoPro uses a rolling shutter which leads to jello effect. By the time jello is eliminated by means of extra MR hardware etc. the MR weight goes up again.
Most other cameras also weigh much more. Weight is a major issue as you could end up spending a lot more money on MR mods to regain lost airtime etc.
Extending MR motor arms and upgrading the motors, batteries etc. to carry extra weight leads you into a significant engineering challenge.
Using eCalc for Multirotors can help but not for all situations.

Actually they do not have a "shutter" at all, they simply read the CMOS sensor line by line, this is a limitation of most CMOS sensors compared to CCD sensors that read the entire sensor in one pass. Many very expensive D-SLR's sffuer the same fate because they use CMOS sensors these days.

There is plenty of ways to get very good results from the GoPro cameras just as there is many ways to get great results from pretty much any camera, you just need to read!!!

Cheers

Pete

COMike93yj

Still Building!
+1 for the Mobius as well. I have one that I primarily use for a dash cam when tracking my car at the raceway. Outstanding little piece of equipment and they can be had for under $70 bucks.

Here is an EXTENSIVE link to them on RC groups with some pretty great footage from every type of user.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

It can be used for FPV as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNcQd6orvXM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZM5IeTN6XZA1h5WLLDlnog

Here is a link for FPV....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1951912

I will be using this on my F450 until I see the need to change to another camera for whatever reason.