DJI A2 PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY (New firmware may change my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAxis

Dave ...
From my reading of the A2 manual it seems as if you will never get more than the eight channels required by the A2 for sticks, gps select, gimbal control if you use the DSM2 satellites. So if you want LANC, LED on/off, shutter control, etc you're b*****red unless you can use disconnected but bound satellites and normal Spektrum Rx together with channels mapped between them. Not sure how to do this or if its possible.
The DJI S-bus adaptor will at least give you the opportunity to assign 8 channels of your Spektrum Rx to the A2 leaving you all the other channels to do what you want to. .... but its not available right now so I'd suggested the Futaba SBE-1 adaptor that do the same job as it is available immediately. Its does not require any other Futaba gear, its just a module that will sit between the Spektrum Rx and the A2. This way you can keep using the DX18. Seems like it was introduced to allow any Rx to talk to Futaba's well respected heli gyro. I'd talk to some Futaba shop to confirm this if you want to go that way.

andy

Andy I DONT WANT TO USE FUTABA! the quality of TX is absolutely pants compered with the DX18.
IF THEY - DJI had built in telemetry then I may have been tempted but they didn't.. Just a total wist of space and resources to build in a futaba RX in the 'MOST ADVANCED' flight controller!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
It beggars belief that DJI have brought out the A2 without proper support of Spektrum. In the shop I work for, Spektrum out-sells Futaba by a long shot, in fact I don't remember the last multi rotor we sold with a Futaba radio (and I am not saying for one second that Spektrum is better than Futaba or vice versa, that is another argument altogether and one that is argued constantly on this and other RC forums).

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave ...
From my reading of the A2 manual it seems as if you will never get more than the eight channels required by the A2 for sticks, gps select, gimbal control if you use the DSM2 satellites. So if you want LANC, LED on/off, shutter control, etc you're b*****red unless you can use disconnected but bound satellites and normal Spektrum Rx together with channels mapped between them. Not sure how to do this or if its possible.
The DJI S-bus adaptor will at least give you the opportunity to assign 8 channels of your Spektrum Rx to the A2 leaving you all the other channels to do what you want to. .... but its not available right now so I'd suggested the Futaba SBE-1 adaptor that do the same job as it is available immediately. Its does not require any other Futaba gear, its just a module that will sit between the Spektrum Rx and the A2. This way you can keep using the DX18. Seems like it was introduced to allow any Rx to talk to Futaba's well respected heli gyro. I'd talk to some Futaba shop to confirm this if you want to go that way.

andy

Thanks Andy.. give Futaba a ring on monday. you got a link to it.?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
It beggars belief that DJI have brought out the A2 without proper support of Spektrum. In the shop I work for, Spektrum out-sells Futaba by a long shot, in fact I don't remember the last multi rotor we sold with a Futaba radio (and I am not saying for one second that Spektrum is better than Futaba or vice versa, that is another argument altogether and one that is argued constantly on this and other RC forums).

Yep seems pretty dam stupid.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
It does not say on th download page.. so does your assistant now say version 1.1?

Have you managed to connect a Spektrum Satellite?

Dave

It does not say on th download page.. so does your assistant now say version 1.1?

Have you managed to connect a Spektrum Satellite?

Dave

The assistant is still 1.0, but receiver firmware is 1.1. In assistant, click on Tools, then click on A2 FC. From there, you can upgrade receiver (and in future FC).

No, i don't own any Spektrum (i use Futaba). I just wanted to be helpful ;)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The assistant is still 1.0, but receiver firmware is 1.1. In assistant, click on Tools, then click on A2 FC. From there, you can upgrade receiver (and in future FC).

No, i don't own any Spektrum (i use Futaba). I just wanted to be helpful ;)

Hi Magnus. you have been more than helpp full than k you very much.. why oh why oes it not come up in the assistant that there is a new firmware avilible I don't know.

Anyhow yes it worked and I upgraded the receiver firmware to 1.1 and the satellites went to bind mode straight away. It did however take several attempts for get a full bind. It was weird and seemed to partially bind as the LED turned green the satelites went solid but the TX said bind failed. BUT the channels where all mixed uo.

So tried about three more times and I got a full bind.. now to try and start mapping!

OBTW I used new DSMX receivers.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Will do.. just sorted out the can as its crucial you get it right, otherwise you cant calibrate compass successfully

Got four channels at the moment.. going to crack a tinny!

Dave

Tahoe Ed

Will do.. just sorted out the can as its crucial you get it right, otherwise you cant calibrate compass successfully

Got four channels at the moment.. going to crack a tinny!

Dave

Dave don't crack too many tinnies. You may find more channels than those that are there. ;-) I got 7 on my JR9503. I think that I can get the full 8 if I play in the Tx some more. The Aux 1 channel is the one that is giving me the issue. If anyone comes up with a solution for that, I would appreciate it.

This compares to the 12 that I get with my 8FGS. That allows me to control my Zen15. It has been reported that the limiting factor is the Tx and that up to 11 channels are available in a 11 or 12 channel radio. If you have the DX18, I don't know what that will give you. Dave, you are the man to tell us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave don't crack too many tinnies. You may find more channels than those that are there. ;-) I got 7 on my JR9503. I think that I can get the full 8 if I play in the Tx some more. The Aux 1 channel is the one that is giving me the issue. If anyone comes up with a solution for that, I would appreciate it.

This compares to the 12 that I get with my 8FGS. That allows me to control my Zen15. It has been reported that the limiting factor is the Tx and that up to 11 channels are available in a 11 or 12 channel radio. If you have the DX18, I don't know what that will give you. Dave, you are the man to tell us.

Well ALL IS NOT ROSEY IN MY WORKSHOP! Anyone tried setting up the gimbal?
Its flaming arse ways about face on the reverse channels! When you want the pitch to reverse you have to check the roll reverse!

Its more and more obvious that DJI have rushed the releace of the A2 with out it going out to beta testers.. They are just relying on numpties like me handing over serious amounts of money to do their beta testing.. DJI need to look back in to their WooKong origins and instill some of those ethics in to their customer service.

Just goes to show the culture I suppose. Guess we westerners are... well just to trusting...

Really disappointed but I guess they know they have everyone else beat so the can ignore issues like this and ride slip shod knowing that guys like me and the others contributing on here will sort their problems out for the rest..

Ho Hum should have stuck to the cocaine habit it was cheaper!

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Seriously, why is there not a communal strike against Dji with all the complaints people constantly have with their products, firmware and customer service? I know of one great way to show a company you are not happy.......don't buy their products!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Seriously, why is there not a communal strike against Dji with all the complaints people constantly have with their products, firmware and customer service? I know of one great way to show a company you are not happy.......don't buy their products!

Problem is Yuri there is nothing elese out there that performs as good as far as I know. I wouyld love to give a HFP a go but right now I need machine that fly and are reliable. I have to say theWKM has more than proved itself for me. I just thought I would move with newer technology and go with the A2.. maybe a mistake but we will soon find out.. today is maiden for the smaller of the new Y6 machines I have built.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just waiting for the weather and I go give here a whirl in a bigger space than my yard. Have been working on the channel mapping to get remote gain tuning set up. Bit of a mare but once you get into it its fine.

One observation is that the GPS hold seems to be really tight. It does not seem to get lock any quicker. time will tell.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well I just commissioned big Y6 and softer diung all the different firmware upgraded to the unit out of the box it bound second time to the DMSX satellites. Seems the firmware upgrade on the 26th seems to have sorted out issues that should have been sorted before the units where sent out. But I guess that business dragon style!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.