G-Lock First flight test

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up everyone. This is the first footage I have of from the PhotoHigher AV200 with the single Radian controlling all three axis. Thanks to Ben Rolland for supplying the Radian as a test unit for the firmware mode.

Really please with it. You can see how windy it was at the beginning of the video as my mate tried to hold position filming with his f450. It was WINDY. I also had not flown the SJLX4 for weeks and forgot I had the gains on a remote adjust so she could have been flying even better.

For those on limited budget wanting 3axis with out the faff of brushless then its one to consider

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I think so. Just loaded latest firmware ready for more testing with the GH3… brushless AV200 upgrade next.

Dave

janoots2

Looks awesome. Would it be right assume you don't need to perfectly balance the camera if you switch out cameras in the field if you're running servos and not BL?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Correct. That's the beauty of correctly controlled and well flown servo gimbals. Yes you always need to get it as close as possible but you don't have issues if all u have done is add a lens hood!

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
janoots, for what it's worth, i keep a gopro mounted to the underside of the camera tray. sometimes i run it at 2 second intervals, sometimes i don't. when i do i have to remove the lens hood but then sometimes i go wide with the gopro and put the kit lens on for a narrower view. usually this is all done in different combinations within the span of a 45 minute photo shoot without adjusting the position of the camera on the tray.

i'm using a 2 axis servo driven mount of my own design but mine is gear driven. the cinestar-style mounts use belts which aren't quite as tolerant of bad balance as the gears are.

Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
because the belts need to be under equal tension on each side of the pulleys or they load and unload, at least that was my experience with the pulley systems I had tried to use. Also, if the pulleys are mounted directly to the servo output shafts then the side loading of the servo shaft will make the servo jitter. gears use the output of the servos the way they're designed to be used.

servos are also very tolerant of high humidity, dust and dirt......but I'm partial I guess. i keep the gears dry and use graphite from time to time along with a brush to keep them clean. I"m very anxious now to try a radian on my mounts after seeing Dave's video

jes1111

because the belts need to be under equal tension on each side of the pulleys or they load and unload, at least that was my experience with the pulley systems I had tried to use. Also, if the pulleys are mounted directly to the servo output shafts then the side loading of the servo shaft will make the servo jitter. gears use the output of the servos the way they're designed to be used.

servos are also very tolerant of high humidity, dust and dirt......but I'm partial I guess. i keep the gears dry and use graphite from time to time along with a brush to keep them clean. I"m very anxious now to try a radian on my mounts after seeing Dave's video

Makes sense - and points up the need for proper engineering. Servo shafts need to be supported by an external bearing, belt pulleys need very precise centre-to-centre spacing (and a tensioner, ideally), etc.

Close-meshing gears can work in low-torque scenarios like this one but it's bound to be a bit hit and miss. I'm sure you've found already that gears are rarely actually round, teeth are not always the same size and so on. A common technique is to run the gears close-meshed for days so they wear into each other. The tooth-counts matter too - prime numbers so that you don't get repeating patterns - all very voodoo!

Good luck with the Radian/G-Lock thing. As has been said, John Cunningham certainly does things properly - I, too, think it's going to be good.

ovdt

Impressive Dave!

I have started using G-Lock BLD modules with G-Lock (converted from Radian), the results on the bench are quite impressive. I am waiting my motors to arrive; then I will provide some videos with G-Lock BLD drives.

ovdt

What motors are you going with? My BLD modules should arrive tomorrow! I have a 3 axis CS gimbal which I am looking to convert brushless.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Impressive Dave!

I have started using G-Lock BLD modules with G-Lock (converted from Radian), the results on the bench are quite impressive. I am waiting my motors to arrive; then I will provide some videos with G-Lock BLD drives.

Does this mean that you upgraded / flashed a radian with the G-Lock software, and purchased 1 BLD module to run 2 axis, and a 2nd BLD module to run the 3rd axis?
Is this for brushless motors or is this setup for servo's.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Does this mean that you upgraded / flashed a radian with the G-Lock software, and purchased 1 BLD module to run 2 axis, and a 2nd BLD module to run the 3rd axis?
Is this for brushless motors or is this setup for servo's.

The G-Lock will do both depending on what module you get

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
SO we just spent a day with JC and have the AV200 brushless conversion with G-LOCK and brushless controller. Here is the footage JC took of our SJLX4 flying the GH3.. I now need to get my arse into gear and post the footage from the GH3… should be up by weekend but jet got so much other stuff to do.

The footage was taken at almost dark so the NEX7 was not focusing properly but when I mix both handheld (with carved hand held brushless unit)and the AV200 I really think you will be impressed.

SO unlike most videos showing so called brushless marvels we will post the total clip with no post and no convenient editing to take out the bad bits. We will even show the limitations when the unit goes to safe mode but then recovers.

Dave

Brilliant Guys

Just converting my CS3 with 2 BLD's etc from John. Looking good with the AV200.
Got too much work on this week to post the result quickly but as soon as I can I will!

Steve