MultiRotor Crash Pictures

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
If we're going to have a thread with MultiRotor pictures then it stands to reason that we should have MultiRotor Crash Pictures thread also.

Here's to celebrating the less-than-graceful style of executing the unplanned return to Earth maneuver.
View attachment 609View attachment 610

My Okto had an unplanned encounter with a pine tree after being blown a bit by some incoming weather. The damage was much less than I expected. This was during the last flight after about ten flights with each lasting 9 to 11 minutes shooting video for a client. Thank God I got the SD card back undamaged!!!
My X650, code name Crash Dummy, experienced the unfortunate effects of my inexperience with CopterControl.

Every time I crash, I learn.

Bart

Attachments

• P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 224
  • P1060137.jpg
    P1060137.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 291

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've had my share, some were pretty spectacular. I got at least two of them recorded from the point of view of the FPV camera on the quad not to mention getting to see it live from that point of view, not recommended if you easily get motion sickness!

Here's my little scratch built 350mm quad after I pranged it into the ground rather hard trying to do an aileron roll while flying towards myself. I did complete the roll, problem was it was far enough off to my right when it came out I had no idea of the orientation and guessed wrong on the stick movement thereby slamming it into the ground at about 3/4 throttle, oops!

IMG_0432A.jpg

Doesn't look too bad from this angle but the final damage tally was two bent arms, three broken props, two destroyed motors and another badly wounded, it never really recovered and has been replaced with a similar sized frame in carbon fiber

IMG_0434A.jpg

IMG_0431A.jpg

Here's what happens when a quad falls about 160 feet into 2 feet of snow, it did break the fall somewhat but still broke two arms and toasted an ESC, this one I also got on video.

IMG_0003a.jpg

Here's another one from the same point of view that I don't have any stills of the aftermath, this time I lost the antenna for the FPV TX (its still out in that field somewhere) destroyed the FPV TX itself, smashed the electronics cover, and amazingly only broke one Graupner prop. It landed upside down next to a rock, the ground smashing the dome, the rock taking care of the FPV TX. Not much happens until around 1:20 in the video as I had to walk back to the ground station and get ready to fly after powering up...

I've since stopped recording these events as I really don't want the reminders although I really don't crash all that much anymore and certainly not in such spectacular ways :D

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ahhh its like I am in a nightmare!... I hate seeing stuff like this.. a well guess it makes everyone double check everything before flying these bricks!

Dave

ctbon

I had a rather spectacular crash the other day. It was windy and she was drifting towards some trees and I couldn't make out her orientation so I brought her down. It was at a local high school and unfortunately she came down hard on the asphalt running track and not on the grass.

I demolished the camera mount, destroyed two servos, bent an outrigger, warped my Mondo Stinger (still works!), busted countless plastic screws and nuts, snapped two of the Hi-landers, and crushed my flying confidence. The sd card popped out of my camera and it didn't record the crash, unfortunately. I think I panicked a bit too early. I'm glad I was using my 'cheap' camera :) I would have been pretty gutted if I busted up my GH2 and/or lens.

I now see the benefit of gps hold and come home features. I immediately placed the order for GPS/Navi with Quadrocopter.us and it's on the way along with the replacement parts. I hate being grounded!

Here are some pics:

IqS5m.jpg

atHRJ.jpg

REYKQ.jpg

Uzkzh.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for decent camera mount servos? I've blown 3 of the HiTec HS-5245MG already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Everytime there is a new post in here I cringe.. Chris you plonker.. after all that effort.. I know we all want to fly like Juz and Jeoffscholl but it takes time, Recce2's flight school should be rammed in to all new flyers of MR no matterhow experienced RCpilots they are. If you follow it to the letter it can save you so much grief.. I did and it works.. I just go a lump of cast iron in the way of my near perfect pass.. I will post a few heart renching pics..
Dave