Looking for Retractable Landing Gear

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Looking for something similar to the S800 retracts but a bit more robust to handle the weight of a Cinestar Octo c/w SLR camera. I prefer this type or retract over that hanging/rotating tripod that Cinestar offers.
Anyone have any suggestions?

kloner

Aerial DP
i love the droidworx retracts..... you get that and a nice quick release for $1200,,,,, sounds like a lot, but it's a lot of cool factor and they work great.

i.php

DSC00005%20%281024x680%29_795.jpg

i.php

you get all that plus the gimbals side of the quick release.... makes 2 sky jibs fit in the back seat of my truck with about 10 seconds of effort. The legs pop off with a plastic buckle, gimbal pops off with 2 rotating clips. pretty dope setup

kloner

Aerial DP
they should come with a tube of lube..... the dw parts are all crazy nice and refined but are very expensive..... so is cs but i just didn't personally see it.... bunch of cool cuts on the cf.... but not the attention to details like those there....

we need a new player to come along and blow it all away in the heavy lifter department

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Thanks all for the input......both look great but the Droidworx takes the lead on fast assembly/disassembly.....And agreed.... more competition needed in this department. Seems that Cinestar offers their MR airframes at a really low price, then skyjacks the pilot when it comes to buying their specific gimbal/landing gear systems. If only there could be some industry standardization so that all have a common gimbal/landing gear footprint for universal mounting.

I did see where someone developed an effective landing gear quick disconnect by using some simple bicycle parts, i.e., the front wheel quickclip or was it a seat post quickclip. If I can find the Droidworx landing gear assembly manual I will be able to determine if it will be easy to modify to fit the bottom of the Cinestar.... but it doesn't look very promising from the photos.

Thanks for that info.... looks good for small to mid size cameras such as the micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix GH3 including possibly the Black Magic Pocket camera.
For the bigger cameras such as a RED, one might want something more rugged. I am tempted.

I’m in the same position...

FOXTECHFPV has a set that looks interesting and is priced right, but I have not heard of anyone actually getting them in hand.
Check it out:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fhlg25-optimus-retractable-landing-gearfor-25mm-arm-p-1177.html

JLO

<article>
Brand new never flown Photohigher Retracts landing gear for Skyjib 8 or it can be adapted to a Cinestar frame or Cinestar Gimbal it come with pre instal by the factory servo motor
I never got to use this retracts because things change in my setup
so here it is in the USA ready to ship like I said it is BRAND NEW NEVER USED
the original price from Photohigher is $950 dollars Im asking $775 dollars,
Il pay for in the USA Priority mail shipping
for international we can negotiate depending on location
if you want them I still have them
you can probably adapt them to the Cinestar frame
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

</article>

SMP

Also looking at the Retracts vs Tripod for our Euro Foxxbox X8. We have the V1 Retracts from Droidworx combined with an Allied Drones Quick Release (Similar to the Droidworx QR but without the Vibration) which work awesome. The V2 Retracts are nice but as Kloner suggested should come with a case of lube...

Modifying the smaller birds for Quick Release wasnt that hard.. We used coollcd.com rod clamps on carbon plates bolted to AV200 and Quadframes Landing Gear etc... These attach to 12mm Carbon Rods attached to the lower plate with Tarot Rod Holders. Heavier than I would have liked as the clamps are made of steel but at 30 bucks versus 300... Its a quick release just as quick as the AD/Skyjib system.

Gtranq, why do you not like the Tripod?? Seems to me thats a scenario with far less complexity and lets be candid, landing gear aint exactly rocket science?? Did it impact the flying characteristics? I'm actually leaning toward a RC Timer Tripod hackjob if I cant find a set of retracts that make financial sense.

What I WOULD like to see is an Aluminum brushless gimbal with the Backbone Spine extended into a set of v shaped forks and I'll land on the bloody gimbal!! The foxxbox guy had a prototype that looked flat awesome using this approach but people keep buying his foldables and he hasn't made it to market with his brushless.

Cuba59

@SMP
how do u mount the coollcd clamps on 12mm tarot holders (http://www.coollcd.com/quick-release-single-rod-clamp-15mm_p910.html) ?

why does Droidworks not sell the Gear Rail Assembly separate?

Also looking at the Retracts vs Tripod for our Euro Foxxbox X8. We have the V1 Retracts from Droidworx combined with an Allied Drones Quick Release (Similar to the Droidworx QR but without the Vibration) which work awesome. The V2 Retracts are nice but as Kloner suggested should come with a case of lube...

Modifying the smaller birds for Quick Release wasnt that hard.. We used coollcd.com rod clamps on carbon plates bolted to AV200 and Quadframes Landing Gear etc... These attach to 12mm Carbon Rods attached to the lower plate with Tarot Rod Holders. Heavier than I would have liked as the clamps are made of steel but at 30 bucks versus 300... Its a quick release just as quick as the AD/Skyjib system.

Gtranq, why do you not like the Tripod?? Seems to me thats a scenario with far less complexity and lets be candid, landing gear aint exactly rocket science?? Did it impact the flying characteristics? I'm actually leaning toward a RC Timer Tripod hackjob if I cant find a set of retracts that make financial sense.

What I WOULD like to see is an Aluminum brushless gimbal with the Backbone Spine extended into a set of v shaped forks and I'll land on the bloody gimbal!! The foxxbox guy had a prototype that looked flat awesome using this approach but people keep buying his foldables and he hasn't made it to market with his brushless.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
SMP.... I am having 2nd thoughts about the retractable landing gear concept although they sure look cool. Still assessing the overall relative cost, weight, availability and other factors.
Retracts must be strong enough to handle the AUW and protect the camera yet not shift the CoG up and down significantly.

Personally I like the tripod style landing gear that move with the gimbal. They're better for sticking a landing on tough terrain (uneven, sloped, or moving).

kloner

Aerial DP
do you have a brushless yaw working yet? how are the legs affecting it? does wind make a difference?

anaka

my next step will be to implement a landing gear that let me use 3axis gimbal so my question is:

what are the good and bad points for both retracting gear and fixed tripod gear on the gimbal?

I'm personally oriented on the tripod couse it let's save weight, money and it looks safer to me

i'm sure that your opinions can make me do the better choice

Vojec

Personally I like the tripod style landing gear that move with the gimbal. They're better for sticking a landing on tough terrain (uneven, sloped, or moving).

I'm with you Ben... One less thing to worry about on take-off and landing... what about if somethings goes wrong???? Stuck retract, etc...

View attachment 14898

@Kloner,

Saw your picture in previous post and wonder how stronger is your 3rd yaw mode with belt regarding direct, and where you bought belt and other 3 axis mods? Link are welcome...
In wind condition PITCH and ROLL perfect but YAW still struggling, have barely noticeable jitter, but still... I'm talking without lens OIS of course.

Attachments

• CAM00148.jpg
    CAM00148.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 325

kloner

Aerial DP
good part of tri pod is they always work..... bad part especialy in brushless gimbals is now you have additional mass and three little sails fighting an already tempermental tool. when you use it for hand work it's nice to be able to set it down. downside, it makes a really big impact on traveling, esp without quick release. to travel with a completed tripod gimbal takes a really big expensive pelican

good part of retracts aside from really cool, when your into brushless gimbals there is almost no wind affects on the gimbal, your yaw pans run alot smoother from not being an overweight gimbal, sails again. when a rig with retracts travels it takes very little room. the gimbal fits a really small cheap pelican. it also breaks down in seconds with 2 quick release buckles. your able to really drag the camera through vegetation if your into that kinda thing, keeps legs out of actors eyeballs..... bad part is it adds another electrical component that can fail. needs an external bec to be done right, requires an additional channel on the rx/tx and the possibility of not working. if your not careful around a rig with unactivated retracts and the rig is touched wrong or on the wrong ground they can retract on there own and fall on the gimbal. you gotta adapt to a program that works.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
We have considered a retractable landing gear as part of our product line, but after reviewing costs and liability concerns, have pursued a "fixed" gear that can integrate with our 2 & 3-axis G2 gimbals. As Kloner has mentioned, there is a delicate balance when using this design as it can have a negative impact of Brushless Gimbal "yaw" performance if it is not designed to allow air/ wind to pass through. We are confident that the current HexaCrafter tri-pod gear meets these requirements, but clearly time will prove out as real world "professional" clients use our new design. Additional refining of the thickness & mass of the legs may be required. Another concern as mentioned above with the product liability associated with the retractable landing gear. This is just one more mechanical system that has potential to fail...with VERY negative results. Most of our clients are professional photographers/ videographers and providing a "simple" non-mechanical solution is a better fit for the majority of our clients.

anaka

thanks Kloner and Hexacrafter, from your answers the ideal solution would be the fixed gear

as light as possible, with the best airflow possible

the fixed gear was my initial idea but i didn't considered the negative influence on the yaw axis