Just getting into gimbals please help, what's a good controller?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
What's a good and fair priced gimbal controller? What's everyone using? I don't want the super high priced model, just something that'll work and work well for a fair price. I'm just getting into gimbals so your help is appreciated, thanks!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
What camera are you intending to use? There is a bit of a difference for a GoPro gimbal v one that carries a DSLR. Do you want 3 axis or 2 axis?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
What camera are you intending to use? There is a bit of a difference for a GoPro gimbal v one that carries a DSLR. Do you want 3 axis or 2 axis?

Duh, yeah I guess you'll need to know that. I want to be able to use a GoPro2 or 3 and small-ish cameras like that. Keep in mind this is for the gimbal controller, not the gimbal. Also it needs to be light. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

If I remember you fly a gopro?.
Money is always a factor but if you want to fly with a gopro and you dont want to spend ages messing around with tuning and software the Quaternium gimbal while expensive works right out of the box. You will save yourself the equivalent of the extra cost in the time and hassle saved on the tuning and messing around process.
Its kind of like the NAZA situation where new people to multirotors can buy a NAZA and be flying really quickly without having to go through the learning curve of some other FC's.
So you could buy a cheaper controller and gimbal and then go through the learning curve and not really be flying or you could buy the QUaternium and simply be filming right away with excellent quality footage.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
If I remember you fly a gopro?.
Money is always a factor but if you want to fly with a gopro and you dont want to spend ages messing around with tuning and software the Quaternium gimbal while expensive works right out of the box. You will save yourself the equivalent of the extra cost in the time and hassle saved on the tuning and messing around process.
Its kind of like the NAZA situation where new people to multirotors can buy a NAZA and be flying really quickly without having to go through the learning curve of some other FC's.
So you could buy a cheaper controller and gimbal and then go through the learning curve and not really be flying or you could buy the QUaternium and simply be filming right away with excellent quality footage.

I'm actually looking for a rock solid gimbal CONTROLLER, I already bought a gimbal. It's small so the controller needs to be small and of course weight is always a factor although I doubt these things weight that much.

Stacky

From my experience the Alexmos controllers are a bit easier to deal with.

The absolute most important part of these brushless gimbals is that they are perfectly balanced in all axis. so not just roll and and pitch but also the central axis as well. If you dont have that right and cant balance all three axis no mater what controller you get you will have problems.
I'm actually looking for a rock solid gimbal CONTROLLER, I already bought a gimbal. It's small so the controller needs to be small and of course weight is always a factor although I doubt these things weight that much.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
From my experience the Alexmos controllers are a bit easier to deal with.

The absolute most important part of these brushless gimbals is that they are perfectly balanced in all axis. so not just roll and and pitch but also the central axis as well. If you dont have that right and cant balance all three axis no mater what controller you get you will have problems.

Alexmos controllers, got it... I'll check them out. Thanks Stacky! Any others, which are the big ones everyone loves? I wouldn't mind getting something I can use for a while and not have to worry about upgrading it.

Stacky

I am pretty sure the alexmos controller can handle bigger gimbals, I bought the YUN-1 version which was for a gopro and then I have tried using it with a bigger rctimer gimbal and it worked pretty well. Best to check what others think though.
Alexmos controllers, got it... I'll check them out. Thanks Stacky! Any others, which are the big ones everyone loves? I wouldn't mind getting something I can use for a while and not have to worry about upgrading it.

kloner

Aerial DP
doesn't matter as much at this size but i'd get the viacopter brand alexmos board..... there solid and the new one coming out now is even better

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
doesn't matter as much at this size but i'd get the viacopter brand alexmos board..... there solid and the new one coming out now is even better

Thanks Kloner, yeah I forgot to ask you...you're the man on gimbals for sure. You must have 20 of them by now lol. Ok thanks, I'll check it out and go from there. I don't want to spend TOO much right now :)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
no experience with it

Can you send me a link to what you are thinking? I see the Alexmos software everywhere...that controller from eBay did 2 axis ans 3 axis and used the Alexmos software, seems like a good deal but I don't know what I'm looking for exactly. I do like you can upgrade to 3 axis later which is in my plans...

DennyR

That one is made in China and is used by people like iflight etc.
88.88 bucks is the cheapest price I have seen for it.
I had one sent to me for testing and it worked well.

Last edited by a moderator: