Root Cause(s) of MR Fly-Aways

What is the primary cause of a fly-away?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Looking for primary cause only (not contributing causes) please select one only.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Realistically I dont think most people that have a fly away know why it happened. Especially if it is not recovered :)

The scientific reasons for why this happens are beyond most of us on here. It could very well be that not every unit is exactly the same in quality. Maybe it is solar activity or bad locations. Kloner insists that DJI products are abnormally sensitive to vibrations which is the cause of this. And I wouldnt argue with him for a second. here's a question..... why does a heli normally fly away instead of display erratic behavior? A big question missing from the poll is if it happens after activating RTH.

Heres the basic process:

1. set heli on level surface.
2. turn on radio
3. plug in lipos
4. WAIT for all proper lights
5. WAIT for gps lock
6. A quick throttle check and rotation check.
7. Take off and fly.

Where you plug in the FC, you establish "HOME" position. So the fact that a fly away seems to fly to some random point in a fly away would tell me there is a software glitch. But how hard would that be to fix? not hard, right? So cant be that. From what I have seen over the years, a fly away heli flies pretty straight in one direction. So there is clearly a path assigned to the FC somewhere. Maybe the firmware somehow allows the heli to continue on its last given path if it has an error establishing point A and B? As little faith as I have in Chinese made products I would think if DJI's 300 engineers cant figure it out that is not as easy as one of the options on the poll.

Also, with the exception of the FPV interference, I dont think any of those can be proven to be the problem after the fact. I also dont think the "black box info"(flight log) will tell any of that. RFI is detectable though. Using something like the RSSI built in detector with the EzUHF would be a good tool for that.

kloner

Aerial DP
my guess is most are vibration induced. Motors break bearing races flying unbalanced props, when they degrade it falls apart fast. A minor crash that even touches a prop on the ground just broke a race, garunteed. The ball bearings are smaller than a grain of sand and there not very round to begin with. alot less precise than anything else with bearings i've ever been around...... They suck, but in fpv i've ridden them out several times........ giving it reverse input to what it's doing and moving th throttle keeps it out of the dirt till it settles down.... usually a minute on the ones i've been a part of....

all i've ever done after a situation like that is swap motors and rebalance props, then it was back in the money till i'd have a minor touch then it'd degrade again