Best batteries for DJI 450 query

khellio

Being a rank newby to the hobby, I just bought and assembled a 450 but need some advice on which batteries to buy as spares.
I know that 3S-4S min of 2200 mAh are recommended but being ignorant of such things, it doesn't mean much to me.
Would somebody be kind enough to offer an explanation and recommendations or point me to a thread or page which explains it all?

Cheers
Sean

Being a rank newby to the hobby, I just bought and assembled a 450 but need some advice on which batteries to buy as spares.
I know that 3S-4S min of 2200 mAh are recommended but being ignorant of such things, it doesn't mean much to me.
Would somebody be kind enough to offer an explanation and recommendations or point me to a thread or page which explains it all?

Cheers
Sean

Simple put.
I use 3300 and 4000 3 cell batteries to fly mine which has slightly larger motors then stock.
The batteries are 30-70C rated.That means:
3300/4000 mAh at 11.1 volts. The "C" rating is how much amperage they can safely produce.
30 sustained with 70 burst.
The higher the mAh rating the longer you can fly.
(There is a weight to flight thing that happens when the battery gets too big.)
The C rating gives you more flight time at full voltage.
Not the most technically correct answer but that's it in a nutshell.

You can use the 'C' rating to determine how much amperage the battery can produce by multiplying the capacity times the 'C' rating. For example:
30C * 3300mAh = 99,000 mA (or, 99 amps). You can then look at the specs for your motors and determine if that will be enough amperage. If your motors take up to 20A each, the above-listed battery would work fine for a quad...but not for a hex (which would require a battery that supplies 6 x 20A = 120A)

Edited to add:
Currently, I'm running 3S-4200mAh 30C batteries on my F450.

Last edited by a moderator:

khellio

Thank you FlyGirl, it's just what I needed.:strawberry:
Do you know that downunder where I come from, we don't have monkeys or wrenches. We have shifting spanners and wenches.:frog:.....oh and frogs.