New Sony A7.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
http://www.adorama.com/ISOA7R.html

Looks like some good specs for aerials. much much lighter than a dslr. uncompressed hdmi out, the expected 1080/60p which is more or less standard now except for canon/nikon. If they could only do like the GH3 and have a non avchd format. It only gets better, cheaper and smaller.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It's not how it runs at all, though it is nicer on a mac flipping through quicktime .MOV's. the issue is that it is much more compressed. You wont be able to see it much and especially since most of what we do ends up on the internet anyways. BUT, where it really helps out is when you do any kind of post process that's based off of interpolation. Motion tracking, Twixtor, WARP, mercalli, screening, etc. What may look like a solid color at face value is made up of all kinds of garbage underneath, so when the software looks for a certain color or value to lock onto it confuses it more. Messy shots that have distracted back grounds are that much more difficult to "fix." I did a few promos(no aerials) for a product shot all in the studio on a black BG. I used my 7d and the results were decent but all the things I had to do in post were next to impossible. it was all my fault for not planning it out better. But working with solid colors can be really hard as it is not a clean value anywhere. So when you see the higher bit rates on certain codecs, it does help for this stuff. If you are just using your footage right out the camera and maybe slapping some stabilizer on there it will most likely be fine. But i refuse to buy another h.264 camera. The BMPC definitely is the one I have my eye on. The extra res is nice too. As you may think "who needs 4k unless you are showing on the silver screen?" Well, again, for that studio shot if I had a higher res I could use markers on the black bg I had and done some better camera tracks and still cropped to 1080, no one would ever know. Blah blah blah......

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
every time i think something is simple i learn i'm wrong. :(

thanks for the explanation

Kilby

Full frame. That's pretty sweet. The price will drop on that soon, I'm sure.

BTW Yuri, I'm on a plane headed your way right now. I'll drop you a line this week and see if we can link up.

-Terry

Black Magic Pocket Camera seems like the right choice at 1/2 the price but if I read it correctly, it is 30 fps at 1080HD which is good enough I guess.

It's not how it runs at all, though it is nicer on a mac flipping through quicktime .MOV's. the issue is that it is much more compressed. You wont be able to see it much and especially since most of what we do ends up on the internet anyways. BUT, where it really helps out is when you do any kind of post process that's based off of interpolation. Motion tracking, Twixtor, WARP, mercalli, screening, etc. What may look like a solid color at face value is made up of all kinds of garbage underneath, so when the software looks for a certain color or value to lock onto it confuses it more. Messy shots that have distracted back grounds are that much more difficult to "fix." I did a few promos(no aerials) for a product shot all in the studio on a black BG. I used my 7d and the results were decent but all the things I had to do in post were next to impossible. it was all my fault for not planning it out better. But working with solid colors can be really hard as it is not a clean value anywhere. So when you see the higher bit rates on certain codecs, it does help for this stuff. If you are just using your footage right out the camera and maybe slapping some stabilizer on there it will most likely be fine. But i refuse to buy another h.264 camera. The BMPC definitely is the one I have my eye on. The extra res is nice too. As you may think "who needs 4k unless you are showing on the silver screen?" Well, again, for that studio shot if I had a higher res I could use markers on the black bg I had and done some better camera tracks and still cropped to 1080, no one would ever know. Blah blah blah......

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Id be ok with 30fps on the BMPC as it is global shutter. So again, any of this interpolation based software will work like a charm if there is no motion blur or compression to deal with.

Terry, I hope that plane isnt using a DJI GPS! Kidding. Gimme a buzz when you're around. I'll make time to visit with you. Thanks for the heads up.

Quinton

The bmpc is not a camera for the faint hearted, there is just far too much work and too many drawbacks that comes along with it.
Nothing wrong with using any camera that uses compression that has clean HDMI out, like the 5D or C100 even the A7 now and recording onto the Atomos Ninja, which will record for you 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes.
The Ninja is probably "the" best piece of kit anyone could buy, and could even be strapped to a multirotor to capture video if required.

Anyone interested in finding out more about the Ninja can watch this video..
http://vimeo.com/65471795

Last edited by a moderator:

photobobga

I'm so confused... the new GoPro 3+ will shot a 2.7k file at 30fps.... isn't that good enough? *smile* Seriously, aren't most of the top fly-boys shooting at 24fps anyway? Unless you are doing Hollywood assignments the raw footage from the GH3 or NEX 5.6,7 should be very acceptable.... right?

-Bob

kloner

Aerial DP
we shoot all 24fps, when we use slo mo we reduce the capture 40% or somehting, keeps the 24 quality and 60 fps slo mo look. GH3 is baddo

is this new sony sealed or wide open for all the dust to live on the sensor like the nex line?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was asked why the compression was an issue. If I were flying a camera I would keep it as cheap and lightweight as possible unless there was a well paying job that had requirements of a higher bitrate. There are certain clients that have these ridiculous minimum bitrate requirements. But even they tend to be lenient on the aerials since it's just a few seconds here and there. So yes, flying a 4k camera is pointless unless you are in hollywood. I know h.264 to be a nightmare doing certain post processing so it all really depends on what your use is. And it doesnt mean that I would need 4k raw 14 bit 4:2:2 with 13 stops of DR and global shutter to accomplish this. Thats kinda overkill for most of us average folk.

kloner

Aerial DP
in hollywood even the gh3 is a tough sale...... they want red footage to mix with there arris footage, etc...... heros are on alot of "shows" but not so much feature film or even advertising work......

Quinton

we shoot all 24fps, when we use slo mo we reduce the capture 40% or somehting, keeps the 24 quality and 60 fps slo mo look. GH3 is baddo

is this new sony sealed or wide open for all the dust to live on the sensor like the nex line?

I hate talking about camera stuff in forums, as it usually turns into my lens is bigger than yours, but its not a good idea to reduce the speed in the software as your changing from progressive to interpolation, and you might see a difference in them.
Its always best to shoot at higher frame rate and spread it out keeping everything progressive.
The GH3 is a really nice camera, maybe one of the best light weight cameras for flying, but then DJI go and ruin it by limiting the Zenmuse to a single lens.
All they think about is having a camera and the lightest lens they can find, and not consider weatherproofing, filters or anything else that you need to shoot video with a camera.
Personally I never did like the look that came out of the NEX line, it may be very light but I don't think it produces nice looking images compared to the likes of the GH3

Quinton

in hollywood even the gh3 is a tough sale...... they want red footage to mix with there arris footage, etc...... heros are on alot of "shows" but not so much feature film or even advertising work......

Its camera snobbery, if they didn't know what it was shot with then they could never tell the difference.
If a big producer started using it a lot more then everyone would go..oh look, it must be good enough, we dont need to spend 30k on a camera for this stuff.
Same way that Vincent Laforet made happen with the DSLR

As for global shutter as mentioned above, I don't think you would have 13 stops of DR would you, as when using a global shutter you give up the amount hitting the sensor and Dynamic Range is usually traded.