Need advice on first Transmitter purchase

AUsome

So much info out there, I'm thinking I'll hold off for just a bit on a first major purchase, whether a RTF or a ARF or complete build. So, I'm thinking I'll not scrimp on a transmitter, but buy a cheap quad to get used to flying and just learn a bit more about all of the various components. The transmitter I'm thinking of buying is the Spektrum DX8. What I don't want to do, is buy something that I'll quickly either outgrow of find it doesn't really meet my needs. Is this a good transmitter that should serve me well regardless of how much I advance into the hobby? Eventually, I'll want autopilot, GPS, FPV/OSD and camera control with at least 2 axis gimbal. Will this transmitter still be able to handle all this for down the road?

The other transmitter I'd be thinking of would be a Futaba 8J...should I select one over the other? And why?

FlyGirl

So much info out there, I'm thinking I'll hold off for just a bit on a first major purchase, whether a RTF or a ARF or complete build. So, I'm thinking I'll not scrimp on a transmitter, but buy a cheap quad to get used to flying and just learn a bit more about all of the various components. The transmitter I'm thinking of buying is the Spektrum DX8. What I don't want to do, is buy something that I'll quickly either outgrow of find it doesn't really meet my needs. Is this a good transmitter that should serve me well regardless of how much I advance into the hobby? Eventually, I'll want autopilot, GPS, FPV/OSD and camera control with at least 2 axis gimbal. Will this transmitter still be able to handle all this for down the road?

The other transmitter I'd be thinking of would be a Futaba 8J...should I select one over the other? And why?

I use Spektrum since I can then buy anything from Blade, ParkZone, etc that is bind n' fly. That being said, both Futaba and Spektrum are terrific radios and in my opinion are on a par with each other. You can't go wrong with either one. Now, here is the rule I was told when I started..... Buy the most channels you can afford.... I didn't at the time and got a Spektrum DX7s. It is a fine radio and does everything I've asked of it on a quad that has all the stuff you listed that you want yours to eventually have but I had to do it by mixing channels which was kind of a bother. Have fun with that Nano when you get it! :)

VIQuad

Futaba 8FG Super

The side sliders are WAY easy to control the gimbal tilt without having to take your hands off the sticks to turn a knob on controller.

AUsome

Thanks both of you...I ended up going Spektrum DX8 since it was bindable with the copter I got (Nano QX). The hobby shop didn't have any copters that would work out of the box with a Futaba. And yes FlyGirl, I did enjoy the Nano until I put it in the tallest tree on my property...managed to get it out without too much trouble...roof was next, but that was much easier. I will get it eventually. Putting it into stable mode sure helped. This makes me realize it will take a lot of practice to become proficient. Just curious...how long does it usually take to get reasonably good at piloting an MC?

Cheers.

FlyGirl

Thanks both of you...I ended up going Spektrum DX8 since it was bindable with the copter I got (Nano QX). The hobby shop didn't have any copters that would work out of the box with a Futaba. And yes FlyGirl, I did enjoy the Nano until I put it in the tallest tree on my property...managed to get it out without too much trouble...roof was next, but that was much easier. I will get it eventually. Putting it into stable mode sure helped. This makes me realize it will take a lot of practice to become proficient. Just curious...how long does it usually take to get reasonably good at piloting an MC?

Cheers.

LOL!! I'm glad that you don't live near any Redwood trees... ;)

Doesn't take too long if you've had some RC experience. It will take a bit longer if this is the first dip into the water. Maybe a month or two? Maybe more, maybe less. Just don't rush it. Some people pick it up really fast, others a bit slower. Here's the trick to it.... Start out by hovering as long as you can with the nose pointed away from you. When you get good at that, hover it with one of the sides facing you. Then finally, hover it with the nose pointed at you. This will help you get automatic at making the proper corrections in all attitudes. When you get good at nose in hovering then go fly figure 8's. If you get good at those things so that your stick movements are automatic you can just about fly anything.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dma251

I struggled for the longest time getting comfortable with hovering in different orientations until I finally start actually MOVING. Once I started actually flying as opposed to just hovering, My mind made the switch to flying from the pilots perspective, and everything got MUCH easier.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I use Spektrum since I can then buy anything from Blade, ParkZone, etc that is bind n' fly. That being said, both Futaba and Spektrum are terrific radios and in my opinion are on a par with each other. You can't go wrong with either one. Now, here is the rule I was told when I started..... Buy the most channels you can afford.... I didn't at the time and got a Spektrum DX7s. It is a fine radio and does everything I've asked of it on a quad that has all the stuff you listed that you want yours to eventually have but I had to do it by mixing channels which was kind of a bother. Have fun with that Nano when you get it! :)

Have to agree with this 110%, don't get a DX8, grab the new DX9 or really for not a lot more grab a DX18, lovely radio.

Pete