Need help! Naza v2 motor/esc issues

jwk72

I've been checking and re checking connections and pouring over various posts all after noon. I'm stumped. I'm trying to finish up my F450 w/ NAZA v2 (w/GPS), Eflite Park 480 (910kv) motors and Eflite 40 amp Pro esc's. Using a Dx8 and a AR8000. For the life of me I cannot get the motors to arm or work in "motor test" in Naza assistant. It will not detect the esc's. I've tried several different setups posted by members and have tried using my own tx program as well as Freechip's .spm files (from RC groups, they seem to have worked well for others). Nothing works. Everything powers up fine, just don't get that final arming tone from esc's. I've calibrated a few times, my sliders are green and control mode switch shows blue in all 3 positions. Running latest firmware and software and battery voltage is good. Any input would probably keep me from drinking too much tonight! :very_drunk:

Right now I have things as follows:

T >>>> T
R >>>> R
A >>>> A
E >>>> E
U >>>> AUX1
X1 >>>> AUX3
X2 >>>> AUX2
X3 >>>> PMU

soler

The tone should be there when you connect the power so should not be due to the transmitter connection. Providing you have battery power and a signal from the FC they should make the correct tones. Check they are plugged into the FC the correct way round, do you get a correct gone if you plug the ESC's directly into the reciver?

You may also need to calibrate the ESC's, most do this by plugging the esc in to the throttle channel. With the transmitter on and throttle all the way up provide power to the reciver and ESC you shoul here a tone, then drop to zero throttle and there should be another tone then power off. Do this go rescheduled ESC.

I've been checking and re checking connections and pouring over various posts all after noon. I'm stumped. I'm trying to finish up my F450 w/ NAZA v2 (w/GPS), Eflite Park 480 (910kv) motors and Eflite 40 amp Pro esc's. Using a Dx8 and a AR8000. For the life of me I cannot get the motors to arm or work in "motor test" in Naza assistant. It will not detect the esc's. I've tried several different setups posted by members and have tried using my own tx program as well as Freechip's .spm files (from RC groups, they seem to have worked well for others). Nothing works. Everything powers up fine, just don't get that final arming tone from esc's. I've calibrated a few times, my sliders are green and control mode switch shows blue in all 3 positions. Running latest firmware and software and battery voltage is good. Any input would probably keep me from drinking too much tonight! :very_drunk:

Right now I have things as follows:

T >>>> T
R >>>> R
A >>>> A
E >>>> E
U >>>> AUX1
X1 >>>> AUX3
X2 >>>> AUX2
X3 >>>> PMU

jwk72

These esc's don't have a calibration procedure. All work just fine being plugged directly into AR8000. I get all arming tones and they spin up just fine. As soon as I reconnect through the Naza... won't arm or test out in assistant software.

RkyMtnFlyer

I'm having the same problem!

These esc's don't have a calibration procedure. All work just fine being plugged directly into AR8000. I get all arming tones and they spin up just fine. As soon as I reconnect through the Naza... won't arm or test out in assistant software.

I installed the Naza V2 and the motor test worked fine - except for my motor #3. So I calibrated the ESC by plugging each ESC into my Throttle on the a Spectrum AR8000 and doing simple calibration procedures (start at max throttle (get beeps) then lower to zero throttle (hear beeps). After doing this to all ESCs my motors don't power up until pushed to 50%. When I plug in Naza I get NO motor test functionality..?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks!!!

jwk72

I installed the Naza V2 and the motor test worked fine - except for my motor #3. So I calibrated the ESC by plugging each ESC into my Throttle on the a Spectrum AR8000 and doing simple calibration procedures (start at max throttle (get beeps) then lower to zero throttle (hear beeps). After doing this to all ESCs my motors don't power up until pushed to 50%. When I plug in Naza I get NO motor test functionality..?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks!!!

From what I hear the 50% is by design. They should power up but won't lift off until about 50%. The esc's I was using at the time I posted this were the Eflite "Pro" series which not only do not have a calibration procedure, they are not compatible in any way with Naza. As far as your no motor test... If your esc's are arming the test should work.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Also recheck that all your controls move the correct direction in Naza Assistant.\, check trims are centred and that you have no subtrim set.

Pete

jwk72

Not sure if Pete and Swede are replying to me or RkyMtnFlyer... As for me, I have no way to calibrate the esc's I've tried, that was part of the problem. Being a MR noob I thought I was choosing good esc's and didn't know what to look for. My current issue with the Castle Thunderbird esc's is stability. Apparently because of the lack of being able to calibrate causes issues and can't get this thing to fly for more than 10 seconds without wobbling itself to the ground. At first I thought it was gains but apparently not. And yes, all controls are fine and tx is calibrated in Naza Assistant.

i need to get new esc's on here ASAP because I've got someone wanting to see it complete and flying and the only thing I can get quickly is Castle Talon 35's... Anyone know if these will work? I've asked in a few threads but have had no answers.

unless of course that is that someone has knowledge as to how to make mine work.

Not sure if Pete and Swede are replying to me or RkyMtnFlyer... As for me, I have no way to calibrate the esc's I've tried, that was part of the problem. Being a MR noob I thought I was choosing good esc's and didn't know what to look for. My current issue with the Castle Thunderbird esc's is stability. Apparently because of the lack of being able to calibrate causes issues and can't get this thing to fly for more than 10 seconds without wobbling itself to the ground. At first I thought it was gains but apparently not. And yes, all controls are fine and tx is calibrated in Naza Assistant.

i need to get new esc's on here ASAP because I've got someone wanting to see it complete and flying and the only thing I can get quickly is Castle Talon 35's... Anyone know if these will work? I've asked in a few threads but have had no answers.

unless of course that is that someone has knowledge as to how to make mine work.

I had that problem with my DX8 that it didnt arm, and it needed an RC-calibration since the throttle wasnt calibrated low enough. But I see now that your "motortest" doesnt turn them ether.

Do your ESC have BEC? (supply power to the NAZA?) If so you need to remove the red lines since the Naza doesnt like/need it. Had that "problem" with non-DJI-Esc also.

jwk72

I had that problem with my DX8 that it didnt arm, and it needed an RC-calibration since the throttle wasnt calibrated low enough. But I see now that your "motortest" doesnt turn them ether.

Do your ESC have BEC? (supply power to the NAZA?) If so you need to remove the red lines since the Naza doesnt like/need it. Had that "problem" with non-DJI-Esc also.

When I started this thread and the motor test didn't work I was using different esc's.... the ones I'm using now work, just not good enough apparently. And, yes the red wire has been disco'd from the beginning. DX8 isn't one of my probs as it is calibrated and working fine.

RkyMtnFlyer

From what I hear the 50% is by design. They should power up but won't lift off until about 50%. The esc's I was using at the time I posted this were the Eflite "Pro" series which not only do not have a calibration procedure, they are not compatible in any way with Naza. As far as your no motor test... If your esc's are arming the test should work.

Thanks jwk72! Do you or anyone out there know if there's a SimonK spec sheet or description to describe how these ESCs work? They function very differently than regular ESCs. I have a similar set up with non-SimonK's and the throttle stick response to the motors is very smooth from 0 to 100%. fyi - Problem copter = SimonK ESC RCTIMER 30A brand (BEC wire cut). Smooth Throttle copter = FlyColor Opto 30A ESCs. Both using RCTIMER HP2212-1000KV motors.

Anyone have experience with this calibration technique?? "Set the Throttle Travel to -125 to +125 on Spectrum DX8 - then plug in ESC into RX (throttle channel) - power on Spectrum and move throttle to 100% - power on RX and wait for beep - move throttle to 0% and wait for long beep - power off RX - calibration complete. Finally reset Spectrum travel to 100% for both 0% & 100%."

garyl

Motor tester on a2 with t-motor esc

Hi,

I am having the same trouble with a DJI A2 system which I previously tested with DJI ECS's with success. I now have T-Motor 4014 's and 40A T-motor ESC's and it seems to work fine without the assistant and as soon as I plug into the assistant the motor test doesn't work. It worries me a little ! so I asked DJI who didn't really answer the question. They said :
Hello,
Sorry I can’t help you that much with 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party ESC’s.
Please make sure you are using the ESCs and motors recommended by the manufacturer of your multi rotor first. A2 output is 400Hz refresh frequency.
If you use 3rd party ESCs, please make sure the ESCs travel midpoint is at 1520us. DO NOT use 700us travel midpoint ESC, as it may lead aircraft to fly away or cause injury and damage. After connect ESCs to motors, calibrate all your ESCs one by one through the receiver directly before connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into Governor off, Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience.

Now I am even more worried ! I don't know much about the midpoint business but from what I see and read most ESC are now at 1520us. I haven't done any
calibrations of any kind. I did take the red wire out the plug as the ESC's are BEC .Can anyone help?

Thank you
Best regards
Gary