Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The NAZA V1 had the power management and LED in the same module, it was called the VU, power went into it first and then to the NAZA and the receiver. The NAZA V2 has the PMU separate from the LED.

So in the first version the parts are the NAZA-M V1, VU, and GPS puck

In the latest version the parts are the NAZA-M V2, PMU, remote LED, GPS puck

Hope that helps.
Bart

Sure does, thank you. So the part labeled PMU V2 gets soldered into the + - pads (the same as the battery connection) so there's actually two set's of leads soldered in here (battery connection & PMU V2)

Can you give a confirm on that? Pretty sure that's it though...

Thanks Bart!

The NAZA V1 had the power management and LED in the same module, it was called the VU, power went into it first and then to the NAZA and the receiver. The NAZA V2 has the PMU separate from the LED.

So in the first version the parts are the NAZA-M V1, VU, and GPS puck

In the latest version the parts are the NAZA-M V2, PMU, remote LED, GPS puck

Hope that helps.
Bart

Bartman

Sure does, thank you. So the part labeled PMU V2 gets soldered into the + - pads (the same as the battery connection) so there's actually two set's of leads soldered in here (battery connection & PMU V2)

Can you give a confirm on that? Pretty sure that's it though...

Thanks Bart!

yes, that ought to work. :)

So, about to "Stick the Naza 2" to my 450 and had what I think is a great idea and want to bounce it off everyone.

What if we used, the heavy duty hook and loop velcro (not really velcro) but... this kinda stuff: LINK

this way, you can easily take off your flight controllers and receivers without having the sticky residue on them. Stuff sticks like hell and really locks down good.

Any negatives on using this stuff for some of the components? Seems like a great option for securing them without it being too tough to move them around.

I plan on doing a 550 right after this and want to re-use all my components.

Thoughts?

jbrumberg

I use even heavier duty stuff for a cheap Rx. That is probably serious overkill for a Rx box. For a FCB or a component which needs fixed attachment to the chassis I would go with glue or machine screws and nuts for attachment.

coreyperez

With my limited knowledge I'd recommend not. I believe it needs to be without vibration. Anything that is hook/loop'd is not actually "fixed". It can still wiggle/wobble and that can result in confusion with the FC. My understanding the Naza's are VERY PRONE to vibration issues. Vibration issues leading to fly-away's. This isn't scientific, just from what I've learned on the forums.

I used double sided foam tape for mine.

Corey

(edit).. Eh...You know tho. I've seemed to be doing EVERYTHING wrong... Probably shouldn't listen to me....

Corey

coreyperez

Well here I am. Flight 2 and 3 under the belt..

I had a friend come down to my post today and he was checking out my build progress. He has recently started ordering parts for his own build so his curiosity was obviously maxed. I took him down the hall to show how my KK2.1 “Honey Badger” was coming along. We were playing around with the settings and trying to work it out. Let me say, full manual control is a LOT OF WORK! I’m sure with time it will come together.

Well, after playing with that for almost a battery pack I had a “sudden stoppage” and one of the rotors got broke (wall impact = wall win). So, I figured…. I’m on a roll! Lets get the 550 out!

Down stairs to our parade field we go. We are getting it all set up and everything is going great. I finally get a solid GPS lock and I’m feeling GOOD!

Buzzing it around I was getting a confident feeling about myself. Doing coordinated turns, fly-bye’s, etc. I noticed the LED wasn’t giving me any negative indications so I had it across the field from us and I let it hover. Looked at my friend and said “should I try the Failsafe”?

You can see where THIS is going…

I flipped it to manual (making sure everything was working, switch wise), it was all over the place, flipped it back to GPS and it was like a rock! I said “here goes nothing!” Flipped on the failsafe and the LED changed indicating “Fail Safe”. After a brief moment it raised up to the proper altitude and did a 180deg turn (nose in) and started to come home. THIS is where it all fell apart. I'm 100% sure I had it tail-in for "emergency orientation/recovery" It hovered right over us, as if to say “Hi down there!”

Well the next thing blew my mind….

It started a slow descent, bounced off the ground and took flight again! After a brief moment hovering it landed again. After a time or two it shutdown. FAILSAFE CHECK COMPLETE! (haha, fooled you).

So, we burned through 2 batteries and called it a day. I was pretty stoked everything has worked as it was supposed to. My friend is now fully sold on a Naza. I gave him the controls and let him fly it. He was totally impressed.

So, My 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] flight today, his first. Everything is going pretty well here in Korea!

Thanks all!

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman, Is it ok to adhere the naza FC with the 3M sticky tape they provide and place directly on the bottom board? I know on yours you have a bit of foam in between the two. What are your thoughts on just sticking direct without the foam?

I'm all soldered up, arms on and ready for this step, just don't want to stick anything til I'm confident!

In the meantime, messing around with a ladybird outside and a cb100 inside (micro heli) both making your concentrate to keep them from smashing into EVERYTHING :) -- but I have them hovering around pretty good:)

Bartman

Corey...that first flip of the FailSafe switch is a hoot, right!?

G-M-M, i like velcro and have used it under flight controls like the NAZA but I also put a wrap of something over it to keep it from popping loose or vibrating in place. velcro makes a nice soft vibration break between hard surfaces. the plastic mushroom stuff that i think you're talking about is probably too stiff for a FC like the NAZA. Double sided foam tape is ok too but a velcro strap around it is worthwhile,especially on a critical component (most critical?) like the flight control module.

I'm liking the NAZA more and more. I've got the V1 flying on the group-build F450 and a V2 for a flight review on a quadcopter. The V2 flies a little nicer but if you can get a V1 system in the classifieds for cheap it's worth it! That little F450 is going to finally get me flying FPV like the space cadet that I am. :)

good job guys, and I see all y'all out there helping a lot of other people so I appreciate you guys passing along what you've been learning here.

Thanks Bartman. Meant to ask you why you like the wood props. Just curious... They look so beautiful compared to the plastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

for an F450, a single 4S battery of about 3500 to 5000mah and about 30C should be fine.

i like the wood props for a number of reasons, they're more stiff than some of the plastic props but not as stiff as carbon fiber, wood is a natural vibration dampening material, and the tips shatter when I crash land making it less likely that the motors will be messed up.

bart

coreyperez

I'm using the Turnigy Nano-Tec 3s 5000 mAh 45-90c (linked below-US Warehouse) batteries from hobby king. As far as charger, I got an Onyx 150 as a "fool proof" introduction to Lipo, and JUST received (yesterday) my iCharger 4010. While a HUGE price difference, it will be my "Last Charger I'll ever need" (hopefully).

Currenty with my 550 Hex, stock motors and 8" Stock DJI props, no gimbal, cameras etc. I've been flying it about 7minutes. Around that time I need a break anyway, but there is still PLENTY of power left in the packs! (about 2-3 min remaining??)

Corey

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...00mah_3S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

What batteries is everyone using? I still have yet to buy a simple charger and battery!
Pulse 4s 4100 mAh, 35C and a GensAce 5500 mAh. The GensAce is said to be heavier than others for the same capacity. It is a lot longer and square whereas the Pulse is flatter which makes it sit better under or on your quad. Both perform well.

Charger is a Hitec dual port 400 watt together with a 50amp DC power supply (QJE, Chinese, see http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10531).
I had a Hyperion that died in less than a month.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

HK USA warehouse seems to have a good inventory of LiPo batteries available. I have not checked all the different brands. Right now I am using 3S 25/35C 4000mAh Zippy Compact batteries for my build.

TBaldus

At this point I put the arm, ESC and motors together. I just got my radio and receiver today so the next step is to figure out how and where to mount the NAZA and all the other parts like receiver, led, etc. And I am still waiting on batteries and charger that I ordered from HK.
I also need to do some research on how to program and connect the radio, receiver and flight controller. This is probably the part I am most worried about messing up since I have absolutely no prior experience with anything RC.

I'm done the physical build, have to face the taranis and naza setup next. I'm also scared sh1tless to fly this thing. Anyone else scared?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

At this point I put the arm, ESC and motors together. I just got my radio and receiver today so the next step is to figure out how and where to mount the NAZA and all the other parts like receiver, led, etc. And I am still waiting on batteries and charger that I ordered from HK.
I also need to do some research on how to program and connect the radio, receiver and flight controller. This is probably the part I am most worried about messing up since I have absolutely no prior experience with anything RC.

i've been trying to get a program to record video from my screen so i can do a setup video and i think the one i installed last night will finally work.....i'll try to do the video today showing the parts and basic set up in the NAZA Assistant.

Bart