F550 struggling with 1.7kg takeoff weight

thurcombe

I figured I'd chuck all the gear on he F550 and see how it performed. I've not physically weighed it but going on all the weight specs for the kit I have purchased it should be sitting around 1.7kg in total.

I fired it up in my lounge and I was less than impressed, hard to get to ceiling height but pretty quick to find the floor :s

Does this mean I need to go to 4s to cope with the weight? (I hope not as I just bought a set of 10" CF props) I assume more current from 3s wont help?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
If your hauling weight, 4s with a nice "c" rating will help, but if you're using the DJI motors, you will run them hot and they will fail after a bit. Lower the KV on the motors and with a 4S and 10" should help you out.

thurcombe

If your hauling weight, 4s with a nice "c" rating will help, but if you're using the DJI motors, you will run them hot and they will fail after a bit. Lower the KV on the motors and with a 4S and 10" should help you out.

Really, I thought those motors were designed for 4s too and I thought 4s = 8" props no?

What is generally considered the best battery and motors for this kind of setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

Treg

Captain Fudpucker
My F550 weighs 2300g and running 4s 4400mah with 9x5 CF props and it flies like an eagle. All the power needed with stock motors.

View attachment 13892

Attachments

• FPV setup.jpg
    FPV setup.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 305

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I ran my 550 with stock motors and stock props 10" on 3s batteries, 2500 mAh in parallel, with skids and a GoPro... it was heavy, sluggish and flew like crap for 8 minutes or less. 4S would work better and I never said they would not work on stock motors, I was merely saying, if you're too heavy and it shows, move to lower KV motors and a larger battery.

thurcombe

My F550 weighs 2300g and running 4s 4400mah with 9x5 CF props and it flies like an eagle. All the power needed with stock motors.

View attachment 17535

Hmm, maybe I am heavier than I think then since i'm running quadframe 215mm landing gear, rctimer nex gimbal, and 270g worth of camera which looks like it ought to be heavier than what I see in your pic.

DJI state 478g IIRC for the 550 frame weight does anyone know if that includes the motors?

Deanot, before loading I was advised 3s 3000mah were the batteries to use, I doubt I got 8 minutes unloaded but was only running 1 of them. Im happy to buy
into 4s if needs be, what are safe motor temps?

I'm confused now as i've read in various places that 4s means you run smaller props, now it seems that's not the case which is nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, maybe I am heavier than I think then since i'm running quadframe 215mm landing gear, rctimer nex gimbal, and 270g worth of camera which looks like it ought to be heavier than what I see in your pic.

DJI state 478g IIRC for the 550 frame weight does anyone know if that includes the motors?

Deanot, before loading I was advised 3s 3000mah were the batteries to use, I doubt I got 8 minutes unloaded but was only running 1 of them. Im happy to buy
into 4s if needs be, what are safe motor temps?

I'm confused now as i've read in various places that 4s means you run smaller props, now it seems that's not the case which is nice :)

Just a note for comparison,
My 550 with 2212 950 motors and 10:45 GemFan props with an all up weight of 2150 with Go Pro, gimble and a 5000 3S battery and it's got good power and lift. I get just at 10 min with the 5000 3S after I turned off the battery monitor and I monitor the battery voltage thru the telemetry. I fly the 5000 down to about 10 volts.