S800 EVO, S800, and DJI, Thoughts on Performance and Support

Crasher

I can't believe DJI is still in business with the customer service they have, or I mean lack of... sorry, non existent.
I've lost thousands of dollars from my s800 doing the flip of death and DJI basically said to go F**K myself, even though I have video showing it...

HT I watched your video and read your comments about it crashing due to a bug in the Naza software. What I haven't heard or seen though is how you determined that a software bug was the cause of your S800's crash. What thought process did you go through to come up with that conclusion?

ChrisViperM

Hey guys...calm down. This is a gentlemens forum :tennis:

As for DJI, evenwith all the hurray in this thread, they won't sell me any more of their junk.....enough alternatives out there....maybe A2 v2 or v3 I'll look at it again.

PS: This got nothing to do with "hating" DJI....it's just a practical thing

Chris

Wulf2000

Thanks Patrick. I appreciate your post. Gives me a little more confidence. I did have an issue at some point flying a s800. Studying the iosd data, I noticed the GPS/Compass data was erratic. I've never been able to replicate, but surely lost faith, mostly because of all the bad reviews on the forums. But your post got me thinking. I can't imagine all these problems are made up, so I do wonder what's your take on that? Especially because you mention two of your customers having the FOD. Do you have insights on other problems, maybe even from other dealers? It would be nice to know the approximate failure rate of this platform compared to other comparable platforms, or in a percentage relative to units sold. I think you gave an indication and it suggests a 2% rate, but can you confirm? Are there any consideration regarding all these negative claims?

Furthermore is the s800 more likely to receive bad reviews, because of inexperienced users upgrading from the popular phantom, expecting a similar platform?

I live in Holland and it's more common for a dealer to supply customer support. Does DJI support their dealers in a fair and sustainable manner? Or does the dealer solely rely on it's own experience and customers? It seems to me a first line dealer is able to solve the problems by replacing, but does DJI acknowledge problems and do they present dealers with viable roadmaps to solutions?

I do wonder about these issues, because it won't be long before clients start to remember the "DJI s800" as a troubled machine and although this may not be true, they will start demanding for other platforms, because you never really know where you're liable, right?

Thanks!

Thanks Patrick. I appreciate your post. Gives me a little more confidence. I did have an issue at some point flying a s800. Studying the iosd data, I noticed the GPS/Compass data was erratic. I've never been able to replicate, but surely lost faith, mostly because of all the bad reviews on the forums. But your post got me thinking. I can't imagine all these problems are made up, so I do wonder what's your take on that? Especially because you mention two of your customers having the FOD. Do you have insights on other problems, maybe even from other dealers? It would be nice to know the approximate failure rate of this platform compared to other comparable platforms, or in a percentage relative to units sold. I think you gave an indication and it suggests a 2% rate, but can you confirm? Are there any consideration regarding all these negative claims?

Furthermore is the s800 more likely to receive bad reviews, because of inexperienced users upgrading from the popular phantom, expecting a similar platform?

I live in Holland and it's more common for a dealer to supply customer support. Does DJI support their dealers in a fair and sustainable manner? Or does the dealer solely rely on it's own experience and customers? It seems to me a first line dealer is able to solve the problems by replacing, but does DJI acknowledge problems and do they present dealers with viable roadmaps to solutions?

I do wonder about these issues, because it won't be long before clients start to remember the "DJI s800" as a troubled machine and although this may not be true, they will start demanding for other platforms, because you never really know where you're liable, right?

Thanks!

Erratic GPS data... FOD can't be far behind.

Wulf2000

Well actually there was no FOD, but S800 started to have a mind of it's own and flew in all kinds of directions, heading for disaster. After struggling for awhile it landed perfectly in the right spot, no damage at all. At first I blamed the s800, of course ;-), but after some reasonable thought I had to admit there were certain other factors weighing in.

Besides that, if I had known better, I would have switched to Att or manual to take back some control, but I was too busy trying to compensate for it's behavior. Looking back i'm not sure if the corrupt gps data was a result of the s800 misbehaving or the other way around. After some research on forums I came to the conclusion this was an error caused by frame vibrations. I have to admit, I liked this explanation, because it ruled out any user error. However, the COG was at the back, making it tail heavy and I was adjusting gains. I took off with 100% throttle. After reading some more forums I've decided I can't rule out anything, changed what I could and didn't encounter this behavior again. GPS/compass data looks clean. I've also read that some people exchanged their frames to rule out vibrations. However some of those users are reporting FOD as well.

Well I guess it reminds us to take real good care of flight safety precautions. It's not just the machine, but the conditions as well. Losing your multi rotor is one, but hurting someone in the process would be horror. Which could happen with any multi rotor.

I'm new to this forum and multi-rotors, but have been flying helis for more years than I will admit to in public. My first purchase was a DJI F-550 from Patrick at Aerial Media Pros. Just want to say a public "thank you" to Patrick. He has been a great help and always took the time to help me when I asked. Thanks Patrick! JP Roswell, NM

fdproductions

FD Productions
130 130 150 160
120 120

Are these your recommended go-to settings for the A2 flight controller? Also, if you don't mind touching on the topic it would be really nice to get some clarity on the viability of A2 (v 2.1) flight controller? I only ask because I recently had a fly-away with my s1000 and now I'm worried about the flight controller in my evo. Do you trust your WKM over your A2 flight controllers? Do you utilize your WKM or A2 when your on set?

Patrick, I have nothing but positive things to say about you, AMP and every single one of your staff. Time and time again, your staff (namely Brian and Mitchell) are just so bad-***, knowledgeable and have this strange aura of multirotor wisdom. AMP's sales professionals put the pro in aerial media pro's and Patrick's leadership truly does make the firm a pioneer in the multirotor community. Honest advise is priceless and the pro's offer it, on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator: