reitewing ZXL

kloner

Aerial DP
ritewing ZXL

I've been flying my zxl for 6 months now and was digging the ruby and nex-5 with the ios, but it still was rolling and tilting from a solid mount camera. After flying the disco pro last week and seeing the power of the hero black, i decided to tear my fullot built working plane down and rebuild her, better, faster, stronger. The first time i built this out it had black vinyl over the top of laminate and that sucked. made it so hot the lam would shift in the sun and loosen up. This is the first time i've ever spent the time to go over it with a paint gun...... this is PunkieIII. the gimbal with hero was about the same weight as a nex

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

1500 watts
80"
ruby
outrage torq brushless servos
alexmos 2 axis w/ 4006
6s
lawmate 2.4 1 watt
ezuhf 4 ch lite

baddo

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
i couldn't wait either.... went and got us footage this am. Were going to be at the river for four days starting tomorrow so had to know if it was ready. has three things on it's list, so glad i went. The footage itself is money... so stoked on this rig, game changer at least for us. footage will follow shortly

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I actually like the roll in a fast forward flight. it is more superman than zenmuse. But what would be cool, and i am sure you could do it if anyone, would be to make it stabilize in roll but not lock it. So if you banked left it would gracefully start to roll left. Bascally not allowing harsh movement but always play catch up with your current position.

kloner

Aerial DP
alexmos has that in follow mode i believe... stabilized to a set degrees then controlled roll,tilt,yaws into position

This is gonna make cars and bikes a hell of a alot easier..... it'll still fit a nex in this gimbal but it needs a gh3...........

kloner

Aerial DP
DSC00579_795.jpg

DSC00562_795.jpg

i.php

i.php

for those that don't know me and the whole punkie thing, this was my Grandfather. pretty much raised me and is the drive that's my fascination with flying

dad_front_of_p57_-557x800-_795.jpg

the first one (c model) ran out of fuel on the way home,,,,

i.php

Weird thing happened, had ruby adjusted to let through tilt and roll control and went flying. My rudder finger is trained even in autonamous mode to rudder. I can't explain it. i was watching out of a different cam during the flight. Theres superman smoothed out for the most part

the what looks like yaw wag is ruby trying to maintain a locked heading. left, right, left, right. in manual mode like the first part of this one it's pretty smooth. but not having to watch speed or altitude and just start waypoints and land the thing is pretty dope if it's a job. I have a zephyr 60 right now that's just for flying sensors with ruby and shes a dream........ 1 hour flights, just keep an eye on the screen in case it aborts the mission and land it is all you gotta do. i've never touched a gain or PID loop

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
how does it yaw in plane like that? wouldnt it need to roll to yaw? Or is that all gimbal smoothing the roll out. Looks nice. Big Mutha F'er!

kloner

Aerial DP
it's rolling left and right making a yaw affect through a 2 axis gimbal... weird. heres the entire flight, it was manual mode flight till 5 minutes

80 inches and 8 lbs 5 oz throwing out of my hand...... it's almost like a 3d foamie leaving,,,,, clinch the *** cheeks everytime it leaves my hand...still

tstrike

pendejo grande
DSC00579_795.jpg

for those that don't know me and the whole punkie thing, this was my Grandfather. pretty much raised me and is the drive that's my fascination with flying

dad_front_of_p57_-557x800-_795.jpg

the first one (c model) ran out of fuel on the way home,,,,

i.php
Grandpa looks like he'd strap those wings on and give your train tracks a run or two, a real American Bad Azz! Great story Kloner, and the video was ok too.

kloner

Aerial DP
thanks dude. miss that old fart. He had some stories, let me tell ya. he finished out the war, came home and on his way landing at Van Nuys hit wind shear and it flipped it over 200 mph and wadded it up hard. burned 80% of his body. needless to say he gave up on the whole test pilot thing. he'd of been along Chuck Yeager if that hadn't of happened

that's the real deal right there. no flares, no gps, just aces
dad_ace_pilot-800x635-_795.jpg

I can only imagine how hard that thing pulled when you floored it...... had to of been fun

tstrike

pendejo grande
P51 Cadillac of the SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 13494
me on the arm Breitling watch commercial we did a couple years ago, my absolute favorite plane ever and I'm not a plane aficionado.
I'm sure your grandpa smiles down on you every time you chuck that monster in the air.

Attachments

• that was a wierd day....jpg
    that was a wierd day....jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 265

kloner

Aerial DP
this plane turned out being THE nicest zephyr i've flown. of course, gramps for a wing man, what did i expect. it leaves like a bat out of hell, cruises around in manual mode with no stabilizing very smooth and stable. You can feel the torq brand brushless servos big time, the plane reacts instantly and very predictably. slow, fast, don't matter. 6s, ruby, brushless gimbal, sustained 1500 watts, if it only could carry more than 4400 mah. it's a sprinter, not a marathon type rig. The horizon roll is still from vibrations making it to the imu, other than that this thing is done. up till 4 minutes was manual no stabilizing mode, 4:00 i hit waypoint mode, 4:20 it went over the first waypoint, goes down the road, zig zags a couple times and turns around down the tracks then over where i'm standing to finish around 7:00, completely autonomous

View attachment 13638

View attachment 13639

Attachments

• tracks loop closer.jpg
    tracks loop closer.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 265
  • tracks-loop-real.jpg
    tracks-loop-real.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 286