XAircraft x650 Pro - SuperX: Gimbal Question

Over the past two weeks I've built out a stock x650 pro w/ SuperX, and have been tweaking settings and getting comfortable with flying over this past weekend. Before too long, I couldn't help myself and strapped an old gopro to the frame to film a few of my flights. What became readily evident is that I want to accelerate my next 'step' and procure a gimbal.

I'd like feedback from the XAircraft/SuperX gurus on the following quandary.

I am very much drawn to the stand alone brushless gimbals, such as Tarot. My understanding however, is that the built in SuperX gimbal functionality only supports servo based gimbals. If that assumption is accurate (and please correct me if it's not), I'm curious if the brushless gimbals are that much better than servo based gimbals, given that they require redundant controller and gyros? Would it not be more efficient to use the same gyros that control flight to control the gimbal?

My apologies in advance, if I'm 'missing' something, and this is a silly question.

Thanks!

I just replied to your email, but here is the answer for anyone else that is curious!

From my experience, both the servo driven and brushless gimbals have the ability to provide stable video when set up correctly. The onboard gimbal control works very well and I think you would be satisfied with the results. Every once and a while servo gimbals will get a little jitter when making tight turns or aggressive manuvers, but it is not very often an issue. The most important thing is to use a gimbal with GOOD servos. The brushless gimbals do offer a bit more stable video out of the box, but if you plan to use a post processing video editor like FCP or Adobe Premier, you wont be able to tell the difference between the finished products. With the SuperX, you can run the servo gimbal right from the SuperX without a UBEC.

As far as brushless gimbals (and here specifically the Tarot since that is what I use), you will need to purchase a UBEC that outputs 12V. I use one that had two outputs so that I can power both the gimbal and my video TX. I soldered mine directly to the power lead to avoid having to put multiple batteries on the quad. I don't really notice a huge difference in flight time, maybe a minute at the max. Also, the Tarot has a built in 5V output for the GoPro cable and the ability to add tilt control from your transmitter or head tracking goggles which makes it a winner in my book. Bottom line is that at the end of the day it doesn't matter much which you choose since both are good viable options!

The Tarot gimbal is awesome once you get it set up and I actually like the way the tilt control works. For less than half the cost of the DJI with as good stability, I'll stick with the Tarot.

iflynavy

The Tarot gimbal is awesome once you get it set up and I actually like the way the tilt control works. For less than half the cost of the DJI with as good stability, I'll stick with the Tarot.

I'm not sure about the stability unless I just have a bad Tarot. Mine constantly will lean to the right just slightly about 5 degrees. It's fine on take off and if you bank right or left it will eventually drift to the right.

The tilt control is a complete personal preference thing. I do think it's important to know because like you said you like it that way, I prefer it the other so its at least nice to have options :) Plus Drew I have bought stuff from you be nice :) (Kidding)