New Gopro 3

rwilabee

I am going to purchase a GoPro 3 camera. I see that they sell Black, Silver, and White. What would be the best for doing some videos from my quad and what settings do you find work the best. This is not for professional stuff just fun.

kloner

Aerial DP
they basically renamed the hero1 to hero3 white, hero2 became hero3 silver and the new black is the bomb. it's super clear, less fisheye but you have to get a real memory card. i found one at best buy from samsung that was 40mb write and it always works. i tried a standard sandisk like gopro offered on there site and it rendered the camera useless. heres a couple , this is hero 2 and hero3

hero3 black

hero2

my hero2 was useless in the twilight, the black actualy films and looks decent

that's all 1080 recordings

Last edited by a moderator:

15crewdawg

I have a GoPro3 Silver. Get the Black! More video modes, better lens, better sensor, and it deals with lighting better. But get a really good memory card like Kloner said, it makes a huge difference.

BTW Kloner, pretty ballsy flying under and around those power lines with the ZII.

rwilabee

I am going to order the Black for sure and get a good memory card. Kloner do you record mostly at 1080 x 60 fps? Thanks Rich You know what is weird when I press Enter I don't get a shift to the next line anymore. Doesn't matter if I press my Insert key or not.

kloner

Aerial DP
that stupid power line failsafed me into the ground..... first time i've had that happen there...

i always shoot 1080 24p in protune...... you get the best bicture and the file sizes aren't stupid. 2.7 and you can fill 32 gigs in a hurry. i do 20 minute flights and it's like 3-4 gigs with good color/clarity. 24p creates cool motion blur too so it looks faster

Check out polarpro nd filters as well. i run the glass naked 3 stop..... have the whole set but that one works best. it's used in both hero3 shots i posted

rwilabee

I found a Samsung 64GB Pro Micro SDXC Extreme Speed Class 10 on Amazon for about 52.00. Does that sound like a good one.
that stupid power line failsafed me into the ground..... first time i've had that happen there...

i always shoot 1080 24p in protune...... you get the best bicture and the file sizes aren't stupid. 2.7 and you can fill 32 gigs in a hurry. i do 20 minute flights and it's like 3-4 gigs with good color/clarity. 24p creates cool motion blur too so it looks faster

Check out polarpro nd filters as well. i run the glass naked 3 stop..... have the whole set but that one works best. it's used in both hero3 shots i posted

kloner

Aerial DP
that sounds like it.... i got mine online at best buy, 32 gig for like $30. stay away from ebay, these things are the most counterfeited thing on there

SMP

We run the same setup as Kloner - Black/Protune/24p/PolarPro3Stop - Protune is a finiky ***** on cards... if recordings are stopping mid flight its likely a card issue... New FW update on GoPro just out as well.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am really enjoying my GoPro3 Black, record at 2.7k (well beyond 1920 x 1080) @ 30 fps for short FPV flights and get razor sharp images..... But for some reason when I upload to YouTube and Vimeo the resulting uploaded videos are not nearly as sharp. In any case for what it is worth here is a flyover on Hole 5 at a local golf club also taking advantage of the GoPro live output feed thru my FPV system. A bit of drama near the end of the vid...... I like the GoPro Black because it provides tremendous value and flexibility and is super light in weight which gives me more airtime and smooth flights with a brushless 2 axis gimbal. see here............... https://vimeo.com/72446025

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I think I will go look for some rail track to fly along........ Seems to me that it is a good way to learn FPV flying....... I say this after trying to video some golf holes nearby....... The first hole was 500 yards long..... Almost lost my Hex....... line of sight is useless for controlling a dot in the sky and for some reason IOC Home mode did not seem to work for me when I really needed it.
they basically renamed the hero1 to hero3 white, hero2 became hero3 silver and the new black is the bomb. it's super clear, less fisheye but you have to get a real memory card. i found one at best buy from samsung that was 40mb write and it always works. i tried a standard sandisk like gopro offered on there site and it rendered the camera useless. heres a couple , this is hero 2 and hero3

hero3 black

hero2

rwilabee

I couldn't find a SDXC card with 40mb write only 20mb write in the Micro size. I did see a Samsung SDXC card that could write at 40 but it wasn't a micro. The one I am looking at is the Samsung 70 mbs read and 20 mb write. It is the MicroSDXC UHS-I card pro.

Rich

hero3 black

hero2

rwilabee

Kloner....

I got my Black Hero 3, the best samsung card I could find, and the Polarpro nd filter. Do you run the filter for most types of shooting?

Thanks
Rich

kloner

Aerial DP
the only time any camera i'm filming with doesn't have a or a stack of filters on it is in the dark..... i'm on the 3 stop, 4 stop and polarized filter set.... the polarized over water looks really cool.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
What polarising filters are you using on the naked GPH3? I have a filter add on for my cased GPH3 but not for the naked.

Also dumped my Sandisk Ultras for the Samsung Pro's.

Thanks

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 444

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Wow that was quick, I had already noticed that the Polar Pros were mentioned.

Ordered the three pack, looks like a good deal.

Do you notice much difference to the balance on the Disco Pro gimbal?

Thanks.

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
nope, worked perfect. that video i made showing the first lift off with a bone stock alexmos settings was it. the gains were 20-30 lower than what it wound up needing on naza, now shes like butter, no yaw wag so the third axis is barely missed.

i had some cool footage but smoking the memory card in the plane later that day killed the footage. i'll go back.. another $50 of gas but so worth it. That was a polarizer over ground not in protune and not post processed. it was the raw file from the camera uploaded....