Cost Of Doing Business - How to suceed financially long term as a creative....

ChrisViperM

Since there is quite a few threads and questions in our forum how to make money by providing various services with the use of a Multirotor and any type of camera.....lots of people watching "great" youtube videos with Aerial footage, and then the great ideas pop up and a warm rain of Dollar-Notes come to mind......ohhh, that's great, just get myself one of these Multirotors, buy a camera and become a multi-millionaire....nothing easier than that. Would be great if it's that easy....

Even if someone is eventually able to tacke all the technical hurdles, he is still faced with some business fundamentals to just have the slightest chance of success, especially when he's got no previous experience in running a successful business....

I remeber reading a thread here on the forum which went something like: " How much are you guys charging for making Aerial footage...." WTF....?

I found the following blog-entry by mistake, but it's one of the best I have ever read about the business side in the creative industry. Although it doesn't cover the hardware-part of the Multirotors, but by understanding the article it's more than easy to incorporate those figures as well into the calculation scheme......the figures might change and vary a big deal from person to person, but the principle behind will remain.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013...eative-long-term-know-your-c-o-d-b/#more-8777

Absolutely great thread about this topic on our Forum here (especially the great posts from member SMP) :

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11856-Aerial-Video-Service-Rate-Sheet

View attachment 13165

Chris

Attachments

• success.jpg
    success.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 383

Thanks Chris for posting that.
Our threads here tend to be very heavy on the technical side, and a few threads (as you pointed out) on a small sliver of the business side. I would add that there is another aspect of what we do (or are trying to do), and that is the creative/artistic side. I have seen people coming from the technical side, and being very savvy on piloting, or aircraft building, or electronics, then jumping into this and seriously lacking on the creativity and artistic aspects. (Then those coming from the photographic or video side of things that do well on the creative side, but struggle with the technical side.)
So ultimately it's a mix of business, artistic, and technical. I know I fall short in all three areas and am still learning all three aspects from the great group of guys we have on this forum such as yourself. My biggest weakness of the three is the business side which is what you are addressing here, and for that I am working with two other guys that deal much better with that.

P.S. I replied prior to reading the blog link you posted, but hope to get to that later today.

3dheliguy

Best Advice out there is very simple, learn how to be a business man, such as talking, walking, calling, cold calling, warm calling, networking, marketing, internet marketing, paper marketing, presenting, connecting, clientele, VIPs, ethics, professionalism, Sales, Service, guarantees, and the American business mind in general.

Thats just what u need to learn before you hire someone, and in the best case scenario this will help you find someone that may not steal from you, lie to you, take your business ideas, and well probably leave you. And I don't mean to be negative that's just business.

Multirotors are becoming easier and easier to build, and it seems like there's a good technical person every where I go, but I would happily take a top notch sales person, marketing person, personable person, and trustworthy person over a little technical know how, that's if you want to start a business. Your whole goal when starting a business, is a plan, you need to be ready for the long haul. It's not easy, but it is rewarding in small ways that can lead to great things. Anybody that thinks they can buy a multi and make it in a this field will be sorely disappointed, I know cuz I thought this way long ago, and its only because of hard work and a unparalleled amount focus, that I have been able to at least see some of the possibilitys in the future.

If there is something that I would urge you all to do is learn how to sell. In our world, and probably on many other worlds, the key to every business is what's called revenue, and to make revenue witch is money you need to sell a product or service. The key to all businesses is to make money, and that should be your goal. You will not be able to do everything at first so you will want to focus on the major subject of selling a service that a person or business will want, and the tough part about that is even tho u think your product or service good, they will never give you the time of day if cannot make a connection. So start calling people and learning to run a business.

Everybody seems to be worried about there stabilization systems, and there Multis so much that they fail to launch there business.
Being creative requires you to be on and off the camera not only in your attitude toward multis, but your attitude toward people. This key concept will separate the people that will succeed and the people that will never get past go, having the best stuff will never help you if you cannot be a good person, and a good business man so your clients will trust you. Learn your trade then learn many more on the way to success. Never take No for an Answer, and always conduct yourself in a professional manner so as to not bash another individual, company, or enitity, only the week use this tactic. If you are exceptional then it will come through.

Good luck, and Enjoy life.

ChrisViperM

Best Advice out there is very simple, learn how to be a business man, such as talking, walking, calling, cold calling, warm calling, networking, marketing, internet marketing, paper marketing, presenting, connecting, clientele, VIPs, ethics, professionalism, Sales, Service, guarantees, and the American business mind in general.

Thats just what u need to learn before you hire someone, and in the best case scenario this will help you find someone that may not steal from you, lie to you, take your business ideas, and well probably leave you. And I don't mean to be negative that's just business.

Multirotors are becoming easier and easier to build, and it seems like there's a good technical person every where I go, but I would happily take a top notch sales person, marketing person, personable person, and trustworthy person over a little technical know how, that's if you want to start a business. Your whole goal when starting a business, is a plan, you need to be ready for the long haul. It's not easy, but it is rewarding in small ways that can lead to great things. Anybody that thinks they can buy a multi and make it in a this field will be sorely disappointed, I know cuz I thought this way long ago, and its only because of hard work and a unparalleled amount focus, that I have been able to at least see some of the possibilitys in the future.

If there is something that I would urge you all to do is learn how to sell. In our world, and probably on many other worlds, the key to every business is what's called revenue, and to make revenue witch is money you need to sell a product or service. The key to all businesses is to make money, and that should be your goal. You will not be able to do everything at first so you will want to focus on the major subject of selling a service that a person or business will want, and the tough part about that is even tho u think your product or service good, they will never give you the time of day if cannot make a connection. So start calling people and learning to run a business.

Everybody seems to be worried about there stabilization systems, and there Multis so much that they fail to launch there business.
Being creative requires you to be on and off the camera not only in your attitude toward multis, but your attitude toward people. This key concept will separate the people that will succeed and the people that will never get past go, having the best stuff will never help you if you cannot be a good person, and a good business man so your clients will trust you. Learn your trade then learn many more on the way to success. Never take No for an Answer, and always conduct yourself in a professional manner so as to not bash another individual, company, or enitity, only the week use this tactic. If you are exceptional then it will come through.

Good luck, and Enjoy life.

Absolutely great post....100 % agree with you.

Because it is not that easy and a lot more involved than a good GPS-hold, it will also make sure that a dedicated and focused person can make his way to success.....even if the copters become more and more Plug'n Play. The copters are just an addition of a 3rd dimension in aquiring media, and if you can't make it a success in the two-dimensional world than you will also fail in the three-dimensional world....regardless how good you rig can fly.

It's the business side what seperates the men from the boys, not the flying skill.....

Chris

nicwilke

Yes. Marketing yourselves as professional operations is a must. PM me for a deal with website design, hosting, and logo creation. www.wmedia.com.au does work for people globally, and we accept paypal for international payment. ;)

ChrisViperM

Great topic! I'm glad to see it being discussed.

Since we all know, you are also in this business as a pro......would be great to hear from a few guys like you about how they went into business and what their experience was to "make it"....

Chris

Kilby

To be honest, I don't see this as much different from any other business. There were a lot of good points made early on in this thread about what it takes to succeed in business, and I think that hit it right on the head. It's all about getting involved and doing a lot of networking. I've had several businesses over the years, and these same rules have always applied no matter if I was flying UAV's or selling hamburgers.

nicwilke

To be honest, I don't see this as much different from any other business. There were a lot of good points made early on in this thread about what it takes to succeed in business, and I think that hit it right on the head. It's all about getting involved and doing a lot of networking. I've had several businesses over the years, and these same rules have always applied no matter if I was flying UAV's or selling hamburgers.

Especially similar when comparing flipping burgers and flipping S800's eh?

Kilby

That's funny as hell! ;-)

I only make that comparison because I grew up in the restaurant business and had my own for a number of years.

Mr. T

Since there is quite a few threads and questions in our forum how to make money by providing various services with the use of a Multirotor and any type of camera.....lots of people watching "great" youtube videos with Aerial footage, and then the great ideas pop up and a warm rain of Dollar-Notes come to mind......ohhh, that's great, just get myself one of these Multirotors, buy a camera and become a multi-millionaire....nothing easier than that. Would be great if it's that easy....

Even if someone is eventually able to tacke all the technical hurdles, he is still faced with some business fundamentals to just have the slightest chance of success, especially when he's got no previous experience in running a successful business....

I remeber reading a thread here on the forum which went something like: " How much are you guys charging for making Aerial footage...." WTF....?

I found the following blog-entry by mistake, but it's one of the best I have ever read about the business side in the creative industry. Although it doesn't cover the hardware-part of the Multirotors, but by understanding the article it's more than easy to incorporate those figures as well into the calculation scheme......the figures might change and vary a big deal from person to person, but the principle behind will remain.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013...eative-long-term-know-your-c-o-d-b/#more-8777

Absolutely great thread about this topic on our Forum here (especially the great posts from member SMP) :

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11856-Aerial-Video-Service-Rate-Sheet

View attachment 16668

Chris
Thanks Chris for this post and the links. The cost break down will be very helpful when building my business plan. Plus it gives me a lot of insight as to the pull through cost in the beginning. Thanks again for helping me get down the road with this. When it comes to the technical aspect if it is ok, I will be calling on you. -Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Thanks Chris for this post and the links. The cost break down will be very helpful when building my business plan. Plus it gives me a lot of insight as to the pull through cost in the beginning. Thanks again for helping me get down the road with this. When it comes to the technical aspect if it is ok, I will be calling on you. -Terry

You are always welcome....the members here and myself will always try to help

Chris

Mr. T

You are always welcome....the members here and myself will always try to help

Chris
Here is a question. In buying this Nano Qx, being this is the very first multirotor, should I just by the RTF and use that controller, or buy BNF and begin training on sophisticated (compared to the cheapy that comes with the Nano RTF) controller like spektrum.

ChrisViperM

I would go for the RTF since the "cheapy" controller and the quad are a perdect match....no need to figure out if and how any pro-transmitter can be bound to the quad. That gives you fun straight away the time to go deeper into transmitters. Before you decide for Futaba, Spectrum, JR or whatever, try to get the different transmitters personally in your hand and buy that one which "feels" best.....there is millions of threads about the "best" transmitter, reading all that would lead you to nowhere....modern transmitters are all more or less on the same level as far as safety and range is concerned, but all got their own menue structure for programming. Futaba and their S-Bus is favored at the moment by many Flight Control manufacturers, but this doesn't help you if it doesn't feel "right" in your hand. Also downloading the manuals from different transmitters might help you in your chouice....

PS: Always buy as many channels as you can afford......

Chris

Mr. T

I would go for the RTF since the "cheapy" controller and the quad are a perdect match....no need to figure out if and how any pro-transmitter can be bound to the quad. That gives you fun straight away the time to go deeper into transmitters. Before you decide for Futaba, Spectrum, JR or whatever, try to get the different transmitters personally in your hand and buy that one which "feels" best.....there is millions of threads about the "best" transmitter, reading all that would lead you to nowhere....modern transmitters are all more or less on the same level as far as safety and range is concerned, but all got their own menue structure for programming. Futaba and their S-Bus is favored at the moment by many Flight Control manufacturers, but this doesn't help you if it doesn't feel "right" in your hand. Also downloading the manuals from different transmitters might help you in your chouice....

PS: Always buy as many channels as you can afford......

Chris
Right now I feel like I should send you a check for consulting services! I'm starting to go all fuzzy and misty just thinking about it. (tears of joy cascading down my cheeks as I pull out my checkbook, or maybe i should say cheekbook) :)
Seriously though, you are a great asset. Thanks again for taking time away from your busy schedule to answer this question. I will go RTF.

jes1111

I'm prompted by another thread to add another "calculation" to this one. Before doing any Cost of Business spreadsheet there's a more fundamental assessment that one should do: namely, do I have all the necessary skills/knowledge for this business? Loosely speaking there are three key elements - business skills, flying skills and photographic skills. In order to succeed one is going to need to be at least "proficient" in all three.

Vincent LaForet wrote his excellent article as a warning to "creatives" (i.e. people with some measure of marketable photographic talents) that they should develop their business skills to match. Here we need to add another, entirely separate activity - the acquisition, piloting and maintenance of a flying machine. Each corner of this three-way "skills matrix" must be measured and, if necessary, improved upon in order to assure success in the venture.

Focusing only on the flying and photography "corners", there are four possible permutations that would describe any particular individual contemplating earning money at this game:
- already proficient photographer and proficient flyer
- already proficient photographer but flying beginner
- already proficient flyer but photography beginner
- beginner flyer and photography beginner

If you're in the first category then you are indeed fortunate. If you're a proficient photographer or flyer but a beginner in the other activity then, quite obviously, you need to work on that deficiency before launching your venture. It would be "inappropriate" to attempt to "learn on the job". And, naturally, if you are beginner at both flying and photography then you have two long (and steep) learning curves to climb before ever contemplating charging clients.

As a final consideration, I believe that the primary activity (the one that clients are actually paying you for) is photography, not flying. The multirotor is just an additional tool employed to produce the required photographic results. One's talent, skills and experience as a photographer are therefore the most important, just as they would be for a ground-based photographic business.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
As a final consideration, I believe that the primary activity (the one that clients are actually paying you for) is photography, not flying. The multirotor is just an additional tool employed to produce the required photographic results. One's talent, skills and experience as a photographer are therefore the most important, just as they would be for a ground-based photographic business.

A very good point and one which is often overlooked unless your client is providing the photographer in which case you are supplying the aircraft plus piloting skills. The best aerial business will have a pilot from a piloting background and a photographer from a photagraphic background. Loads of AP businesses seem to have 2x photographers or 2xpilots getting into the trade.

Mr. T

I'm prompted by another thread to add another "calculation" to this one. Before doing any Cost of Business spreadsheet there's a more fundamental assessment that one should do: namely, do I have all the necessary skills/knowledge for this business? Loosely speaking there are three key elements - business skills, flying skills and photographic skills. In order to succeed one is going to need to be at least "proficient" in all three.

Vincent LaForet wrote his excellent article as a warning to "creatives" (i.e. people with some measure of marketable photographic talents) that they should develop their business skills to match. Here we need to add another, entirely separate activity - the acquisition, piloting and maintenance of a flying machine. Each corner of this three-way "skills matrix" must be measured and, if necessary, improved upon in order to assure success in the venture.

Focusing only on the flying and photography "corners", there are four possible permutations that would describe any particular individual contemplating earning money at this game:
- already proficient photographer and proficient flyer
- already proficient photographer but flying beginner
- already proficient flyer but photography beginner
- beginner flyer and photography beginner

If you're in the first category then you are indeed fortunate. If you're a proficient photographer or flyer but a beginner in the other activity then, quite obviously, you need to work on that deficiency before launching your venture. It would be "inappropriate" to attempt to "learn on the job". And, naturally, if you are beginner at both flying and photography then you have two long (and steep) learning curves to climb before ever contemplating charging clients.

Thank you Jes
I have a lot of work cut out for me. To be perfectly honest, I'm a guy in my early 50's, so I'm starting late. In my youth I played around with photography, but being in college I couldn't continue to pay for all the rolls of film and development! I put common photography away and forgot about it, as I began the trek for my career. I never did get away from it though. Since 1984 I have been shooting film in a part of industry that combines science and art (radiography/ultrasound). In my mid 20's, I found ultralights fascinating, and thought how great it would be make a living working in this great sport (flying as a living seemed like the ultimate dream), BUT I contemplated the liablity and never went forward with it. Now come with me to my late 20's...cool desert morning.......the engine of my Benson gyrocopter screaming at 60mph, and I am skimming 15' above El Mirage dry lake bed. Air quickly and forcefully flowing into my helmet....my eyes watering up. The only thing in front of me: a stick in my hand, the blur of a rotor blade spinning above me, a console between my legs with a 7 inch piece of yarn attached to it, twisting in the wind, my feet on the rudder pedals. The evidence of exuberance, as roar of laughter and howling, blasted ahead of me like a blaring sireen. Never felt as alive, as I did then. So the day (about 3 weeks ago) I saw a tricked out drone flying and recording its mission, the light and a hope came on...Although I'm standing on the ground, a certain amount of flying joy and adventure flickered inside. "HHMMM", I thought, something I could do to fulfill a dream, but not make my wife a widow. I have been thinking hard about this triad you mentioned. It is a lot of work...I know. OJT... absolutely not. So you know why this intrigues and pulls at me. I hope that somehow this little glimpse of my past conveys my depth of appreciation for you, Chris, Flygirl and others, in helping me fly down the road with this goal and dream. Anything that can help me in skills and the avoidance of pitfalls in this business, is greatly cherished. Thank you.

-Terry