Planning to build. 6s system

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hi I'M planning to build a 6s hex with the tarot 810 or the 960 any advice on most efficient motor would be nice. I'm will be carrying the NEX5r on a brushless gumball, AUW should be around 5Kg and I'm looking for 15 minutes of flight

Rhanks

If you need motors i have 6 axi 4120/20 goldline motors for sale they are made for 5s/6s with large props and heavy lift
Gr.

IMHO - the Tarots look like excellent products. I would personally opt for the 960 MR airframe which is the 810 but with longer motor arms. Those longer motor arms give you more latitude for future, larger prop diameters beyond the basic 15 inch diameter props that you may decide to start out with. Using eCalc I came up with a design for a 800mm MR airframe to carry a Hero GoPro3 c/w 2axis gimbal and the best I could achieve with two 5000 mah batteries was 12.5 minutes according to eCalc results but actually 15 minutes of actual hover flight time. In your case your will have a heavier camera and a heavier gimbal but possibly a lighter MR airframe.

As far as motors, the new pancake motor style which is specifically designed for Multirotors takes advantage of more poles, i.e., 22 poles and higher while also increasing the torque by means of increased motor stator diameters. Motor height is secondary to motor diameter with respect to torque..... and you will need extra torque to turn the larger diameter props to produce the needed thrust. Also the newer paddle type props can be directly mounted to the pancake style motors which helps slightly to minimize motor vibration challenges by keeping the motor shaft length to the prop as short as possible. There are rumours of larger 32 pole MR motors but I haven't seen any for sale yet. In summary if you look closely at ZeroUAV MR products boosting about 60 minute airtimes c/w payloads, it should be obvious that MR frame diameter is needed to allow for much larger but slower props (or you will have to go with a Quad coax design which makes room for larger props but loses some prop efficiency.

Finally keep in mind that it is sometimes possible to build an MR system that your controller cannot be configured to control properly with respect to PID loop tuning for Basic and Attitude gains in which case you could end up with an MR that constantly wobbles during flight. I am currently using the Turnigy Multistar http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4830_420Kv_22Pole_Multi_Rotor_Outrunner.html but these are 420kv......if I had a choice with pancake style motors I would have selected a 320kv version....... still looking. In the meantime Tarot makes/sells motors that are almost identical to those sold by DJI for their S800 but at a much lower price......and there are others as recently posted here on MRF.

An MR frame manfacturer you might also want to consider is ChaosChoppers in Swift Current Saskatchewan. http://www.chaoschoppers.com/

Hi I'M planning to build a 6s hex with the tarot 810 or the 960 any advice on most efficient motor would be nice. I'm will be carrying the NEX5r on a brushless gumball, AUW should be around 5Kg and I'm looking for 15 minutes of flight

Rhanks

soler

Rhanks

I have the Tarot 960, for the motors i would recommend the Tarot 4114/320kv, with 10,000mah battery you should achieve 15 Mins.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Explorcam check this video and make your decision:

Personally i think your best call are the tiger motors ! The Axi 4120 are great motors but to heavy and overpower your setup. 5kg you are fine with the tigers !

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the Tiger 4008-18 motors have been working very well for me. with 12" props you'll be fine carrying your camera and a couple of good size batteries.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
the Tiger 4008-18 motors have been working very well for me. with 12" props you'll be fine carrying your camera and a couple of good size batteries.

Are you on 4 or 6s on thos 12" props? Oops, I see they're 380Kv so must be 6S.
What are you flight times what's your AUW??

Electro 2

Motor height is secondary to motor diameter with respect to torque......
There are rumours of larger 32 pole MR motors but I haven't seen any for sale yet...........

To the best of my knowedge the key element is total swept pole-magnet area in square inches or CM. How you get it is somewhat incidental. Could be a looong, thin, armature or a really short, incredibly large diameter one. Since the extra poles require more physical space, you end up with a large diameter, thin, disc-shaped affair. Im using 22 pole 4822s on my new build. Tiger has already introduced the 32 pole units, and they're HUGE. View attachment 13188

Attachments

• U8_53.jpg
    U8_53.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 286

Thanks for the info on the U8 32 pole Tiger motor. With 8 one should be able to lift a Smart Car!!!!!
Re: Torque.... yes additional radius is necessary for all the additional poles and yes swept-ploe magnet area is a major factor but also.....
http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/physics/torque.html
So there must be an optimum efficiency between radius and motor height.......without digging in deep here I am assuming the new pancake style motors are designed that way for a reason.

To the best of my knowedge the key element is total swept pole-magnet area in square inches or CM. How you get it is somewhat incidental. Could be a looong, thin, armature or a really short, incredibly large diameter one. Since the extra poles require more physical space, you end up with a large diameter, thin, disc-shaped affair. Im using 22 pole 4822s on my new build. Tiger has already introduced the 32 pole units, and they're HUGE. View attachment 16691

Blacksails

Only a 5s system but I'm running a 6.3kg octo on tiger motor 2814's. Upped my props yesterday from 10x5 to12x4. I expected to be taking them off, thinking that the motors would be running far too hot, but they came back down at only 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Now getting 14-15 minutes safe flight time.
I've been flying these motors for nearly two years now on a fairly weighty machine. They have not let me down. Tigers get my vote, lovely motors.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Only a 5s system but I'm running a 6.3kg octo on tiger motor 2814's. Upped my props yesterday from 10x5 to12x4. I expected to be taking them off, thinking that the motors would be running far too hot, but they came back down at only 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Now getting 14-15 minutes safe flight time.
I've been flying these motors for nearly two years now on a fairly weighty machine. They have not let me down. Tigers get my vote, lovely motors.

Wow,
I have the Axi 2814-22 on a hex running swinging Graupner 12x6" Props, (2 x 4s 5000mAh), AUW is a about 4.3Kg and I'm only getting 9minutes. When I put the NEX-5r and larger gimbal I expect the AUW to around 5.2Kg and flight time to be less than 6 minutes. This is why I'm planning to switch to a 6S system.

Are the T-motor 2814 similar to the Axi 2814-22? I'm really amazed by your flight times. I tried using 5s on 10x5" graupners but the motors sounded horrible and I didn't have the same kind of control as I did on the 4S I didn't change any of the gains when I tried it, just an experiment, but it sounded awful and made very nervous.

Blacksails

The tiger motors are 2814-11's and are 710kv....well they're torxpower 3536 pros which are rebranded tiger 2814-11's.

I loved flying my xoar 10x5's on 5s at about 5.8kg. Got 9 mins on 2x 5500mah. The high disk loading on the WKM gave excellent stability in wind. It wasn't as responsive as with the 12's but it would fly in winds up to 30-35mph happily. Just leant into it. Wasn't nice to fly in that kind of wheather, but it didn't wobble. Motors didn't sound much different to me. The 12's are far more wobbly and it doesn't hold position as well but I get nearly double the flight time.

Mine is getting 14 mins with a nex 5n, brushless gimbal and large 8000mah zippys in parallel. E-calc has been fairly spot on so far for this bird and tells me I can happily fly another 3kg on this setup and get around 8 mins...I wouldn't do that though. Not sure the frame would cope (AD8 HLE)

Electro 2

.......without digging in deep here I am assuming the new pancake style motors are designed that way for a reason.

Yup, correct-amundo. Tiger is quoting peak efficiency figures of *16* G/W. Roughly double what we deal with now. The reason. And the U8 ain't the only one out there, either.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
The U8 look pretty cool, but I don't think I'm going to build a 12s system. LOL.
BUt I get your point about the pancake motors. Seems like the way to go.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
AUW is about 14 pounds, flight times are about 15 min using two 6S 6000mah packs and 12" Xoar props. I've picked up four 8000mah 6S packs so I'm expecting longer flight times as the motors weren't really straining to carry the 14 lbs it was at with the 6000 mah packs.