Mikrokopter Got my Mikrokopter Quadro XL Kit today and dissappointed about..

ovdt

Hello everyone,

I got my Quadro XL kit from mikrokopter.de. I unpacked everything with holding my breath. But guess what.. The center plate is so weak; there is no way that I'll build my Quadro on it.

I'm gonna replace those centerplates with custom CFK or aluminium parts. I think they'll be CFK with silicon pad supported arms to isolte the vibration.

I'll post a picture how it's easily bent when I get back to home ( Sunday hopefully).

Friday, I'm getting my Droidworx AD6HL with AXi 2217/22 motors from Digitech.nl. I will post about my first impressions about it too.

So, let's see what I've got in my hand so far (waiting to built).

Quadro XL Kit:
4x MK3638 motors
4x BL-Ctrl 2.0
Navi-Ctrl 2.0
MK GPS 2.1

Droidworx AD6HL with Extended Landing Gear:
6x AXI 2217/22 motors
Navi-Ctrl 2.0
MK GPS 2.1
6x BL-Ctrl 2.0

I have lots of props to try in hand:
APC 14x4.7 SlowFly Props
Graupner 11x5 props
Xoar 13x8 Wood props

I have bunch of motors on the way :
6x Pulso X2826/12
6x AXi 2820/12

Well these are for another subject; I only wanted to tell that I'm really disappointed with Mikrokopter's default center plate.

Also the hood is so plastic, it won't protect from crashes.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ovdt,
i'm undecided on the quality of MK frame parts. on one hand I'm flying my Okto a lot and it's doing great carrying about the max it can handle on every flight. on the other hand, the parts can seem flimsy and cheap.
i prefer a light aircraft with good flying qualities to a heavy crashworthy aircraft that doesn't fly too well. i'd recommend you try building it stock first and see if it's really lacking or if it's just different from what you've experienced in the past. different isn't necessarily bad if it does its job well.
good luck with it.
bart

ovdt

Dave, Bartman,

I'm now back to office with lots of stuff in my hand.

My first priority is to set-up Quadkopter XL (which is almost done). I'm gonna shoot a video about this instead of writing.

I'll post my findings, the challenges that a newbie can face, tips & tricks I've learned at the first time etc.

One thing I can tell right now is, I'm gonna built my own frames after this. Maybe the same design but with sitffer materials.

Droidworx is AD6-HL (Heavy Lift) is maybe 5 times stiffer than Mikrokopter centerplates.

DennyR

It will be interesting to see how you rate the Axi against the X2826/12. Do you plan to test run them on a bench or in the airframe?

I have to agree about the general quality of some of the MK stuff. The thing to watch out for with the X2826/12 is that it can draw a lot of current at full power. So you may want to think about limiting the throttle volume. That could be more than 40 amps with a 14x4.7 prop. It is unlikely that you would ever need that much power as it would be over 3kg of lift. Your batteries would fry.

ovdt

Hi Denny,

I hope to get AXI and Pulso motors before August. I'll definetely share my findings. I'll try to setup a bench like yours. If not, I'm gonna evaluate them on the frame (vibration wise especially).

I've been folllowing your posts about Pulso 2826/12, that's why I choosed them actually.

OVDT -

Let me also suggest an alternate, relatively inexpensive but very high-quality heavy-lift frame: Rusty's REV-8 from aglhobbiesllc.com

I built a HexaXL Clone on this frame. It uses Pulso 2814/22 motors on 14" long pull-truded carbon fiber arms. I fly an MK FC 2.0, and I use TimeCop's i2c Converter with ExceedRC 30A ESC's. I'm swinging 12x6 APC props, but that's only because I don't yet have my 13x6.5 props. This thing is ridiculously stable, and based on it's absolutely insane vertical climb speed, I am certain I could carry any camera out there with this thing.

Rusty's frame, I believe, gets most of the credit for this super stable bird! Note that you have to buy the arms separately, but even so - for an XL Quad frame I think you'd be looking at less than $150USD. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAD1rx4uCPo

ovdt

Thank you guys for the frame recommendations.

I liked the Rusty Rev 8 Frame but getting the arms and drilling them is another work.

Now, I'm eager to build my own frame. I have some autocad drawings,( http://ng.uavp.ch/moin/Documentation/Construction/CAD). I'll modify them for Mikrokopter and CC boards. (MKs power distribution board doesn't fit in to these frame drawings). I have 2 of them from fiberglass material. It was easy to find a CNC laser cut facility. (Paid 2$ for each plate)

Finding 10mm square tubes is kind of hard here. 12 mm round tubes are easier to find. Round tube arms are more effective for air flow efficiency but mounting motor to round arms need another adaptor of which I think I can't build at home. (I can buy 6 meters of 12mm aliminum round tube for 8$ ).

Do you guys have any ideas for mounting motors to round arms? I can buy adaptors from nglhobbies but they are kind of expensive :)

Thank you guys for the frame recommendations.

I liked the Rusty Rev 8 Frame but getting the arms and drilling them is another work.

Now, I'm eager to build my own frame. I have some autocad drawings,( http://ng.uavp.ch/moin/Documentation/Construction/CAD). I'll modify them for Mikrokopter and CC boards. (MKs power distribution board doesn't fit in to these frame drawings). I have 2 of them from fiberglass material. It was easy to find a CNC laser cut facility. (Paid 2$ for each plate)

Finding 10mm square tubes is kind of hard here. 12 mm round tubes are easier to find. Round tube arms are more effective for air flow efficiency but mounting motor to round arms need another adaptor of which I think I can't build at home. (I can buy 6 meters of 12mm aliminum round tube for 8$ ).

Do you guys have any ideas for mounting motors to round arms? I can buy adaptors from nglhobbies but they are kind of expensive :)

ovdt,

10mm squaretubes are actually not hard to find.I found them at an aluminium workshop in the neighbourhood.I would go with the round ones as these are less prone to bending/vibrations

Regarding mounting motors to round tubes,here's something you should have a look at:

http://www.kopterframe.de/shop/index.php?cPath=6 (see the picture of the quad I posted earlier.It has these motors mounts)

By the way,where are you from?

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Thanks conexxion,

I live in Turkey. We have some aliminum suppliers here but they don't have 10mm square tubes at the moment. So I decided to go with round tubes.

I'll let you know how this new frame built will go on.