OSD quandary

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I am looking at 3 OSD units....

(1) Immersion EZosd - Pretty simple to understand, just hook up a few connectors and set up the display. About $180.
(2) DragonOSD - Not really heard too much about them, they seem pretty straight forward. About $180.
(3) EagleTree OSD - Confused by what I need to buy, nothing is simple with this unit. About $whoknows.

Some advice on which to buy is what I am looking for, what will I need with the EagleTree to have a decent usable system? for about $200 I could have the DragonOSD with Rate of climb and temp sensor.

Your input?

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
1) takes forever to acquire a GPS lock every flight. Cool flight stats after landing. I'd get the tbs version but I've never used it

2) dragon stuff is notoriously faulty.

3) if you go there I can help ya figure out what you need. Best antenna tracker I've tried and a ton of a curate info. Super configurable but made for a plane

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Thank you Dave, I take it you are using the EagleTree system on that wing you're flying. I am looking for something that is accurate, will last and will not add too much weight to my TBS Discovery. That seems to be another issue I am having right now, I thought the VTX was interfering with the controller or something, it turns out my batteries are more than likely shot already and are not producing the amperage to slow the decent down when near 3.4 volts per cell.

Yes, I would like to know what I would need for the EagleTree. I am not so worried about data logging but with so many parts to them, it is hard to figure out what I need. TBS, I am very reluctant to make any more purchases from TBS, I mailed trappy about an issue I have with some 9x5 Graupners I bought from him and I still have had no reply in over a month. So as you can probably tell, I am not going to feed $220 into his pocket for him to ignore a customer if I run into issues with the ezOSD.

Many thanks again.

Dean

kloner

Aerial DP
Steve...

it just takes this part to turn it on, give you mah used, amperage, watts, home arrow, distance, elevation, speed. basicaly everything. I always *** the altimiter module, it changes the behavior of altitude to very precise instead of swing up and down 15 feet like using the gps. it's another $50, glues to the side of the osd. the eagle tree is about double wide as the immersion, but it's powerful and full configurable. you can get thermometer leads for $10 and can place two on anything. esc's, vtx, anything that overheats and causes a problem. i used to hang one just to see the outside temp.

this is the same size rig, it had eagle tree installed
007%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Sorry, I thought your name was Dave... my mistake.

I have made an offer on one that is on eBay, it is used and comes with a stabilizer, of which I will not need and will sell. See what comes of it, I am not paying anymore then I offered, I think $185 is enough for a used OSD Pro, V4 Elogger, 10 Hz GPS and Guardian Stabilizer don't you?

kloner

Aerial DP
fair offer. i'm interested in the guardian if you get it.... I have gotten them without guardian for $150 used

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I will keep you informed on how this goes... I am guessing the Guardian is only good for fixed wing applications right?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Just received it today, temp install as I am going to moving the GPS for the Naza further away from my VTX, tested the equipment and all is working great. Thanks for your Help Kloner, I appreciate it but decided to keep the stabilizer, I just found it puts an artificial horizon on my Heads Up... Pretty cool and I am glad you talked me into getting the Eagle Tree.. Loving it so far.

Dean

kloner

Aerial DP
if the horizon line sucks remember to adjust the gain. its in the osd config window under on screen parameters. overall stab, keep it mid way from default

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Thanks Kloner, I think I have it set up... I just finished squeezing everything inside my Disco.. lol I am trying to keep the top of it as empty as possible, I have the VTX, Naza GPS, EagleTree GPS and my RX on top! that's enough for the top I think.
I can't wait to try it out, probably will be the weekend if the weather is good to me. Already tested the OSD while it was in a thousand pieces on my work top, kinda fun setting up all the little parts of the display.

kloner

Aerial DP
you can fully fly ifr with these things..... alot of times ive been blasted and the numbers show better than the picture and it's saved my butt. super flexible little units

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I got to put her up tonight, I see what you mean about the IFR..... It makes it so much easier to fly this beast with just my LCD 7" screen. I am starting to find the screen needs to be bigger or I need to get some FatShark google. Having a blast with this Discovery now and I am getting a wicked 15 minutes flight time off of 1 4S 4500 mAh 30 - 70c battery. I think my 3 cells got zapped by this set up, they was always very hot within minutes.