Looking for higher quality camera

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Currently using a Hero GoPro3 Black which provides excellent results for the most part from the perspective of semi-pro work..... but my clients are looking for DSLR quality videos......
I was thinking of the Sony Nex5N but now the Sony Nex7 is out c/w 26 MegaPixel sensor...... Anyone using this camera for aerial video?
Also I have always liked the Panasonic Lumix micro 4/3 cameras and I get the impression they can give me sharper images due to the hig quality glass.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

tombrown1

Currently using a Hero GoPro3 Black which provides excellent results for the most part from the perspective of semi-pro work..... but my clients are looking for DSLR quality videos......
I was thinking of the Sony Nex5N but now the Sony Nex7 is out c/w 26 MegaPixel sensor...... Anyone using this camera for aerial video?
Also I have always liked the Panasonic Lumix micro 4/3 cameras and I get the impression they can give me sharper images due to the hig quality glass.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The Panasonic GH3 is almost unbeatable - especially at the weight. If you want to get better than GH3, then you're looking at a hacked 5D Mark III, or maybe a Black Magic and then on to things like a RedEpic.

Oh, I'm only talking about video.

For stills, there are a number of options - including the RX100. Sonys are great across the board. The king would be the 5D Mark III - but at a very large weight requirement.

Best,

Tom

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Thanks Tom,
When one analyses the total system cost including the medium or heavy lifter, it is easy to justify spending more $$$ on the higher quality lower weight cameras and this application will be 98% for video work.

My current MR is an S800 clone c/w 2 axis brushless gimbal system and I do not want to invest in a more expensive heavy lifter to carry an SLR or Red Epic etc.

The original Black Magic cinema cameras apparently weigh in at 3.3 and 3.8 lbs ( a bit too heavy for me)!!!

When used with the Lumix GX-Vario 12-35mm OIS lens.....
The Panasonic GH3 c/w basic lens, installed battery and SD card apparently weighs in at only 1.885 lbs
But the new Black Magic Pocket Cinema camera weighing in at only 1.455 lbs.
Not sure how critical it is to have the 60 fps feature but the Black Magic Pocket cinema camera is limited to 30 fps.....

I think the GH3 would be the best choice overall for my applications.

BTW - The Nex7 offers a 26 Megapixel sensor but is of no value for video work which is limited to the previous sensor range.

:beguiled:
Looks like I am on a steep learning curve again here........

The Panasonic GH3 is almost unbeatable - especially at the weight. If you want to get better than GH3, then you're looking at a hacked 5D Mark III, or maybe a Black Magic and then on to things like a RedEpic.

Oh, I'm only talking about video.

For stills, there are a number of options - including the RX100. Sonys are great across the board. The king would be the 5D Mark III - but at a very large weight requirement.

Best,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

eyeball

Well...its not quite a Epic but Ive got a low mileage Nex5 inc pancake and more for a fair price on the classifieds...would make a good low cost setup without breaking the piggy bank:friendly_wink:

kloner

Aerial DP
the nex wont satisfy most producers appetite. the gh3 cuts in with red footage clean, almost all you need. I want that pocket blackmagic but they still haven't released it have they?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Release date unknown..... I would buy it but am hesitating because it is limited to 30 fps.... and I think I read somewhere that 60 fps is important although not for Youtube.....
So it still looks like the GH3 is the way to go at this time and I have been mostly happy with my revious Panasonic Lumix cameras to date.

the nex wont satisfy most producers appetite. the gh3 cuts in with red footage clean, almost all you need. I want that pocket blackmagic but they still haven't released it have they?

ash

Sony RX100 has a huge sensor with 20MP and shoots great 1080P vid. I can't fault it, and it's very light compared to a DSLR.

jhardway

For vid, some of the Sony Handy cams with the B.O.S.S. system works pretty well and it only comes in around 650g.

stills the RX 100 for the weight/quality ratio, I feel you can not beat the results, however it is not the most RC aerial friendly camera, no infrared trigger, and its HDMI out is on the bottom of the camera, right next to the mount screw receiver, what was sony thinking, not just for the RC side but no one who would like to utilize the HDMI out can, unless its being hand held. For the cost of the camera that does not make sense.

It puts out good result though.

Last edited by a moderator: