Alexmos Simple BGC from CSGShop

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Purchased this item from CSGShop....... noticed when it was received that the IMU sensor does not come with the connecting cable and does not have a connection plug on the sensor board. Likewise the BGC board does not have the matching connector. Meanwhile most other distributors are selling units that have the mounted connectors and connection cable. Seems I am getting old stock but with the firmware updated to latest!!! Also when first attempting to test the unit I noticed the GUI indicates "sensor board not connected"......... even though I soldered in the 4 wire cable and connected it correctly......in summary this BGC does not function at all........ DOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .sending it all back for a full refund........ bad QA from the distributor and no response yet re: refund and return etc. I expected a much better product for the price paid!:dread:

Kilby

From what I have heard in the past, you are lucky it showed up at all. I've seen several horror stories about ordering from them. Good luck! If they don't sort you out, GotHeliRC.com has them also.

Actually these have been evolving quickly. Originals came out as kits, then manufacturer/distributor enhanced them by having most pin assemblies installed before shipment, then they added some pluggable connectors and now there is the ARMBGC which simply has all the connectors and cables provided but for some additional cost. Much depends on which site you are digging for needed info such as manuals, firmware upgrades, GUIs and software. Mine came from Latvia CSG Shop which is were the original developer makes and distributes them and the shipping cost is very low as well.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Connecting the IMU sensor board to the SimpleBGC controller board....... Some of the earlier units were shipped without IMU port connectors and the interfacing four wire cable. In such cases very fine soldering is required using an appropriate wire gauge that is not too heavy. I cut up an old IPhone USB cable which proved most suitable for the BGC/IMU connection as it is light gauge, stranded and rugged c/w Teflon or nylon insulation. The wire colors are red,green,black and white which is of no concern if one takes care to connect both ends appropriately as laid out in each pcb. Here is an example of a later release of the SimpleBGC c/w board mounted connector at one end and soldered connection at the opposite end. NOTE: If you receive one of these from a supplier you should note that in addition to the two LEDs on the BGC board, there is another on the IMU sensor board. If it does not light up when first connected to the SimpleBGC and powered.... then it is defective or wired incorrectly. I first bought and used the open source Martinez BGC board but it was a challenge to update the firmware and get it working properly..... now fully resolved. My next posting compares the Maetinez with the Alexmos....... View attachment 13104

Attachments

• Alexmos-colors.JPG
    Alexmos-colors.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 383

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Alexmos versus Martinez Brushless Gimbal Controller (2Axis)

Key differences: 1) Both have the same footprint size. 2) The Alexmos offer a future migration path to allow for a 3rd axis control. 3) The motor controller chips on the Alexmos appear to be more robust to handle higher motor currents for larger camera gimbal systems 4) The IMU sensor on the Martinez is extremely small and uses 5 versus the 4 wire connector for the Alexmos. 5) The Martinez is preconfigured for use with the RCTimer GoPro 2 axis gimbal and a GoPro camera 6) The Alexmos seems to be pre-configured for a larger 2 axis gimbal and camera such as the Sony Nex5N or Panasonic GH??? SUMMARY: I expected to have a less troublesome setup with the Alexmos after so many struggles with the open source Martinez..... but I had more hardware problems with the Alexmos......... I will update this report once my replacement IMU sensor arrives from CSG Shop in Latvia in about one week...... the original IMU sensor seems to be defective.:dread: