Record Altitude, speed and flight path of copter via your phone

Teamflail

Did not see another post about this but was looking for a quick and easy way to record the altitude, speed and flight path of each flight. Found an app. named Altitude in the Google Play store. It records all 3 via the GPS in your phone. I simply Velcro'd and zip tied my phone to my hexacopter to make sure it did not disappear during flight. ;-) From the photos below you can see where I had the phone attached to the copter. As well, I have a screenshot of the altitude and speed graph over the duration of the flight. Just thought I would send out this info in case anyone wants a cheap method to track their flights. Enjoy!

View attachment 13021 View attachment 13022

Attachments

• altitude.jpg
    altitude.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 256
  • SAM_0003.jpg
    SAM_0003.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 283

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
You could actually get the exact same thing by simply strapping an APM2.5 on your copter. In fact, you could even get it to report back wirelessly so you can watch it real-time. Only about $300 including telemetry, cheaper than a smart-phone.

And bonus, it comes with free flight-control too! :highly_amused:

Teamflail

Thank you for the information! Definitely want something like that in the near future. Just wanted to know now how fast and high I am actually going with my hex. Nothing like being a geek these days!!

kloner

Aerial DP
but then he wouldn't be teamflail

theres a bunch of osd's you can get, if you like naza the dji osd is a cool one to use. uses that gps puck for all the intel like arrow to home, speed, altitude, etc.

this a plane of mine, has cool info, kinda like the apm he mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
this one has a pitot tube... the top left number that is under MAN is the windspeed where i'm at and which direction it's coming from

Teamflail

this one has a pitot tube... the top left number that is under MAN is the windspeed where i'm at and which direction it's coming from

I wondered if that was the wind speed and direction. Reminds me of the flat screens on the planes back when I flew. Very high tech!! Thanks again for the 411!

kloner

Aerial DP
you tell me and we will both know. Hows it auto land? knows where the winds at.gotta imagine it seperates the sattelite date from the pitot data and the heading data....... it's pretty cool but as proprietary as they come...... I'm doing testing with a project of theres that's fully automated like you apm guys like doing..... click and fly. Ruby is a pretty powerfull little tool. It also has a camera point of interest lock where you aim the camera with the radio and ruby flies the plane around that with the spot locked in

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Ok, so it infers it from the relative airspeed velocity data. Does it take a little while for it to come up with a solution after launching?

I think Arduplane can do that, but I haven't flown airplanes with it. I'd love to be able to do it with Arducopter, but it's very difficult because there's no way to get airspeed.

The price on that Ruby seems not too bad though, like ~$300?

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
that video starts wide open in my hand,,,,,, why it looks weird at first..... There pretty nice. Plug and play for alot of common airframes