Multirotor landing ring

Quinton

We're in the same boat, gimbals are now so much lower that we've also done away with the retracts on the jib but the real trick seems to be finding ways to deal with our coaxials. Landing the flat jib in a frame is tricky but landing the bloody coaxials is far worse! Whatever happened to the small landing stubs on the downtube of the gimbal idea...

I bought these for the Movi, but I just couldn't get used to them at all as you had to quickly disable them or it would start to spin really fast on the ground with the momentum of the gimbal.
Saying that, landing was SO much easier with them than retracts.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• m5-1.jpg
    m5-1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 211
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 230

SMP, the guys at Gremsy are getting ready to start selling landing gear that mounts directly to the pan axis... Same basic idea as the cinestar 3 point gear only with 2 skids. It will rotate with the gimbal and would only take a minute to remove to use the gimbal with the handlebar. I'm looking forward to getting them in to see how they feel.

I'm thinking about fabricating something to work with my PH set... I've got a tube bender so I'll pick up some bar stock tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Re: Tripod landing gear connected to gimbal........ It is my understanding that, to set up Gimbal PID loop control properly, one has to suspend the MR is a sling so that the Yaw axis, i.e. landing gear and camera have to rotate freely so that one can tune it up properly for both heading and follow modes. And the yaw motor has to have enough torque to handle both the camera and the landing gear angular momentum.......

And when taking off or landing, one has to do it quickly as the MR airframe tends to rotate away from the intended heading...... Is there an easy way to activate the yaw motor once in the air or would that affect the Yaw axis gyro calibration?

Re: Tripod landing gear connected to gimbal........ It is my understanding that, to set up Gimbal PID loop control properly, one has to suspend the MR is a sling so that the Yaw axis, i.e. landing gear and camera have to rotate freely so that one can tune it up properly for both heading and follow modes. And the yaw motor has to have enough torque to handle both the camera and the landing gear angular momentum.......

And when taking off or landing, one has to do it quickly as the MR airframe tends to rotate away from the intended heading...... Is there an easy way to activate the yaw motor once in the air or would that affect the Yaw axis gyro calibration?

On the Gremsy I can turn gimbal motors off and switch between Follow and TX stick control. So I could just turn them off before touchdown.

So in the end.. I just pulled the stock skids from the PH retracts and replaced them with 3/16 aluminum rods that are right at 19 inches long. Plenty of clearance for the gimbal with 5D and should be fine with RED and C300. Instead of having a flat skid I added some plastic caps on the end of the rods and used snare wire through holes 2 inches from the ground to secure the legs together on each side and keep them from spreading under the weight of the jib. works like a freakin charm.. and no more landing ring best of all. In the event I go coax Ill just use the Gremsy landing gear instead. I may do that anyway depending on how much weight they save me.