Strange WKM behaviour FW 5.20

Althought 5.2 fw seems to work perfectly when there is no wind or a stable breeze, my MR surges very hard in gusty winds (less than 12 mph). When testing RTH..... the MR can regain altitude multiple times and will take a very long time to come down.... then when it lands itself with my RC throttle left off.... it can leave the ground multiple times......... WKM Assistant is 1.36. My MR is the RCT800 c/w Turnigy Multistar 420KV motors and carbon fiber 15 x 5.5 props...... Payload is a GoPro3 black on an RCT brushless gimbal with Martinez Arduino controller also have 5.8Ghz video downlink for FPV..... flying with 2 x 6S 5000 mah batteries with flight times of 15 minutes and more when hovering w/o wind.... some photos here. Note also the position of the IMU mounted in Zeal tape.....will move to the special anti-vibe mounting bracket later......should I go back to 5.16, leave as is or move forward to 5.22?View attachment 12485View attachment 12486:dread:

Attachments

• IMU tray.jpg
    IMU tray.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 432
  • Bumpers.jpg
    Bumpers.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 286
  • camera view.jpg
    camera view.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Anyone else with the RCT800 having these issues? Subsequent adjustments and test flight provide slightly improved results but the MR takes almost forever to land after RTH hovering over the takeoff location. Moved all landing gear weights closer to the center of the airframe.....ensured CofG is dead center on the MR airframe etc. I suspect the brushless gimbal is causing some IMU vibration but need to do more testing. Will remove camera and gimbal for next test.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I pretty much resolved this issue on my own. Moved the IMU down to the proper location on the DJI anti-vibe plate that comes with the anti-vibe kit. Then more carefully adjusted the x,y,z positioning and then more carefully adjusted the Basic and Attitude tuning. Finally recalibrated the GPS mag compass and also move all items suspended on the landing gear closer to the MR center which is the C of G. End result is a bird that flys home on RTH, hovers then gradually drops to the landing spot. But gusty winds make the landing delay considerably.