Pre Flight Checks

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I got inundated when I mentioned I would send a member our pre- flight check lists.

So here it is.. Any further suggestions would by pro operators out there would help every once else to do there best to ensure safe operation of their machine.

To add to this I also check IMU settings via the laptop before a days flying just to make sure everything is how it was, screen shots printed are always handy to have for a quick double check to make sure all switch operations and COG's and Gains are correct.

Dave

attachment.php

Efliernz

Pete
My camera operator reads out our checks to me - and nags if she thinks I've glanced over something! They are attached to her Tx carry handle.

Pete

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
What may seem to be a nag can sometimes turn out to be a flight saver, Its aleways good to have a second pair of eyes to give you a reminder especially when there is pressure on. One thing I forgot to mention is crowd control. Its often taken care of by my assistant but sometimes when flying solo you just have to be plain rood when joe blogs starts talking in you ear hole!

Dave

Efliernz

Pete
What may seem to be a nag can sometimes turn out to be a flight saver, Its aleways good to have a second pair of eyes to give you a reminder especially when there is pressure on. One thing I forgot to mention is crowd control. Its often taken care of by my assistant but sometimes when flying solo you just have to be plain rood when joe blogs starts talking in you ear hole!

Dave

Nagging can be good. The nagger might be waving a bee of my nose 2 minutes later, watching for idiots while shooting the camera.

We have enough bright jackets for 4 peeps if required and a heap of cones. The daughter has been dragged into it a few times as a grumpy assistant (no training required), especially when flying off a pavement/sidewalk.
We don't stop traffic. Traffic management requires a "traffic management plan"... traffic observing doesn't! I have "quietly" hovered at 30' waiting for the bus to pass a few times - the road was the only clear takeoff point due to heavy tree cover.
I have needed the observer to talk nicely to a car with curious people - can they move on please... I need to land (where they parked)!

All part of the fun.

Pete

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
:tennis:

Yep Fun and enjoying what you do is the way to look at it, safety is a natural part of the passion for flying these rigs, with out the passion safety is compromised.

Dave

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Thank you Dave. Great topic (although it is called pre FIGHT checks!).

Any idea what the likely changes in the law this August are going to be? I've almost put together an operations manual and hoped the law wouldn't change too much as regards to airworthiness (I'm under 7kg) or such.

Cheers Big Ears!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dohhh! Amended. Pre Flight Checks!

As far as the new cap722 we will all have to wait and see..! Personally I only think it will get tougher to get permissions for aerial work.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

BatCam

RPAS Pilot
Thanks for posting this Dave!
In the future it would be nice if there was a master safety checklist that is Aviation Approved in the relevant countries and help streamline certification processes and manage risks. Good to see what your doing.

Cheers,
Cam

Benjamin Kenobi

Dohhh! Amended. Pre Flight Checks!

As far as the new cap722 we will all have to wait and see..! Personally I only think it will get tougher to get permissions for aerial work.

Dave

Ah, good. Does that include actually getting your BNUC-S or just permission for certain jobs (thinking Xfactor kerfuffle here). Should I rush through the flight test before the change?

So sorry to hijack your thread! Your checklist set me off as I've just put together a bunch of them myself.

Thanks!

Benjamin Kenobi

Thanks for posting this Dave!
In the future it would be nice if there was a master safety checklist that is Aviation Approved in the relevant countries and help streamline certification processes and manage risks. Good to see what your doing.

Cheers,
Cam

The checklist Dave has posted is an example of a UK approved one. Mine look very similar but with check boxes next to them. The CAA have example ones for the UK on their website.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ah, good. Does that include actually getting your BNUC-S or just permission for certain jobs (thinking Xfactor kerfuffle here).

I am guessing it will be much harder after august to get permissions for aerial work in UK, OM's will need to be spot on and the craft may need air worthiness certs.

The Guy on the Xfactor shoot was actually commended by the CAA for his actions getting the craft away from the crowd. We will have to wait until the full report is released to find out what if anything the pilot did wrong.

Personally I think the flight test needs to be much harder with more on craft knowledge and a full demonstration of what the craft is capable of especially waypoint/POI/ and any other modes that will be used. Also caperbility of getting the craft home in an emergency without the reliance on GPS and RTH functions. But hay now I am hijacking the thread!

Dave

Teamflail

Thanks for the checklist Dave. Was starting to put one together but this will work perfectly. As a pilot, I figured I would need a checklist as we use them in aviation for everything. Cheers!!