2.4Ghz Control and FPV

camerart

Hi,

I'm new to RC flying.

I have an old 35Mhz control transmitter, and bought a 2.4Ghz 'Immersion' FPV transmitter and 'Video sender' receiver and small monitor. It might seem the wrong order, but then I made my first T-copter, and soon realised I needed a new up to date Control TX, so I bought a 2.4Ghz Spektrum DX8.

As it is not advised to have both transmitters on similar frequencies, I'm wondering what I might expect. Today I did a test. I put both 2.4Ghz transmitters on an electric car. The car has a little brushed motor driving it. The screen flickered a bit, and I tried moving the antennas, to find the best orientation. The car reached about 100Mtrs before the screen and control failed. This was with simple antennas, and the 2X transmitters about 8 inches apart on the car. I haven't quite understood DSMX yet, but I'm pretty sure it might set-up better, if the FPV transmitter was switched on first, but the way I wired it up meant I turned the DX8 on first, then all of the car electrics.

I haven't tried the FPV in the air yet, which might help results.

Sorry for a long question.

Can anyone, advise me on which is the best way forward.

Cheers, Camerart.

Hi Camerart, I do not use Immersion EZuhf or dragonlink systems but have a look at both to overcome your frequency conflict problem. 2.4 for FPV is a good frequency to use, all you need to do is add UHF to your RC radio system and your ready to go. Also get Circular Polarized Antenna
regards - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
you either need to sell the 2.4 video gear and switch over to 5.8 or get ezuhf control for the dx8. it's a rock solid link that makes you confident your not gonna loose rc control and have a really solid video feed sticking with 2.4 as your video frequency

camerart

you either need to sell the 2.4 video gear and switch over to 5.8 or get ezuhf control for the dx8. it's a rock solid link that makes you confident your not gonna loose rc control and have a really solid video feed sticking with 2.4 as your video frequency

Thats interesting, I've never heard of it before. Thanks

Camerart.

kloner

Aerial DP
this is that setup in a zephyr, only show the plane cause it has an osd, bottom left is the 433 ezuhf radio signal strength indicator.... and obviously the video signal is seen, distance is in feet

my multirotor has alot less range, mile and a half going and coming would be alot but this setup does it feet off the ground without thinking about the rig loosing any signal.

same freq/parts on a multirotor

good stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

camerart

my multirotor has alot less range, mile and a half going and coming would be alot but this setup does it feet off the ground without thinking about the rig loosing any signal.

same freq/parts on a multirotor

What do these bits mean please? 'mile and a 1/2 going and coming' and 'this setup does it feet off the ground' .

Cheers, Camerart.

kloner

Aerial DP
I can only get a mile and a half away before i start hitting half way on my batteries and gotta come home.

this combination of frequencies gives killer results. I picked it up from Team Blacksheep and just use what they do for the most part. you can be miles away and fly feet off the ground with virtualy no loss in reception, a little trees, bush, rocks, dirt don't make much difference. 2.4 rc control and 5.8 video can drop out 1/4 mile to a mile depending on the build, ezuhf on 433 for rc control and 2.4 for video kicks butt, works on anything and goes miles or as far as your balls take you.

When you get this far into fpv you need these kinds of parts, your screwed, your addicted and theres no going back.

camerart

I can only get a mile and a half away before i start hitting half way on my batteries and gotta come home.

this combination of frequencies gives killer results. I picked it up from Team Blacksheep and just use what they do for the most part. you can be miles away and fly feet off the ground with virtualy no loss in reception, a little trees, bush, rocks, dirt don't make much difference. 2.4 rc control and 5.8 video can drop out 1/4 mile to a mile depending on the build, ezuhf on 433 for rc control and 2.4 for video kicks butt, works on anything and goes miles or as far as your balls take you.

When you get this far into fpv you need these kinds of parts, your screwed, your addicted and theres no going back.

Thanks, that cleared it up for me.

I wonder! The DX8 has DSMX and frequency hopping. Does adding this module remove this, should I simply have bought a cheaper transmitter?

Cheers, Camerart.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes it does replace it. the controller is alot more than transmitting, it has mixing, tuning features and all kinds of model memory. i like the futaba 8j, it has enough features then matched with a $300 long range transmitter = i don't have to worry about fail safing much

camerart

yes it does replace it. the controller is alot more than transmitting, it has mixing, tuning features and all kinds of model memory. i like the futaba 8j, it has enough features then matched with a $300 long range transmitter = i don't have to worry about fail safing much

Ok, thanks.

I just need to know if it's legal here in UK.

Cheers, Camerart.