Arggggh! Camera Stop recording

JLO

Has anyone had cameras stop recording randomly in the middle of the shot?
I was flying today testing some gimbal settings with a Sony NEX 6 and in the middle of the flight the camera stop recording, then just as I lifted on a second flight the same, Stop recording, the ovious was ok!
fresh camera battery
fresh SD card that I had use before
I was also testing a new IR camera trigger that work nicely
this also happened in the past with a GH2 that I had
what could it be could the IR on the camera be influenced by near by cell phones IR devices near by
what do you guys think?
thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
wonder if light hits that led and prisms in to trigger the camera. what brand shutter trigger?

we had a camera stop once in the weirdest scenario, the golf course ceo wanted us to rise on a SD chargers house, when i did the camera stopped approaching his house. We figured it was some anti papparazi something in there

JLO

I was using one of the shutter cable from RC Shutter I place it right next to the IR of the camera it works great on a 3 position switch middle is off, up is trigger for stills, down is trigger for video, pretty straight forward, and you know there is so much thats got to be right before you take of only realize latter that the camera stop recording somewhere in the flight and ruin the shot and the flight so frustrating it is, I got to figure this out its a big deal, specially on paid jobs or important locations, I will email RC shutter and see if he has any idea why this happens, here are some ideas of mine, some crazy but I have to find the solution of course I will do more tests,
could it be smart cel phones in proximity to the copter,
could it be IR devices from nearby houses
could it be car radar detectors near by
could it be vibrations from the copter
could it be the heat from the sun
could it be ???? :dejection:View attachment 12372

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 323

ZAxis

If you're using an HDMI converter, check the plug into the camera is secure and making good contact. We experienced recording stopping in flight due to this with our NEX5.

andy

Electro 2

"the IR on the camera be influenced by near by cell phones IR devices near by
what do you guys think?"

Not. IR links of all sorts don't travel well in daylight without special projectors with precise aiming (parabolic). It's some other issue. Could be any one of a zillion things.

JLO

I did try to make it fail by wiggling and disconnecting the HDMI cables nothing the camera kept on going someone on another forum suggested that the sun could affect the IR it has some sense to it after all the sun transmits IR and down here in florida we have too much of it and its very hot, I will do some test by covering the trigger bulb with something black if you notice the bulb has like a magnify glass on the tip what do you guys think of this?
View attachment 12373

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 246

Esben

The NEX cams has an issue with remote via IR while using HDMI, especially video start/stop. We tried hard to fix this with our remote (StratoSnapper2), and even contacted Sony. It seems to be a firmware issue, but I guess the FPV crowd is not really heavyweight enough :) Anyways things go wrong with the HDMI/IR combination...

Best
Esben

Esben

I think it was the NEX5 we battled with. Our issue and some of our users reported that video start/stop wouldn't work while connected to HDMI. But to be fair I haven't checked if newer versions of the firmware or the NEX7 has the same issue. I just wanted to give the heads up, it could be a firmware thing. We found the same issue when using a Sony brand remote, and not just the StratoSnapper2.

Best
Esben

JLO

OK I cover the IR bulb and the IR camera window with velcro like a dark cocoon flew this afternoon and so far so good the trigger work fine and it did not shut the camera off it was later in the day I will try again with full sun tomorrow
Esben when you had issues did others had the a similar problem with the NEX cam and trigger and HDMI ?

thanks

Zeke

As a note from me... I had a similar problem with my GoPro Hero 3 Black where it would stop recording anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes in, the problem was the MicroSD cards I purchased off Ebay must've been a false class 10 (despite the class 10 on the card) so it would stop recording when the camera couldn't keep up writing it.