Need a little help with my Phantom

iceman17

Well I finally got my Phantom airborne today and it flew great, that is until I accidentally hit a tree due to a wind gust in Atti mode and lost two landing gear leg screws, good thing DJI included extras. Everything on my Phantom is stock. I managed to download the new firmware to 3.12 and noticed that the GPS location settings for the X Y Z were all at zero the same as the original firmware, I left the settings as is and flew it around the yard and all worked fine. I will be adding my Gopro hero2 and using the factory Gopro case mounted upside down on the Phantom as im still learning and want the extra protection the full case provides for the camera. My question is will I have to change the Z setting in Naza assistant to some negative value since the CG will be different with the camera mounted or do I just leave the value of zero intact. With my F550 I could measure the distance but with the Phantom I cant see where the GPS is located inside the body to do this. Anybody out there with a Gopro hero2 mounted under their Phantom with the stock Gopro case want to share their Z setting number with me it would sure be appreciated. Thanks..........Mike.

GmeisteR

I'm not sure this will help you or not but I have a hero 3 mounted under mine and I also use the stock mounting for the added protection for my gopro, and I didnt change any values and it flies great. Just remember to calibrate your phantom since you did crash it, as it will prolly drift while hovering in GPS mode. If this doesn't work ill check back on this thread and hook my phantom up as I need to recalibrate mine due to a little drifting while hovering as well.

iceman17

Thanks for the reply GmeisteR, I will defiantly recalibrate mine, that's a great idea that I might have forgotten to do but will now for sure. I will fly mine tomorrow and leave the settings as is for the Z axis and see how it performs for me, I will keep it low for the first couple of packs. I think I will be purchasing some of those rotor guards for mine because on my first take off the Phantom wanted to tip over until I gave it more throttle. The take off on my F550 seems a little smoother for me.

Burntpixel

I fly both the original and new Hero3 Gopro without any adjustment to my XYZ settings. If you updated to DJI Firmware VER.3.12 you will notice the throttle acts differently during take-off. It is more automatic in feeling. DJI Firmware VER3.12 appears to enhance Course and Home lock capabilities.

Be sure when you update to do an "Advanced" IMU recalibration instead of the "Basic" Advanced takes a few more minutes,but does a more thorough job. Do make sure AFTER you have done both the upgrade and "Advanced" calibration, also do the "Default Parameters Calibration". It is important. I really had a little issue with DJI Firmware VER.3.12 so down converted back to VER.3.10

The GPS lock seems to work better in my area and I have better manuel throttle control during take-off.

Have fun!:nevreness:

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman17

Thanks for the info Burntpixel I will keep the XYZ as is. I did do an advanced calibration as things got a little messed up when the tree jumped in front of the Phantom. Im not sure what you mean by the Default parameters calibration though, do you mean the gain settings or did I miss something. I had a look at your lens test using the Sunex lens with polarizer filter, I sure liked the look of that over the stock set up. I also have a Flame wheel F550 do you know if I can use the same Naza assistant V2.2 with that as well. Looks like you live in a very nice area.

Burntpixel

Thanks for the info Burntpixel I will keep the XYZ as is. I did do an advanced calibration as things got a little messed up when the tree jumped in front of the Phantom. Im not sure what you mean by the Default parameters calibration though, do you mean the gain settings or did I miss something. I had a look at your lens test using the Sunex lens with polarizer filter, I sure liked the look of that over the stock set up. I also have a Flame wheel F550 do you know if I can use the same Naza assistant V2.2 with that as well. Looks like you live in a very nice area.

Thanks iceman. When you are on your "TOOLS" page of 2.12 assistant,you will ,too your far left see 3 boxes. The last box says Import "Default Parameters Configuration" That file will be located in the Phantom downloads section at the DJI main site as a ZIP file. Download it before you click on the "Default Parameters Configuration" box. Then click on it once you have downloaded it and it will import into the Phantom. If you do not do this,the Phantom will wander all over the place even in GPS mode.

As to my area being nice? Well it is green.

iceman17

I just finished restoring the default parameters, thanks for that great bit of info I feel better now knowing that all is right again. I did have to re do the compass calibration and now if the winds stay down I can take it up tomorrow for the first time with the Gopro. My place is very green right now as well problem is its 20 acres and I have approx. 15 acres of green grass to mow every week, when the green ends we get 6 to 7 months of snow so it all turns white and stays that way till spring. It's during the long cold winters that I would love to live in a place like Georgia. Take care and thanks again for the help. This is the first day of spring at my place

Burntpixel

I just finished restoring the default parameters, thanks for that great bit of info I feel better now knowing that all is right again. I did have to re do the compass calibration and now if the winds stay down I can take it up tomorrow for the first time with the Gopro. My place is very green right now as well problem is its 20 acres and I have approx. 15 acres of green grass to mow every week, when the green ends we get 6 to 7 months of snow so it all turns white and stays that way till spring. It's during the long cold winters that I would love to live in a place like Georgia. Take care and thanks again for the help. This is the first day of spring at my place

Sir,that is not snow. Thats a glacier! My cabin fever would have cabin fever if I lived that long without bright sunny days. As I look at the video it looks like you have some really nice flat open area,s to fly. I bet you get a very good SAT lock also. As you are hard mounting that GoPro of yours,I would,if it is a Hero3 version set it to 1080p 60Frames per second and turn on Protune.

Use GoPro,s free Cineform Studio edit program to do a little color correction and sharpening. Then covert the footage to play on a 30 frames per second time line! 60fps really smooths out the image. 48 fps looks very nice also.

iceman17

Thanks again GmeisteR that does help, I really want to try it out today but it is a little to windy for my lack of experience, hopefully tomorrow.

GmeisteR

BE CAREFUL this crap just flipped my phantom onto the concrete...I'm currently searching for a way to revert back to the 3.10....

Burntpixel

BE CAREFUL this crap just flipped my phantom onto the concrete...I'm currently searching for a way to revert back to the 3.10....

Here is the procedure to REVERT to 3.10. Another poster on another site helped me revert to 3.10 with this. Once you do this BE SURE TO IMPORT "DEFAULT PARAMETERS CONFIGURATION". This may be your problem. Did you do this? If not the Phantom in VER 3.12 will Kamikaze on you until you are driven mad with rage!:highly_amused:

I reverted back to VER 3.10 and am glad I did. VER 3.12 did weird things with the throttle up on take-off. That and I swear the GPS lock is not as accurate as in VER 3.10:disgust:

Here are the instructions to downgrade back to the original firmware...
1. Start the NAZA Assistant, go to Upgrade
2. Click on the blue text (No updates) next to Firmware e.g. 3.1 in the assistant under info. A pop-up box will appear.
3. Type the word 'door' there is no need to put your cursor anywhere, just type that word and another box will pop up.
4. Type 'test' for the user name and '125' for the password.
5. Follow the remaining instructions to 'upgrade' (in fact it's a downgrade) and the NAZA will be reverted.
6. After the progress bar is done, power cycle the Phantom.
7. Do a software compass re-calibration and when done, follow this by a manual compass calibration

J.James

Here is the procedure to REVERT to 3.10. Another poster on another site helped me revert to 3.10 with this. Once you do this BE SURE TO IMPORT "DEFAULT PARAMETERS CONFIGURATION". This may be your problem. Did you do this? If not the Phantom in VER 3.12 will Kamikaze on you until you are driven mad with rage!:highly_amused:

I reverted back to VER 3.10 and am glad I did. VER 3.12 did weird things with the throttle up on take-off. That and I swear the GPS lock is not as accurate as in VER 3.10:disgust:

I was having the same problems with my FC40. drifting lie crazy and with no rhyme or reason to it just drifting around up down forward and back even in gps mode in the slightest breeze it would wander as far as 20 feet around and even as much as 10 feet in altitude. when ever trying to hover near the ground. I tried every thing I could find trying the search the internet and that's how I found this post and forum.

I trued to do the firmware down grade using the above instructions and it went in fine but then the naza assistant soft ware would not work and it keep saying I had to install the latest firmware and would not let me do any thing with out getting the window telling me I had to up grade So back in went the latest version and all the default parameters again then had to set every thing how I wanted it again and still the same flaky wandering was happening. Even tho I did the calibration dance many times and the advanced calibration in the naza assistant. Still the same then I seen a video on how to fix a way off compass using a magnet. Sens my mod values were a lil bit high. That helped some tho at first it messed it up way more then it was. But it took me over an hours to get it back down to just below were I was on the mod values before I messed with it. That made it hover a tiny bit 'better" but not much. But then I decided to actually do some higher flying over the tree tops and get out of my confort zone of the back yard. When I got up over about 100 feet it was rock steady. It dint seem to move more then a few inches. :) It just sat there and hovered right were I would leave it. So i think I just must of been getting interference down by the ground and not getting as many GPS satellites locked in. Due to the trees and surrounding buildings blocking some of them