FPV set-up works inside but not outside ... wtf?

linter

Can somebody explain this? My buddy's FPV set up works great inside, but the moment he steps outside, the monitor screen goes blank. He's using a TS351 TX on his quad -- http://helidirect.com/ts351-58ghz-200mw-av-wireless-transmitter-p-27970.hdx -- and we've tried it with both my immersion RX and his matching boscom RX. We can be standing at the door to my house and if he takes four steps outside, the monitor screen first turns green, then goes dark. If I go outside with him or we both start outside, we get the same results. But inside the house, the set up works great. This has happened at his house and my house. It's happened with two different monitors that both work fine with my Fatshark TX.

It's very frustrating for him, as you can imagine, to have everything work at home, then go out to the field and get nada, zip, squat on his monitor.

Any ideas how to fix this?

kloner

Aerial DP
his monitor is most likely not up to the task of an analog signal. the ones that don't "green screen" would be the ones you want

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I can vouch that this is most likely the problem as I had a very similar thing happen. If not its a power issue. I was testing using a 12v transformer but it didnt have the juice to power the vtx properly.

linter

Well, in fact, it's not his monitor that green screens but mine -- the Foxtech that you once had :) and I don't think they're supposed to do that, are they? In any event, the indoor/outdoor issue *only* occurs with his TX. My Fatshark TX works perfectly with both monitors. Wouldn't this lead you to think that the issue is with his TX? And why would it happen outdoors and not indoors?

Electro 2

Simple, external on-channel interference. Shielded/attenuated inside the house, full-bore outside the house. Coming from somewhere else outside the house. Switch channels/bands.