Team BlackSheep arrested in Italy.

nicwilke

I have thought about that since watching a scale MIG jet do 200 od MPH over the local club flight line. With all the long range TX equipment and Video/waypoint capability there is potential for a 30/40 mile strike
range.. bloody scary really but guess HLS and the like have all that covered... dont they!

Very scary. Imagine what those Kopterworx guys could transport in explosives with thier heavy lifters? 25kg of destruction. I truly believe that we will see our hobby and industry filter into the wrong hands. There's a first for everything, and TBS are assisting in showcasing how you can use a remotely piloted vehicle to enter a crime scene. Like you said Dave, where next? PENTAGON?

nicwilke

For some flying areas, it is simply a safety concern. Throw in a bit of "social concience" too...

I was contacted by my local paper last week and asked if I would fly a gopro at 20-50' over the local Agricultural Fieldays Event (the largest of its kind in the southern hemispere). They wanted a pass over the middle of the outdoor exhibition area with 200,000 people underneath.

The site is 1.5Km from an airport so there is that side that makes it illegal to start with (altho I would need to just clear it with them)- add the helicopters doing joy-rides from the edge of the exhibition area... I simply said that it would look absolutely brilliant, I could fly my DW hexa fpv for a 500 meter continuous pass but liabilty and safety wise, it was absolutel madness to fly over a crowd like that.

He asked if I was concerned about my machine crashing. I said that during normal flying (not new firware shake-down flights) I had not had a malfunction - but it is full of electronics. How often has his Canon 1DX DSLR suddenly come up with a error code mid shooting. He says "only once". I said that that I didn't want my "only once" event to be over 200,000 people! He nodded and thank me for showing concern and having a concience... and he will contact me again if the situation is more suitable. I'm happy with that.

Pete

Sensible. I hope no one else took up the gig. For every job I turn down through word of mouth, there's literally a cowboy who will take it on. They aren't certified.

Efliernz

Pete
Sensible. I hope no one else took up the gig. For every job I turn down through word of mouth, there's literally a cowboy who will take it on. They aren't certified.

Certification... not me either at the moment. That is why nearly every shoot I do at the moment is from a C172 (with a commercial charter pilot). I am shooting larger developments and road construction so a C172 is the right solution anyway. No OSH paperwork!
I used to fly 25 years ago... I am about to start doing the shooting from the left seat and combining training with charter. Add the exams in a few months... I suspect certification isn't far away "just in case" ;)

Pete

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Not really, a group delivered some jet aircraft some time back into a couple of buildings and I see that jet aircraft have not slowed down a lot.

dazzab

Not really, a group delivered some jet aircraft some time back into a couple of buildings and I see that jet aircraft have not slowed down a lot.
Have you tried getting on one lately? Believe me, things have definitely slowed down.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
For some flying areas, it is simply a safety concern. Throw in a bit of "social concience" too...

I was contacted by my local paper last week and asked if I would fly a gopro at 20-50' over the local Agricultural Fieldays Event (the largest of its kind in the southern hemispere). They wanted a pass over the middle of the outdoor exhibition area with 200,000 people underneath.

The site is 1.5Km from an airport so there is that side that makes it illegal to start with (altho I would need to just clear it with them)- add the helicopters doing joy-rides from the edge of the exhibition area... I simply said that it would look absolutely brilliant, I could fly my DW hexa fpv for a 500 meter continuous pass but liabilty and safety wise, it was absolutel madness to fly over a crowd like that.

He asked if I was concerned about my machine crashing. I said that during normal flying (not new firware shake-down flights) I had not had a malfunction - but it is full of electronics. How often has his Canon 1DX DSLR suddenly come up with a error code mid shooting. He says "only once". I said that that I didn't want my "only once" event to be over 200,000 people! He nodded and thank me for showing concern and having a concience... and he will contact me again if the situation is more suitable. I'm happy with that.

Pete

Just a sidebar here but... anybody think an RC Paraglider with a camera on it would be safe to get video like this? I think it would be pretty reasonable?

Efliernz

Pete
Just a sidebar here but... anybody think an RC Paraglider with a camera on it would be safe to get video like this? I think it would be pretty reasonable?

You just might have something here... but liability concerns will always have some impact on flying over people.

JLO

Hi to all I understand all concern here I guess one thing that really worries me is the hundreds of dumb inefficient politicians with narrow common sense, narrow objectivity on things, and a very real hunger and need to score some legislation wins for them selfs, top with sensational dumb news reporting making the, (as they like to call them) "drones" an EVIL thing, only for their raitings, thats what worries me. look if some one wants to harm people or property there are so many ways crazy stupid dudes are going to try to do harm. so now just because of the Boston tragedy are we all ban from owning and coking our favorite black beans or lentils etc in a pressure cooker?

hoggdoc

New-Bee
Yes my question too. It's not like the wreck is a secret. This whole Unmanned thing is out of control, considering with all the activity world-wide I have not heard of any General or Commercial Aircraft being affected buy a model flying in the FPV mode.

I get hassled all the time when out photographing in the area, "you can't take pictures here, it's private property" that kind of thing. It's just paranoia at its best. Ever since 911 its been this way, like a bad guy is going to stand in board daylight with all his equipment to grab a photo of a target, give me a break.

Too much about nothing in my book, but have to agree with the comments that Black-Sheep is commercially motivated with their videos, a totally different thing than someone being hired to do a specific video of the owners property for instances.

HD