5.22, upgrade or not?

Tomstoy2

It's been out awhile now, not heard too much sqawk about it at all? This could either be a good thing, or a bad thing. So which is it? Normally, I would just stick with 5.16, which has been flying perfect for me. However, I've upgraded my vtx to 600mw and don't want to out-fly my Futaba range, so my thought is if she fly's fine with an old white imu, which mine is, then the ability to set the flight distance would be a big plus. In the past, been unsuccessful a few times with other updates, so naturally skeptical. My craft is a X/A Hexa, and a fat pig at that, carrying 2 5000mah 4s batterys, a cheap crappy gimbal and GP2 and the fpv gear. What's your experience?

ChrisViperM

A lot of guys have settled for 5.16 since it gives you leat headache, and the additional "features" are not worth to upgrade if the rig is flying ok. I guess it's a different story if you upgrade to IMU v2 (I will, and I hate it) and use the Bluetooth-LED.

....maybe they come up with a FW 5.16 v2 :tennis:

Chris

Tomstoy2

I hate to mess with something that isn't broke. At another forum I asked this same question, one guy reported back that it's flying great for him. He fly's all indoors, though, which tells me no gps. His most positive observation was that it cured a climbing issue he had.

Dewster

I haven't upgraded yet. I can't even remember what version I'm on now. I have RTH, IOC, and Home Lock which is enough for me. I did download the iOS app for the blue tooth module (whenever it comes out...), and will,up grade then.

I like the idea of being able to set a limitation on height or distance. I don't know if I'll use it though.

Im interested in what the IMU V2 will bring to the table. My old WKM works for me with no issues. My curiosity may get the best of me. I hope it works with the old GPS module.

I am happy with 5.18 for now and works with the original IMU.
Pilots concerned about public safety should take advantage of these new height and distance restriction "SAFETY" features.
In the event of a radio and RTH failure, the built in height and distance restrictions might prevent your fly-away bird from entering restricted airspace.
Also it should reduce your search radius if your MR goes down.

I will upgrade to 5.22 but not before the new Bluetooth PMU becomes available.
That device enables the pilot to simultaneously and remotely control MR gains and gimbal control (gains from your IPhone and Gimbal from your RC transmitter)

I am not sure at which point one has to implement v2 of the IMU but that sounds more costly.

Tahoe Ed

I am with v 5.22 with the BT-LED on a S800. It works fine for me. Several have posted the same. There are so many different set ups I am no longer going to recommend any upgrade to anyone. Fly what works for you.

Tomstoy2

Might as well do it,,, I guess. Got a bl gimbal on preorder, so it'll need to spend time testing,,, again.

rcmike

I upgraded to 5.22 and the RTH didn't work. I read on rc groups about someone else having that problem also. I went back to 5.20 and everything works fine again.

VINHEX

I'm on 5.20 Tom and all working cool.. I usually upgrade when they come out but holding on this one for a little while..

Andy T

If you ask RTRYDER, I think he might have the 5.18 file saved...or check his posts...?

Maverick.

Thanks I will do a search for RTRYDER. I bought some MoonGel to put under my IMU so maybe that will take care of my white flashes and I won't need to revert back to 5.18 to see if that fixes the problem.

Andy

xerofly

A lot of guys have settled for 5.16 since it gives you leat headache, and the additional "features" are not worth to upgrade if the rig is flying ok. I guess it's a different story if you upgrade to IMU v2 (I will, and I hate it) and use the Bluetooth-LED.

....maybe they come up with a FW 5.16 v2 :tennis:

Chris

Hi,
Iam having drop in height with GPS Position lock...version is 5.2....I am not using any other options...

cheers