octo 1000 mm - wkm looking for some gain and IMU measurments

jhardway

I have a tarrot 1000 frame with Tiger Navigator series 330KV, 14 inch graupner props . Nothing underneath the copter like a gimbal for weight. I am interested in hearing what people out there my be doing for numbers like over all gains, IMU z numbers and IMU placement.

When I took it off for the first flight I could get it to level off but any movement where send it into some oscillating states (sometimes pretty aggravated). I am trying figure out why.

There is no gimbal under it yet so with the battery on the top I feel the C.G. might be off, I have starting to play with those number where I brought the C.G up but that seem to make things worst so my next step there is to bring it back down but further then it was before.

I also have the pitch and roll gains on a slider ranging from 180 to 300, I can see changes but over all that is not cutting it, my best tuning seemed to come in around 210 210 180 160.

I once I get through this testing phase I also am thinking of putting 14inch APC prop on it

any ideas please chirp in I would like to figure it out.

thanks Jack

jhardway

Just to correct what may be going on (me Dumb Dumb) I went over my setup testing and one of the things I remember I forgot to do it was re calibrate the digital compass (horizontal 360, vertical 360). I had this controller on a hexa but coming over to this frame, I moved the GPS forward by 12cm and the IMU over by a -3cm, even thought I filled in those values in the software set up.

I believe not doing the physical calibration may be part or all of the cause of the Osculation I am seeing. Vid coming.

cheers all

jhardway

here's the vid

This is the actual first lift off, however looking at it, the Oscillation is worst then what seems here. the vid is short and during the real Oscillation testing I was not rolling, you can see a glimpse of what I am talking about for a short time right around the 23 second area.

if anyone has had this issue related to a calibration problem or in general I would like to hear what you did to correct it. Its windy here for the next few days so I do not think I will get it until it front passes.

if the vid is not there I its just processing and will be shortly.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Don't go by the recommended gains in the manual that suggest something the size of an S800 setup with camera should be over 200. We used those on an octo Droidworx heavy lift and it was way to high - crashed.

Michael64

Yes you should recalibate your GPS for sure but, was this in GPS mode or Atti mode. Also on mine I have the same motors but carbon 14" props and my number are real close to yours but my yaw is at 135 on mine 180 would not work on mine.The problem you could be have MAYBE is to light of disc loading the WKM does not like light disc loading at. I would lower the the yaw and some dummy weight to it try it again. I would at least add 2 lbs of weight. You a machine with lots of power to weight so thsi this could be the consist correction you are seeing. Now that said if its in GPS mode than the numbers for the position could be the cause from the WKM.

Hope some of this may help. Let me know your progress and good luck.

Michael64

I have a tarrot 1000 frame with Tiger Navigator series 330KV, 14 inch graupner props . Nothing underneath the copter like a gimbal for weight. I am interested in hearing what people out there my be doing for numbers like over all gains, IMU z numbers and IMU placement.

When I took it off for the first flight I could get it to level off but any movement where send it into some oscillating states (sometimes pretty aggravated). I am trying figure out why.

There is no gimbal under it yet so with the battery on the top I feel the C.G. might be off, I have starting to play with those number where I brought the C.G up but that seem to make things worst so my next step there is to bring it back down but further then it was before.

I also have the pitch and roll gains on a slider ranging from 180 to 300, I can see changes but over all that is not cutting it, my best tuning seemed to come in around 210 210 180 160.

I once I get through this testing phase I also am thinking of putting 14inch APC prop on it

any ideas please chirp in I would like to figure it out.

thanks Jack

jhardway

Update, I have not done much other then re calibrate my GPS but it did not change anything. My next step tomorrow or wednesday is to drop the gains way down. In the tuning guide when you have the gains on a slider they mention you keep bringing them up until Oscillation starts then back it down, I am now going to set my gain pitch and roll slider to cover the range from 100 to 170 and see where that leaves me.

Will keep posted

janoots2

Update, I have not done much other then re calibrate my GPS but it did not change anything. My next step tomorrow or wednesday is to drop the gains way down. In the tuning guide when you have the gains on a slider they mention you keep bringing them up until Oscillation starts then back it down, I am now going to set my gain pitch and roll slider to cover the range from 100 to 170 and see where that leaves me.

Will keep posted

I typically set the pitch and roll to the same remote gain. Increase it until you get oscillation when you hit the sticks and let them go, then back it down a little until no oscillation.
Then I set the attitude to remote gain, and dial that in remotely. Once you get these values close, then fine tune again remotely.
To me it looks like your attitude is high in the video because it looks nervous. Hard to tell though.

Anxious to see what you come up, I just powered up my 1000mm AGL UAP2 Octo w/ WKM last night. Getting close to lift off as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhardway

Probalmo Solved. As talked about the motor head speeds/prop speeds were spinning to slow. So I strapped a 5lbs on the bottom of it, enough weight to simulate what the copter could be if I loaded up another battery, camera, gimbal, and a little more.

I am pleased to say it flew great, I had a little wind but not anything to worry about in how well the copter was flying.

Takeoff weight was just under 15lbs, I flew it with one 5300 (6s) battery, Flight time ended up being 5 1/2 min before I landed. I never hit the 21volt threshold, and when I charged the battery it ended up taking in 3950 mha.

My p/r gains ended up around 150, the only thing I have to do is bring up the yawl gain, even though it flew well I still can see how adding it will make it that much better.

I am now off building out the gimbal, thanks for every ones time and suggestions, they where helpful in the trouble shooting side. If I get time over the next few days I will post vid.

Cheers Jack