Question: Canon S100 HDMI Live Output

HermanB

Hi Guys

I have been told on DPreview that the Canon Powershot S100 supports live video out via the HDMI port. I hope this is true!

I currently use the DJI Video RX/TX with my Gopro 3 to output live video to my laptop using a USB video adapter and it works brilliantly. The Gopro 3 connects to the DJI AV TX via a mini usb cable which my local provider joined to the DJI FPV TX wire. What must or can I do to use the same DJI AV TX RX components but instead of using the mini USB, use a mini HDMI instead?

This is still all very new to me so any assistance and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bowley

Herman, like most, if not all Canon cameras the S100 has the option of PAL/NTSC AV output, from the mini USB in this case. This is what would be best to use so you wont need to use a HDMI-Composite converter

HermanB

Hi Bowley

That would be first prize if I can get it to work! I have tried plugging in the mini usb AV cable (which works for the Gopro 3) into the S100 but no feed comes through? Although the plug is the same, do I need to do something differently to get it working for the S100?

Bowley

Yeah, if I remember correctly the canon mini usb is slightly different, I had the exact same problem. You should have got a usb to RCA AV cable with your camera. you will have to hack that up to fit your VTx. If you dont have one I'm sure you will find one at little cost. If you look carefully you can see a small protrusion on the usb connector of your camera and also the wiring must be different from a standard mini USB.
But apparently the canon is supposed to be a standard mini usb type B so not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

Another thing Herman.....the HDMI on my S95 is only for review, not live view. This may be the case with the S100 also. It will have to be composite for live view.

HermanB

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I sincerely appreciate it. I purchased a S100 via a an auction website here in South Africa so did not get the USB RCA cable you mention. I will purchase one though and experiment with using it for live video feed whilst using the CHDK intervalometer script. I really hope it will work. I will be sure to report back once I have gone through the process.

Again, many thanks!

Bowley

CHDK Intervalometer script works a treat.
This is really the only non-mechanical way to remote trigger as the USB is occupied for AV out, so cannot use GentwireUSB etc and have live view.
best of luck with it.