icharger 306b and what else?

linter

My has-more-money-than-me pal wants to be able to charge a few batteries at one time. i was thinking of the 306b icharger, which i believe kloner has and likes. i wa thinking he should maybe get this combo (when everything gets back in stock): http://www.progressiverc.com/the-solution-1000w-combo.html .what say ya'll seem good? will he be able to use DC power as well -- he really wants that -- and how many batteries could he chargd on DC at one time? thanks!

I am using the Quattro 4x6 Multicharger by HobbyKing. It has most features and will charge four batteries.
One feature that is missing: Battery internal resistance determination. I use a Hyperion charger for that or calculate manually.

It is powered by a Dell PowerEdge NPS700AB which I was able to get dirt cheap.
In anticipation of future needs, e.g., 4 larger batteries I ran a 2 pole 220VAC 40 amp circuit from my main distribution panel to a garage subpanel which splits back down to 120 VAC where I charge all batteries on the concrete floor. This arrangement can accomodate two PowerEdges if/when the need arises.

All done exactly to NEC/CEC code to remain safe and legal. Don't want to burn the house down.

kloner

Aerial DP
the 306b is a great little rig, i use the same dell server power supplies he is..... got the case from ebay for $50

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm also using the 306B and it's been very good so far. What case are you talking about Steve?

linter

I think kloner's talking about the pelican-clone carrying case he uses ....

my buddy doesn't want to multiple source stuff. he likes to buy ready-to-go. that being the case, could someone go look at the link above and let me know what you think?

thanks!

linter

thanks, steve, i will. meanwhile, could you have a looksee at my thread/question about 8" props for the suppos? double thanks. thanks thanks.

A 3s battery at near full charge is 12.6V; charging at 1C for a 4000mah battery is 4A, that means charging one battery requires 50.4watts to charge a 3s 4000mah at 1C. If you want to charge, say a nano-tech, at 5C, then you'd need a 250 watts supply for just one battery. Then doing 2 batteries would be 500 watts.
Keep two other things in mind:1) there is power loss through the supply, and the charger, so you'd want more than 500 for that case. 2) that is the current needed to maintain the 5C charge even when near fully charged.

Here's a good article I found on the subject.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-chargers.html