FreeFly's direct drive gimbal...

this might sound ignorant but why are the rumoured prices so high? Couldn't they just sell it for a similar price to there normal gimbal?
I see the other direct drive gimbals on the market now, (i know there for smaller cameras) and they are reasonably low cost. Why such a big price increase for brushless motors over servos?

nicwilke

this might sound ignorant but why are the rumoured prices so high? Couldn't they just sell it for a similar price to there normal gimbal?
I see the other direct drive gimbals on the market now, (i know there for smaller cameras) and they are reasonably low cost. Why such a big price increase for brushless motors over servos?
Its the boron/nitrogen compound filler in the sprectrophotometric converters. These things dont grow on trees you know.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm sure it aint cheap to develop these things. After all, if it isnt profitable, why bother? I agree their stuff is expensive but the beauty is you dont have to buy it.

3dheliguy

Gyro stabilized lenses of the future will cancel out most of the competition in the future anyways. I feel like freefly is trying the old and tried and true Apple business Model.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Does anyone know who developed the new FC? I am betting it is John C. If it is him it will be one very well thought out piece of kit.

modles

Nerdlinger

Attachments

• Marietta3a.JPG
    Marietta3a.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 245

xerofly

I would but no one want to speak about the Gyro used in the new gimbal released.....how would you justify the cost.....

Stacky

If they have used stepper motors then it is no surprise the cost is so high. Stepper motors have a high degree of resolution and are very expensive to make, often used in high precision medical instruments. I was under the impression the Zenmuse used stepper motors which is why they need 6s batteries to run them.

Also all you have to do is watch the new video from freefly and the cost is justified simply by that.

I would but no one want to speak about the Gyro used in the new gimbal released.....how would you justify the cost.....

modles

Nerdlinger
Na they aint stepper motors, brushless.

I might try knocking up a stepper motor solution to try, got a few high resolution ones kicking about. Advantage with them is lots of torque, but I doubt it will be that smooth.

B

Stacky

Thanks for that, I went and tried to find where I had been given the impression they were stepper motors but the link in that info is now broken.

SMP

Seems like the weight limit w Brushless has been about 1200 grams... If it isnt Steppers then this will be another Zenmuse displaced by Yuni scenario.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks for that, I went and tried to find where I had been given the impression they were stepper motors but the link in that info is now broken.

They are brushless motors...

"Description
Introducing a new multirotor 3-axis digital stabilized camera gimbal so advanced it redefines the possibilities for aerial camera movement. The heart of the gimbal is Freefly’s proprietary high performance IMU and brushless direct drive system. The gimbal is 100% custom designed in-house by our engineering team. No compromises were made to accommodate off-the-shelf brushless motors, motor drives or IMUs. Creating the gimbal from scratch allowed Freefly to precisely execute our vision for the next generation of stabilized camera gimbals. In creating this camera gimbal, we aim to empower a new era of stabilized aerial cinematography.

Additional Freefly MÔVI MR Features:

•Live wireless tuning & graphing
•Remote Firmware Updatable
•Drift Free Horizon
•Silent Drive
•Shot Recorder
•Custom Direct Drive Motors"

Ken

xerofly

Ohhhh. ....new IMU......Analog Devises Gyro 500 USD.....there are only half dozen manufactures of MEMS Gyro I mean manufacturer ...stepper motors....assume 500USD......I thought its a FOG Gyro or rate Gyro...Pl check all the sites for prices....In case I missed...Lets slice and dice it.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Thanks for that. Do you know if the Zenmuse is also brushless?

They are brushless motors...

"Description
Introducing a new multirotor 3-axis digital stabilized camera gimbal so advanced it redefines the possibilities for aerial camera movement. The heart of the gimbal is Freefly’s proprietary high performance IMU and brushless direct drive system. The gimbal is 100% custom designed in-house by our engineering team. No compromises were made to accommodate off-the-shelf brushless motors, motor drives or IMUs. Creating the gimbal from scratch allowed Freefly to precisely execute our vision for the next generation of stabilized camera gimbals. In creating this camera gimbal, we aim to empower a new era of stabilized aerial cinematography.

Additional Freefly MÔVI MR Features:

•Live wireless tuning & graphing
•Remote Firmware Updatable
•Drift Free Horizon
•Silent Drive
•Shot Recorder
•Custom Direct Drive Motors"

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
"DJI is going to release Zenmuse Gimbal for GoPro, which includes two models, respectively a 2-axis version and a 3-axis version. The 2-axis version supports pitch and roll stabilization control.FEATURES

• All aluminum alloy manufactured;
  • Brushless motor direct drive;
  • Based on the technology of Zenmuse Camera Types: support GoPro Hero 2 and GoPro hero3, do not need to purchase any additional accessories;
  • Support GoPro Hero 2 remote photos shooting and video shooting control."

I'd guess it is the same technology on the Z15, or whatever they call the nex/gh2 version.