3D printed brushless Gimbals - Info exchange

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Would you recommend them? If not, what would you recommend? I'm looking for some motors I can put more faith in. :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I use the becs from cattle creations. I must be honest I can't really say what the difference is between ubecs sbecs etc. Think there is a little marketing in it and the sbecs switching can take more sells and higher A output.

I just notice that it's important to give the driver board a constant V.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
looking go so far test will follow. Doent really matter for the TBS if the motor would be on the other side for the nick axis the FPV cam is still blocked have to look for a completely different spot.

View attachment 10987View attachment 10986

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 284
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 296

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
two motor setup seems to work in a small dimensions. Lets try it bigger :) Could double the power on the role axis ( if necessary) and make it even easier to create gimbals.

View attachment 11140View attachment 11141

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 365
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting you are doing to increase the weight. But two motors make more to fail. But I reeeealy hopes it works. But then to an thought of mine. What would it be if you just gear it up instead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2 motors on roll will be tricky!

A question.. Does it matter if the main alexmos board is not isolated from vibes? Are there any sensors on it? or only on the breakout board? Thanks

One motor might end up fighting the other motor. A bearing on one side and a larger motor on the other could be more efficient.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
One motor might end up fighting the other motor. A bearing on one side and a larger motor on the other could be more efficient.

Japp i also have the feeling that could happen. With the small version its interesting. If the back bar is horizontal completely I feel vibrations coming up. If I shirt the bar a little that the motors are working against each other the virbations are gone. The same bar shifted in the other direction the vibrations get stronger. Lets see. The final version traditional with ball bearing and slipring.

View attachment 11150

Attachments

• ComDSLR_Brushless.jpg
    ComDSLR_Brushless.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 331

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I was asked about the calibration procedure for the alexmos board.

Motors are connected and the gimbal is fully operational. The only thing i do for the calibration procedure is turn the power to 0 for the roll and pitch motor. Than move the gimbal/IMU in the positions shown in the pics below as level as possible and hit calibration. Remeber the first calibration set deletes all the other gather data from the other calibration steps.

Following pics should explain :
View attachment 11180View attachment 11181
View attachment 11179
View attachment 11178
View attachment 11177
View attachment 11176

IMU faces all 5 faces of a cube except the bottom

Attachments

• Positionfourcal.jpg
    Positionfourcal.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 342
  • PositionthreeCal.jpg
    PositionthreeCal.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 343
  • PositiontwoCal.jpg
    PositiontwoCal.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Positiononecal.jpg
    Positiononecal.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Start2Cal.jpg
    Start2Cal.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 337
  • Start1Cal.jpg
    Start1Cal.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 291

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
so finally version of the DSLR mount.

View attachment 11568

HDMI board included and eventually gonna add holder for a VTX normal receiver and Lipo holder, to have it functioning completely on its own and have full 360 eventually for the pan.

Going to go with the Iflight motors for now just have the least cogging out of the motors I tested.

5206 for Tilt and 5208 for role.

Probably gonna make a second version for these motors:

View attachment 11567

Boris

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 293
  • ComDSLR_Brushless.jpg
    ComDSLR_Brushless.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 303

SMP

Ok, that thing looks right smart!!! You ready to print??

(Just thinking... with that much weight wondering if the Roll motor needs additional bracing along the Z Axis. Perhaps carrier with bearing and long shaft motor? Not necessary?)

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi SMP,

I had a version were the role axis was on a 10mm hollow shaft with 4 ball bearings. Than I got the iflights 5208 and they have two ball bearing and a shaft of 5mm. That has to be more than enough for lets say 1.5 KG to 2 KG, hoping that the motors can take it torque wise !

I left the sliprings out for the first version, still allowing 360 not continuous for the pitch axis and 180 for the roll and 360 continuous for the PAN.

Japp parts in the cart for shape ways. The shapeways material string and flexible is really nice ! To be honest some parts are at their max and i wouldn't trust the normal PLA ABS extrusion prints like from my ultimaker on this one.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
sorry smp didnt catch you post shapeways is a 3d printing plattform. Lets you upload your design and share the files or open a shop and sell your design which they than print out !

Assembled and roll and tilt are working. Cant install pan since didnt get the secong board yet. Little issues with I2C errors guess because the cable it too long. Gonna try to changing the resistor on the IMU, just have to find the post again which one and with what ! And I am an idiot the handle bars are much too long to fit through a door example
smile.gif
and i glued them on permanently
smile.gif
Ah what ever need a revision soon anyways. Couldn't deal with the slipring installation next version !

Sorry about the bad pics, lazy days crabbed the phone:

View attachment 12057View attachment 12062View attachment 12058View attachment 12059View attachment 12060View attachment 12061

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 327
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 285
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 221
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 274
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 267
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 267

SMP

Yeah, sorry bout that mate.. Took me a bit to figure out you needed to have an account before you could get anywhere... Doh!!

Got a chuckle... Looks like the beach bars on my bike. Good luck parking that thing ;) ;) (Gimbal looks nice though) ;)