Hoverfly Testing the HoverflyPro with no Rudder control interesting Ehh...

3dheliguy

Yes, the hoverfly has to be in the air for there algorithum to work and for the motors to start reacting.

Just wanted to thank everybody for bearing with me over the last 24 hours. And I wanted let everybody know I have found the secret to the hoverfly RUDDER.

When calibrating the throttle for the your hoverflypro make sure that the endpoint for beginning of your throttle coincides with the absolute lowest position on the setup menu, this whole issue was caused by the throttle range at the lowest end point being two notches up instead of one notch up on the endpoint. Meaning when u set it up make sure your endpoint for your lowest range actually leaves the screen and just add your one point in so that the throttle bar jumps back on screen as so.

This was a real dozy, but all is well she flew great, I can't believe that's all it took lol. I thought I was up **** creek without a paddle. Everything else was spot on like I checked over and over.

And of course it's like everyone says user error, but I wish the system was a bit more intuitive. So much drama for for one click of my throttle endpoint.

So thanks again guys.

Aerovideo

That's really weird, glad you got it working. I have to admit I've never messed with the throttle endpoints in the setup program. I just plug the ESCs directly into the Rx and do it there. Hmmm... now I wonder if I'm missing something :)

3dheliguy

Yes, Iris I agree with you on those points, but man something so serious for such a small increment of detail. I think they need to put that in the manual in there PDF format, that way individuals that first purchase the hoverfly don't get stuck in this situation, and get frustrated for such a detail. It doesnt help to have that detail that important on a separate page that I had to search for then try to decript what they ment.

Ah I'm over i will have to add to my notes as to what not to forget.

Stacky

A bunch of us use Futaba and the system seems happy enough.
You should send HF an explanation of the problem and fix, they will appreciate the info. They are pretty good at adding extra bits of info into their documentation and your added detail for the throttle range will help others.

Aerovideo, definitely check this page.

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-throttle-range-setup-for-hoverflypro

And make sure that you set the endpoint exactly at the peak throw limit in the software. If you haven't encountered this problem I wouldn't be surprised this system seems to not like futaba or rather my 8fg in a way.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I had to use the same solution steps but my symptom was totally different; the ESCs would intermittently not initialize when the battery was plugged in. It is interesting how the same problem had a different sympton on my setup.

3dheliguy

Man, thats really crazy, I don't dought it. It just seems like the system has some querks Lol. I don't know how to describe it's just freaky. Freaked me out at least.

Man its such a difference having tail authority he he, have to say I can see why you guys like the system tho, for not much tuning it seems very smooth I'm dreaming of the possibilities now.

Now that manual mode is going in the right direction... off to auto level and ironing out the little finicky things.

Thanks for inspiring me guys to not give up and keep on checking things... I hate getting frustrated no fun.

Stacky

Loud and clear Stacky.

Im thinking Al may need to rewrite the setup part of the manual again this time including some of the things on the zendesk knowledge base website so that the manual has the majority of info in the manual and not split between the manual and the help desk. Sometimes for people new to HF it can be a bit overwhelming trying to find all the simple little bits and tips to get the HFP in the air, especially if they have come from another system and are used to going about things a particular way. Your little battle is a good example of how having all the info in one place might have helped you out.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the HFP.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I am new to HFPro and just finishing up my build. I slowed down this last week on the build trying to figure out a few wiring logistics.

I could have worked a little harder, but I think in the back of my mind, I fearing the radio setup on the 8fg. I have a start on it, but not feeling real confident I'm going to get the radio setup correct ..... Long learning curve.

A better written, up to date manual would be very much appreciated, esp with the Futaba setup. Probably save me some money on repairs also.

Last night I was looking at the two battery alarms I bought. No frigging instructions. 8 or nine pin connections with a plus on one end and minus on other and then 6 or 7 more pins inbetween with 2s, 3s, 4s, etc..... This is fun, but slow on the learning curve because of lack of documentation for many things.

Anyway, I'm off to the basement to work and maybe in a day or two be ready to hook up the 8fg (minus props) and start getting everything set up. Maybe go read the zendesk to.

Aerovideo

jfro, If your battery alarm is like mine it plugs into the balance port on the battery and always use the ground as the starting point. So your 3s battery probably has one ground and 3 positive leads. Make sure the ground lead matches up with your alarm and you'll be set.

kloner

Aerial DP
just put together a new build with the only two things in common with this one is HFP and Plush 60....... and yea, no rudder..... tried 4.8, tried 4.3, calibrated the esc's 20 times

How can using suggested parts suck so much. My other 2 are simonK esc's and they just work.... the other POS with Castle esc's is a bigger pile of crap than this mess, but the rudder works.....

Stacky

Kloner, can you do a low flight and save the flight log and send it to HF? It might help. Im using Plush esc's on all 3 of my machines and am not having this problem but that doesnt mean I dont believe you guys. The flight logs can help a lot sometimes.

I did have a brief problem with no rudder as well back on a previous firmware a couple of months ago, I showed the problem to efliernz and we couldnt work out what it was. I changed radio rx and the problem went away but since then I have started to use the rx again in another build without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

I have 40amp esc's on the 2 bigger machines, just 25's on the smaller one. I have been using the Plush series for nearly 2 years now and out of about 30 I have bought I have only had 1 faulty one which went faulty after a bad crash.
I deleted a video of my rudder problem a few weeks ago because I thought it was a one off. I will upload it again. I had some rudder control but had to use a lot of anti clockwise yaw to keep it under control.
I had done one flight, landed, changed battery and then from lift off had the problem. Changed rx and havent had the problem since. pete (efliernz) thought it might be I had knocked something during the startup and so I forgot about it.

are you on 40 or 60 amp esc's?

kloner

Aerial DP
i got this going shortly after posting this. my observations where i got the voltage off the esc output rail pins and moved it over to the rx side, then the esc's calibrated like the manual wrote that you hear the cell count when it boots. when it was screwed up it just beeped once that it armed and skipped the cell count. my radio throttle endpoints wound up 100-100. PITA but man you wanna talk about one smooth flyer, holly crap

Stacky

I have found what i believe was the cause of my rudder issue on my waterproof hexa which happened just the once and have been able to replicate it in testing. I had broken board mounts and on a fast takeoff the board would move and then the vibrations from that move would give me a yaw problem. I doubt this fault is what is causing others issues but thats been my finding for me.