DJI CE Approval in Europe

Hi,
Can someone help me. I was looking in to getting licenced in Ireland to do aerial photography. I have an S800, Z15, Wookong, Datalink and Video link. I was told any products I use do carry out Commercial Aerial Photography must be CE approved as we are in the EU, if you try to use a non CE approved product you can't get a licence. Is this true? Should all products been sold in any part of the EU be CE approved? So if the DJI product line (except the data link) is not CE approved is it illegal to use any DJI product in the EU even if it is for hobby use?
Thanks

Bowley

First up you will need to see what the IAA are saying about Aerial work with Small unmanned Aircraft and go from there.

I have, that's why I put the post up. So does DJI have CE approval on there products? Even if I was using it for personal use the copter still needs CE approval to be sold in Europe as per my understanding.

ChrisViperM

Thats a tricky question you came up with.....

I saw you have a similar thread at RC-Groups and read the info there that you bought your rig in Germany....do you speak German ? (in that case I have a few links for you)

If you bought it from a dealer, than you are fine.....according to CE-guidlines, if the manufacturer doesn't have a branch or a representative in the EU, than the importer / trader is responsible to bring the necessary information about the products and its safety to the authorities. In this case the trader / dealer has also to carry the duties of the manufacturer.

The equipment you use consists of a lot of differen parts ( frame, motors, esc's, data link, video link, wookong.....), where basically every part needs a CE-approval, and on all parts are different guidlines to be used.....so it's basically impossible for a privat person (consumer) to sort a "missing" CE-approval out all by himself.

Allthough DJI mentiones a CE-approval on one of their products (ACE Waypoint) : http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/ace-waypoint/features/ (look top-left: DATALINK)
I couldn't find any other CE related information on their web-site.

So your best bet is to hassle your dealer.....he has to have the information.

Chris

Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry but I don't speak German I only speak English and Irish.
I have spoke to the dealer who rang me this morning and told me that they are in contact with DJI in relation to this, I just hope that it is made clear to DJI that its the European CE ( European Community mark) that's needed not the Chinese CE (which stands for Chinese Export) as they kind of look the same as a logo. From what I have read and understand it is illegal for any product to be sold in the EU with out this mark. You would think a large company like DJI would have it all in order. But please remember that it is not just DJI, I have looked into this with other company's and I can't find one that does have CE approval ( that doesn't mean that some don't have it).

ChrisViperM

I hope you get that sorted out with your dealer....either DJI gets their act together, or your dealer is responsible to provide the CE-certification. Just put enough pressure on them !!!

What I don't get is how they got all these containers with DJI stuff into the EU without questions being asked at customs. They just should be aware that this is a huge bomb for their business, since everyone would be entitled to throw their stuff back at the EU dealers desk and claim the money back (at least if it is not imported directly by the customer).

Please keep us updated.....

Chris

Bowley

Its a curious topic Damien, and one that is not a consideration in the UK. I guess its because there are no airworthiness standards below 20kg, if a CE mark were required this would rule out a lot of home built rigs.
Cant say I know much about it. I guess if that's what the IAA want its their prerogative and perhaps it will save you a lot of nause and hoop jumping in the long run.
I know there is not much standardization across Europe as yet although I predict that most of Europe will be adopting the UK system. EuroUSC are making inroads and are active in Holland and Belgium already I believe.

Hi Bowley, the CE certification is not a standard for airworthiness, it's a standard for all EU member states on electronic products like TV's, Alarm Panel, Cameras etc so it does effect you in the UK as if you use a non approved device the government has the right to take it off you as the device doesn't comply with European standards. In practise will they do it, properly not but that's not the point.

Bowley

As a former aircraft technician I am aware that CE is not an airworthiness standard!
All I am saying is that there was no scrutiny over this with my certification in the UK, whatever the IAA say is a different matter.
Your first question should have been answered if you have already contacted the IAA.
Your second question could be addressed by any DJI reseller, I'm sure.