DJI F450 Instability on take-off and drift to the right

RMO

After I power up I let NazaM GPS initialize untill it records position. When I first take off on GPS my F450 wants to tip over. When I get it up in the air it drifts to right requiring constant left aileron imput. I have to land record position again by flipping the home lock and course lock switch several times and after that it holds position and flies fine. If I change battery I have to start over again (fly, land and record position) then it will be ok. I have Turned the GPS module to the right about 15 degrees and I have completed both the IMU and GPS Compass calibration succsessfully. I think that I have the quad balanced. What can I do to fix this problem? Any suggestions?

Does it do this in GPS attitude, regular attitude, manual or all? It could be just the wind but if it is in GPS then you have a problem. I may have a solution once I get a little more info.

RMO

Hi, I did manage to correct the tipping over on take off by correcting a mistake I made entering the X and Y axis values on the Naza Assistant(I had reversed the positive and negative values on X and Y). While on GPS however, my quad still likes to drift to the right for a minute or so. After that, it will hold position fine until I have to change battery. When I replace the battery it drifts again and after a while it is fine. It seems like the system needs time to warm up. It happens on GPS mode. It is fine on attitude and I have not checked on manual. I make sure I give the system plenty of time to initialize before take off. I do not move the quad or touch the transmitter during initialization. I is this drift normal. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for your interest.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
This is interesting, I do not have the tip over, but I do have the drift to the right. I also let it sit, do its checks and wait for the rapid green flashing when all GPS's are locked on, then I take off, let go of the sticks and she drifts to the right. While in the air, I will use the IOC switch and go back and forth a few times, locks in a new home point and is fine. Very weird.

RMO

I contacted DJI about this drift problem. They replied that they are working on new firmware that will help with this. No date on the release of the firmware. They just said in a few weeks.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
New firmware for the Naza or the GPS? if it is for the GPS, I believe it has to be sent back to them......

Hi, I did manage to correct the tipping over on take off by correcting a mistake I made entering the X and Y axis values on the Naza Assistant(I had reversed the positive and negative values on X and Y). While on GPS however, my quad still likes to drift to the right for a minute or so. After that, it will hold position fine until I have to change battery. When I replace the battery it drifts again and after a while it is fine. It seems like the system needs time to warm up. It happens on GPS mode. It is fine on attitude and I have not checked on manual. I make sure I give the system plenty of time to initialize before take off. I do not move the quad or touch the transmitter during initialization. I is this drift normal. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for your interest.

Hi!

This may sound like another stupid question but I have to ask. Are you in a field, area with trees, etc? Sometimes I noticed that with mine it may take a bit to "find my exact location" and really dial me in. On the other hand I did notice that my dad's DJI phantom locks immediately. It is always spot on, but he does occasionally have to do an IMU calibration. That may help. Also, since the phantom runs off of different firmware, this new update may help fix the issue. Keep me posted!

RMO

Hi, No trees near the field but we do have a shed. Maybe I should try another IMU calibration and see what happens. I think, however, that our best bet is the new firmware.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I did do a calibration on mine, it said it was not required but I did it anyway to make sure. Still does it after the calibration.

Razzil

This is funny ... drifting right with the Naza. After reading this forum regarding this issue, people are more so having this issue lately on new builds. I have a brand new Naza-M GPS on a TBS Discovery build. I seriously have to say that I spent a lot of time shortening the wires, brading, trying to keep everything in the centre of hte frame as possible. IMO the build is perfect ... and I'm getting that drifting to the right issue.

Turn it on, and I'm not getting a great GPS lock right awayA
Switch to ATTI or GPS mode, I get Orange, Green, and the various red letting me know now many GPS Satellites its getting.
When I take off, get it up in the air a bit ... the reds go away, I have more Satellites, then I land.
I turn on GPS, let it sit or a few, then switch to ATTI ... and go fly again.
At this point, it flys pretty much dead on ... until I switch batterys, and its the whole process again.

I'm wondering if there were a bad batch of Naza's released, that need a firmware update to resolve. Sure this issue was present before, but its more so lately IMO. The amount of posts here prove that one.

Other than that, this machine flys perfect, which is why I really don't want to start troubleshoot issues that may not be related.

Definitally a guestion to DJI before I fool with my build.

RMO

I am sorry to hear that you also have the drift-to-the-right problem. If enough of us contact DJI to let them know about this problem maybe they will do something to correct it.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I am starting to think it is a GPS lock issue, most GPS take time to lock on to satellites. I sit and watch my VU while on the ground, I plug the battery in, I step back away from it and watch it have no locks, then to one lock and then direct to full locks.

Several green flashes to tell me it has recorded home positions, upon take off it will wander to the right and I have to take it out of GPS or keep correcting it, I then place it near me and switch in and out of IOC a couple of times to get a new home lock. It still wanders and I repeat the same and it corrects it and it is ok, so I believe it just needs more time to get a correct position.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I got a reply from DJI... here it is...

Hi, Dean,1. Only red flash indicates GPS signal. No red flash, means good GPS signal. So fly in GPS mode without red flash.
2. The multiple green flash means Course lock. Pls refer to user manual regarding IOC.

Best regards,
DJI Innovations
www.dji-innovations.com

:surprise: REALLY? like I did not know that already. I guess their Google translate did not work too well for them...

b0nafide

I have a brand new Naza-M GPS on a TBS Discovery build. I seriously have to say that I spent a lot of time shortening the wires, brading, trying to keep everything in the centre of hte frame as possible.

How do you like your TBS Discovery? I'm thinking of going that route for an FPV setup but I'm also considering the Hoverthings Quads as well. Did you get the Core? Any advice?

Razzil

How do you like your TBS Discovery? I'm thinking of going that route for an FPV setup but I'm also considering the Hoverthings Quads as well. Did you get the Core? Any advice?

I love it ... love it enough to invest in a Pelican 1650 case for it to fit in. The only advice is to match up some good motors, esc's, props and hold onto your pants. It flys like a dream. I went with the core for routing power, but I use the EzOSD in stead. I had drifting issues to the right and after re-routing every wire I could, with the same results, the place where I got my Naza decided to replace it, so I'm waiting on that to arrive. My advice ... go with the Discovery frame.

martdod

I was having the same problem with my Naza. Mine would after aquiring all the satelites and lifting off drift foreward and to the right in gps mode for about 3 minutes then it would settle and fly normally. So I decided it was a warm-up issue and decided to try allowing it to warm-up for about 3 minutes AFTER it had received the satelites and was blinking green. I do this every time now and it now flys perfectly every time. I believe the problem is the gyros need to warm up.

brantdw

Mine drifts to the right also. It was enough one day to send it into the dirt. Actually the top of City Hall. Since I have done the software update it needs a gyro calibration every time it flies. Once in a while it give the toilet bowl. Its just a crap shoot what this thing will do at any time. Dont really trust the Naza anymore. The drifting needs to be fixed. I love to fly the thing and get some great video, but it need to improve in the trust department. Your not alone on the righ drift.

I was having the same problem with my Naza. Mine would after aquiring all the satelites and lifting off drift foreward and to the right in gps mode for about 3 minutes then it would settle and fly normally. So I decided it was a warm-up issue and decided to try allowing it to warm-up for about 3 minutes AFTER it had received the satelites and was blinking green. I do this every time now and it now flys perfectly every time. I believe the problem is the gyros need to warm up.

I'm seeing the same behavior. Naza M lite. After about 30 seconds powered but with engines off, I get the fast green flash on the ground, then take off, and get significant right drift for a few minutes. Then it stabilizes and hovers on station pretty well. A question for you - do allow it to warm up 3 minutes with motors running, or off? It would be kind of a bummer to burn 3 minutes of a battery with motors running...

Next time out, I'll try the various tricks mentioned here, including giving it warm up time, and resetting home point when in the air.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Another forum member was telling me, DJI introduced an update that automatically sets the Magnetic Variation on the compass. It could very well be this doing what you are seeing, he told me a lot of stick input will help it calibrate, I kinda preferred to set the declination myself.

bensid54

One thing I found with mine was the location of the GPS antennae in relation to the controller. I found that if I located the antennae directly above the controller it would not wander as much and seemed to give better control in GPS mode rather than set the GPS antennae location in the software.