Do you use "Thread locker" on F550 Propeller Nuts? - CRASH -!

OBX

Guys,

I flew my F550 with Naza M today on another flight test.

Wind - 10-20

All preflight checks
I let the green led light flash to setup home plate.
Everything was good to go.

Im loving it so far. Except for one thing. Whenever I switch to Return Home Fail Safe,
it just flys up and then off to the left and away from me and the home plate.

I've done 3 tests for this so far. Not sure what the deal is.
Everytime I had hit the Fail Safe switch it just flys off. Once today it actually
flew past me and behind me. So I had to manually fly it back.

and the CRASH. ::::

I hit Fail Safe and hands off. It flew up 20m and starting flying off to my left like
usual, but I let it go this time hoping it would return.

Well, it tilted some degrees and starting flying back towards me. It flew past me fast and into the ground!!!

Hmmm. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it.

Crap. So I sent it off back to the folks I bought it from.
They set it up for me.

---- Things I noticed after the crash. All of these are variables. So who knows?

1. (1) Motor on the red arm was stuck. This might be the one that hit first.
2. (1) motor nut was completely loose.
3. broke 2 APC props.
4. No thread locker was used on these prop nuts.

Not an expensive crash but I just feel like something was not right.

Now I'm a little scared to hit fail safe when I get it back in one piece.

I sent the 550 off so now I just have to wait to get it back.
Still worried though. I hate to think the fail safe wont work right.

Rehost

I use blue thread locker on any metal to metal screw/nut/bolt.

Don't take chances, thread lock the shiznit out of it.

Dan

ChrisViperM

I bought some m6 nylocks but the shaft doesn't clear the top by one or two turns. Think that's ok?

Just turn the nylock upside down.....that way it's doing the same job, but the plastic insert will be on the prop side and be fully used.

Chris

ROVguy

Ive never thought of using threadlock or nylock nuts on my propshafts, it may be something for me to consider :S

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I always use nylock nuts. In fact it has been suggested to me to use two if the shaft with fit them, just to be sure. I wouldn't put threadlock on your prop shafts, they'll get more and more manky/horrible. Plus it's poisonous to some of the cheaper props and make them crack if any comes in contact with them.

Danub

I have never used threadlocker. . . Never used nylock nuts (but i like the idea). . . . Never "lost" a prop in flight unless I hit something in flight to break it.
I will be ordering some nylock nuts as it seems a great idea ;)

Rehost

Never had problems with damaging props by using lock tite. But then again I don't let it drip all over the place.

You can also use a serrated washer with your nylock nuts as double security but it won't be pretty to remove it.

SAR39

Never used threadlock, nylocks, or lock washers. Have over 1000 flights between giant scale, park fliers, helis, and multis within the past 8yrs and never lost prop/ plane, heli due to the nut loosening up.
If you're using the factory DJI motors with APC props without washers, they don't snug up enough to be tight. Just get a file, and file down the first 2 threads on the prop shaft. You won't need washers (vibration) or locktight after that. I've used APC, Graupners, newest DJI props, and have absolutely no issues. And if your motor gets locked up after a crash, and the shaft isn't bent, remove the lower "E" clip, separate the motor, clean the crap out of it, replace bearings ( likely to be damaged), reassemble, and fly. It's really easy to fix these things after a crash.