Hobby King Not safe to deal with

jfro

Aerial Fun
I ordered a $12 ESC programmer. It just keeps beeping once. None of the buttons, (up, down, left, or right) work. Just single beep, wait, single beep.

I sent in request for RMA.

This is what I got back.

We are sorry to hear the items you have received in order xxxxxxxxx seems to be faulty
1x #TR_PC/33282 TURNIGY BESC Programming Card To help us better verify your warranty claim, please supply us with a description on how the product is faulty, along with support information such as photos or videos that clearly demonstrate the item received is faulty (the support information should also state out the set up of the product). The support information needs to be clear and concise so our warranty team can process you claim promptly.

I put down what it was doing in my original email to them to customer service off their web page. Like I'm going to take an hour to take pictures or videos to document what it does. I already told them. I'm eating it the $12 plus freight and programing the old fashion way. It works, just a bit tedious.

That plus the posts here about the batteries has given me enough pause to find other places to order. I'm sure I'll order an occasional item from them, but won't buy anything expensive and always be last resort.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Yeah, must have spend something close to $5000 there in the past 2 years. Never had a problem worth writing about. I can't recall ever having something missing. I did actually get some freebies once. Some fancy replacement sticks for a Tx, unfortunately they don't fit what I have.

I've had a few things I bought that were pretty junky and unusable. Such as a $10 gimbal. But I only bought it on a lark and to fill up a shipping weight anyway. And just the vibe mounts that it came with cost almost $10 to buy in the US anyway and I can use those parts so... meh.

I bought some LED lights for my son's monster truck for Christmas. They came with no instructions, no voltage rating printed anywhere, I hooked them up to 5V and poof! Now I know they're meant for like 3V. Well, only $6... the same things would have cost $30 locally. And I bought 2 sets anyway so I still have one good set...

I've saved way, WAY more than I could have possibly lost due to a few missing or broken items. I mean, I might be out in total $100 in bad junk, and saved $1000's over buying local.

The only thing I really regret is trying to develop Arducopter on the HK600 platform for so long. The aluminum parts are super soft, and bend instantly, requiring replacement. The shafts aren't straight, and the bearings are rough. It all led to an endless cycle of fighting to get everything working smoothly, and then a minor pilot induced crash sets off a chain reaction of vibration resulting in more crashes due to the flight controller struggling.

I should have switched to another platform earlier.

The HK600GT is OK as a simple sport machine on flybar and a plain tail gyro. But don't put an FBL controller on it and expect results.

I've also had great luck with simple Turnigy 20C rated LiPos.

I can't imagine getting that worked up about a couple of missing drill bits. It wouldn't even be worth my time to bother contacting them.

Almost exactly my experience with buying from HK, always a chance of some small problem but I have saved so much the occasional problem is nothing to get worried about.

Indeed getting worked up about a $1.28 drill set is just plain ridiculous.

Pete

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Pete

Take pics showing the battery pack hooked up to the charger or meter showing the low cell or the error message. Get a pic showing the front of the battery as well as the side with the warranty sticker. Make sure that the battery is clearly shown hooked up to the charger with the reading in both pics.

Email the pics along with an explanation to support@hobbyking.zendesk.com ASAP. Be sure to include your order # in the email subject line

Mike

Doing that in a minute, one of the cells shows as 6.5 volts, all others 3.85, really crazy