something to bare in mind when doing pre flight checks

usnooz

I went out flying again today as it was a nice day.

Flew one pack and everything was great.

So i plugged in the second pack everything looked great.
Video feed looked good naza gave me all the right visuals.

I took off fast to get a bit of height. Went to bank left and the craft seem to tilt right. so obviously gave it more left stick to compinsate.

the craft banks right more ovbiously travelling at some speed by now.

It then dawned on me the my left and right controls seemed to be revered.
Well somehow i managed to wrestle with my brain and landed a bit heavy with a slight flip but no damage done and the ground was soft.

I took of again line of sight and everyting seems fine. Got some height put on the goggles gave some left stick and again the thing backed right.

As you can imagine this confused the hell out of me.

I landed the craft line of sight looked through the goggles only to realize the big oak tree and the smaller oak tree had swapped position.

Some how the FPV feed was being mirrored in my goggles.

I disconected power and plugged it back in and it was fine.

I just thought i'd make you aware as up to now its not something i've ever considered as a potential flight risk.

From now on i'll be doing a quick visual check with a point of reference to make sure what i see on the screen matches reality :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
wow, ive never seen that,,,, woulda been a handfull. my main checks are prop/motor/bolt related, never even considered the cam could do that.

usnooz

Yeah tell me about it. Never seen it before and i've had alot of flights out of the cam tx set-up
Needless to say i'll be keeping and eay out for it.
now i know about it i'll be ok even if it happens again.
Its that couple of second when you dont know wtf is going on and panic sets in. :)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yeah tell me about it. Never seen it before and i've had alot of flights out of the cam tx set-up
Needless to say i'll be keeping and eay out for it.
now i know about it i'll be ok even if it happens again.
Its that couple of second when you dont know wtf is going on and panic sets in. :)

Those are the instances when having altitude hold and GPS position hold are worth the extra weight and cost. Flip the appropriate switch, catch your breath, and then figure out what the **** is going on. Worst case hit the RTH function and cross your fingers there isn't a major malfunction that prevents it from doing its fly back and land itself routine. If it comes back, great, if it doesn't it was probably going to crash anyway...:hororr: ;)

Ken

usnooz

I do have GPS on the naza. I figured i prefered trusting my own abilty to bring it down safe. baring in mind that i thought the Naza had the problem.
The last thing i wanted it to do was climb higher or the GPS hold sending it mental as i thought the controls were switched.
I agree with you though. normally the first thing i would do is flip it to gps hold.
I'll put it down to a learning experience and hopfully i'll be better prepared nexttime.

Dewster

I went out flying again today as it was a nice day.

Flew one pack and everything was great.

So i plugged in the second pack everything looked great.
Video feed looked good naza gave me all the right visuals.

I took off fast to get a bit of height. Went to bank left and the craft seem to tilt right. so obviously gave it more left stick to compinsate.

the craft banks right more ovbiously travelling at some speed by now.

It then dawned on me the my left and right controls seemed to be revered.
Well somehow i managed to wrestle with my brain and landed a bit heavy with a slight flip but no damage done and the ground was soft.

I took of again line of sight and everyting seems fine. Got some height put on the goggles gave some left stick and again the thing backed right.

As you can imagine this confused the hell out of me.

I landed the craft line of sight looked through the goggles only to realize the big oak tree and the smaller oak tree had swapped position.

Some how the FPV feed was being mirrored in my goggles.

I disconected power and plugged it back in and it was fine.

I just thought i'd make you aware as up to now its not something i've ever considered as a potential flight risk.

From now on i'll be doing a quick visual check with a point of reference to make sure what i see on the screen matches reality :)

scarey. Nice catch though.